Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all the work my 2012 1.4 turbo has had, I thought I was done with everything ... and maybe I am, but it does have a small oil leak I'd like to fix. I cleaned the engibne really well and found it is on the driver's side of the engine, just past the cat, and collects at the meeting place of the engine and transmission. It is very small right now, maybe a drop or two max per day, not necessarily every day. The oil pan was resealed in 2018 by the dealer, but I did notice that the silicone has pushed out a lot on the sides, and am wondering if it is just leaking on the end. Dealer says it MAY be the pan; MAY be the rear main.

Do these engines have a lot of rear main problems? This thing has leaked almost since new, but was finally leak-free for about the last year after trying just about everything (last leak was due to oil consumption due to the PCV system allowing too much oil into the intercooler, which then leaked).

I could just leave it. Oil pan reseal at the dealer and local trans shop is about $600. There is also a chance that GM might buy it back (supposedly I was approved for a buyback due to the last turbo and cat problem but I haven't received an offer and don't know if I'd take it or not as I do like the car). Oh, it has 70,000 miles approximately.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,990 Posts
After all the work my 2012 1.4 turbo has had, I thought I was done with everything ... and maybe I am, but it does have a small oil leak I'd like to fix. I cleaned the engibne really well and found it is on the driver's side of the engine, just past the cat, and collects at the meeting place of the engine and transmission. It is very small right now, maybe a drop or two max per day, not necessarily every day. The oil pan was resealed in 2018 by the dealer, but I did notice that the silicone has pushed out a lot on the sides, and am wondering if it is just leaking on the end. Dealer says it MAY be the pan; MAY be the rear main.

Do these engines have a lot of rear main problems? This thing has leaked almost since new, but was finally leak-free for about the last year after trying just about everything (last leak was due to oil consumption due to the PCV system allowing too much oil into the intercooler, which then leaked).

I could just leave it. Oil pan reseal at the dealer and local trans shop is about $600. There is also a chance that GM might buy it back (supposedly I was approved for a buyback due to the last turbo and cat problem but I haven't received an offer and don't know if I'd take it or not as I do like the car). Oh, it has 70,000 miles approximately.
Pictures would help.

Since you mentioned oil in the intercooler and oil leaks, you should read this:
2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pictures would help.

Since you mentioned oil in the intercooler and oil leaks, you should read this:
2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues
I'll get a photo later.

That thead is what finally convinced the dealer to fix the PCV system ... they wanted to do a ton of other work, bit it was a combo of the car suddenly using oil, which it didn't do before, and the leak that made me realize it was indeed the PCV. I showed the thread to the tech and he agreed. Very good info!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,892 Posts
I'll get a photo later.

That thead is what finally convinced the dealer to fix the PCV system ... they wanted to do a ton of other work, bit it was a combo of the car suddenly using oil, which it didn't do before, and the leak that made me realize it was indeed the PCV. I showed the thread to the tech and he agreed. Very good info!
I'm impressed. Not many technicians I've meet are open to accepting diagnostic information provided by customers.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pictures would help.
Not sure if these help or not, but here they are. I am thinking that it is the pan seal since I found a slight leak in another area that is definitely the pan. Does tightening the bolts ever help or does it make it worse?

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Cloud Bumper

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part
Automotive tire Grey Automotive wheel system Carbon Tints and shades
Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm impressed. Not many technicians I've meet are open to accepting diagnostic information provided by customers.
The service writers are pretty good. Overall, I tend to trust them ... I may just have them do the work - the estimate is about the same as a local transmission shop I also trust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts