Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2016 cruze with a bad turbo. After doing some research, I replaced the turbo, valve cover, front crank seal, spark plugs and installed the pcv fix v2 on the intake manifold that was missing the nipple. Initially, while running it smoked like a freight train out of the exhaust while idling. After running awhile the smoke cleared up. Took it out for a test drive and while accelerating, thick heavy clouds of bluish smoke was coming out the exhaust. I removed the intercooler and charge pipes and found puddles of oil. I drained and cleaned all the oil out. I took it for another test drive and found it to be better, but still smoking while accelerating.

I have performed a coolant pressure test and it held at 20 psi for around an hour before I released the pressure. I also performed a compression test and each cylinder was between 210-215 psi. I began to think the new turbo might have been defective and leaking oil past the seal into the exhaust. I installed a second new turbo and Im experiencing the same problem. I have put around 20 miles on the new turbo and has yet to get any better. I cant seem to find the reason why it is smoking on acceleration. Any ideas or things I might have overlooked which would cause this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I purchased a 2016 cruze with a bad turbo. After doing some research, I replaced the turbo, valve cover, front crank seal, spark plugs and installed the pcv fix v2 on the intake manifold that was missing the nipple. Initially, while running it smoked like a freight train out of the exhaust while idling. After running awhile the smoke cleared up. Took it out for a test drive and while accelerating, thick heavy clouds of bluish smoke was coming out the exhaust. I removed the intercooler and charge pipes and found puddles of oil. I drained and cleaned all the oil out. I took it for another test drive and found it to be better, but still smoking while accelerating.

I have performed a coolant pressure test and it held at 20 psi for around an hour before I released the pressure. I also performed a compression test and each cylinder was between 210-215 psi. I began to think the new turbo might have been defective and leaking oil past the seal into the exhaust. I installed a second new turbo and Im experiencing the same problem. I have put around 20 miles on the new turbo and has yet to get any better. I cant seem to find the reason why it is smoking on acceleration. Any ideas or things I might have overlooked which would cause this?
That hose I was talking about in my other post if you pull it off the intake you should be able to blow air in it but not suck air through it or maybe it was the other way around it has a check valve on the turbo end that I was unaware of until someone on here told me. My old one you could blow air both ways the new one only one way. I will let you know after I take a drive and see it sounds like yours is doing what mine was mine would run perfect then all of a sudden smoke like a jet to the point it would almost die then it would pick back up and be fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have removed the pcv tube and tested it. Based off what I have read on here, it is functioning properly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have so far put the hose on mine a new valve cover and intake fix kit v1 the hose helped it more than anything I drove it to work yesterday and thought I was good didn’t do it all day then as soon as I turned into my driveway it did it again not as bad tho so I’m not sure if it’s fixed or not I’m hoping that was just a bit of oil trapped in the system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered a new pcv hose and installed it but it made no difference and is still smoking on acceleration. I am begging to see traces of oil in the pipe going to the throttle body. Is there any possibility that the valve cover is bad without it making the hissing noise? I am out of ideas and need to get this car fixed. Anyone have ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
There was oil in my pipe going to the throttle body but I haven’t driven the car any more to see if it is fixed. I replaced my valve cover due to it leaking but who knows the valve may have been bad as well. It’s about a 30 minute job to change the valve cover so it may be worth a shot.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,594 Posts
If the original turbo was leaking tons of oil, it's entirely possible the intercooler and intake plumbing itself is full of oil and that's ending up in the engine itself. The cat converter might be ruined because of it too.

It is a bit of a pain to remove the intercooler as it's all sandwiched together. You can take a hose and some Cascade dishwasher detergent to clean it out - something that doesn't sud up. Take a shop vac or something to suck/blow the remaining water out of it before reattaching to the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i can’t tell that the turbo is leaking oil I have ran it without the hose to the intercooler and no oil come out. I removed both cats and the whole exhaust is new. I’m thinking it’s just in the system but it was my moms car and now there is salt all over the roads and I hate to drive it. I plan on it being around from now on. I’m thinking about taking the intercooler out this winter and cleaning everything. Only other thing I can think of is the tank on the bottom of the intake which was full of oil when I put the fix kit in it maybe I should’ve just replaced the intake then put the fix kit in it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have already removed the intercooler and piping drained all the oil out and sloshed gas back and forth in it and drained repeatedly until the gas came out clear.

I picked up a second new valve cover from the Chevy dealership and installed it but it didn’t make a difference and is still smoking. I am beginning to think it’s not related to the pcv system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I drove mine today and it is still smoking too not as bad but still smokes but what I don’t understand is I can run it hard all day and no smoke at all and out of nowhere it will start. I’m beginning to wonder how hard it would be to swap a 5.3 and trans out of a ss impala into mine lol I think I could shove it in there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Haha I’m thinking of burning mine to the ground.
Mine was my moms car and she passed so I can’t bring myself to get rid of it. If it weren’t for that I would probably bring some hotdogs and join the party lol. But in all honesty I do really enjoy driving the car and it does run and drive good until of course it looks like you drilled a hole in the piston. Just slap a diesel badge on it and roll with it I guess.

·
16,594 Posts
Do the plugs look oily after running a bit?

Maybe it needs a good high RPM - locked in gear 4 or something - highway run to clear things out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After installing the pcv fix v2 on a second intake manifold and putting it on and taking it for a couple mile drive, the car continues to leave clouds of smoke while accelerating.

While out driving, I did notice it smokes worse as the engine warms up to operating temperature. Once I returned and parked the car, there is a loud sizzling or boiling like noise coming from the area around the turbo/radiator/intercooler. The coolant in the tank is not boiling and has remained at the same level. I pulled The charge pipe off the turbo going to the intercooler and found it to be dry without any sign of oil entering the intercooler. Any idea what this noise might be?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No codes, runs a drives great. I have pulled the O2 sensor and is dry, no sign of oil. This is the second new turbo I have installed that is still having the same problem.

·
16,594 Posts
After installing the pcv fix v2 on a second intake manifold and putting it on and taking it for a couple mile drive, the car continues to leave clouds of smoke while accelerating.

While out driving, I did notice it smokes worse as the engine warms up to operating temperature. Once I returned and parked the car, there is a loud sizzling or boiling like noise coming from the area around the turbo/radiator/intercooler. The coolant in the tank is not boiling and has remained at the same level. I pulled The charge pipe off the turbo going to the intercooler and found it to be dry without any sign of oil entering the intercooler. Any idea what this noise might be?
Oil drain isn't melted, is it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I installed new oil feed line and drain tube when I installed each turbo. I will double check though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts