Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4, 130,000 miles

Hey guys. So recently I replaced my valve cover, spark plugs and coil pack. After doing so and starting the engine I'm getting a lot of smoke from under the heat shield for the catalytic converter. I've read similar posts on this forum with the same issue but could not find a definite answer. It doesn't necessarily smell like burning oil or coolant but that could just be my untrained nose. I removed the heat shield to get a better look and I just cannot tell where the smoke is coming from. It looks like it's literally evaporating off the catalytic converter or maybe just underneath it. Has anyone had a similar issue like this? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
2,211 Posts
Sounds like the oil cooler is leaking onto the cat and burning

·
Registered
CHEVROLET CRUZE LT 2017 WHITE
1 Posts
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4, 130,000 miles

Hey guys. So recently I replaced my valve cover, spark plugs and coil pack. After doing so and starting the engine I'm getting a lot of smoke from under the heat shield for the catalytic converter. I've read similar posts on this forum with the same issue but could not find a definite answer. It doesn't necessarily smell like burning oil or coolant but that could just be my untrained nose. I removed the heat shield to get a better look and I just cannot tell where the smoke is coming from. It looks like it's literally evaporating off the catalytic converter or maybe just underneath it. Has anyone had a similar issue like this? Thank you.

For more information about cold air intake for chevy cruze please visit website here

I have some thoughts on this.

Damage to the catalyst.
This device performs the function of cleaning the exhaust, if damaged or improperly operated, it is not cleaned.

Change in back pressure.
Due to the damaged neutralizer, the back pressure in the exhaust line increases, against this background, the engine starts to work incorrectly and begins to "eat" the oil.

Here it is worth resorting to options such as installing a flame arrester or stronger. With their help, it will be possible to achieve a decrease in back pressure.

·
Premium Member
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
1,992 Posts
You probably just got oil on the cat, and they get all bothered when they get all hot and lubed up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today I finally took off the manifold to see if it was the oil cool line and I don't see any oil leaks. Do you think this could be caused from the catalytic converter? It's a sort of blue smoke coming from right underneath of it but I just can't identify where it's coming from. Especially now that I have the complete manifold, turbo, and catalytic converter off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have to agree with @Thebigzeus on this one. The most common leak in that area is oil cooler the turbo oil line.
I don't see any visable oil though is the thing. I'll check again tomorrow but I stared at it for like 20 minutes trying to find oil leaking. It's an instant smoke as song as the engine starts.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
2,211 Posts
I don't see any visable oil though is the thing. I'll check again tomorrow but I stared at it for like 20 minutes trying to find oil leaking. It's an instant smoke as song as the engine starts.
Then you’re burning oil in the cylinders

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I can follow that. If that's the case what would the replacement be that I need? Sorry, still trying to learn this car. Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay thank you. I'll check the things you mentioned above. The turbo is brand new so I'm really hoping it's not that. Has less than 10000 miles on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts