Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Never worried about it before since I had crap cars, but whats a better tire PSI in Snowy conditions, higher or lower?

·
Administrator
25,195 Posts
I find slightly higher PSI helps in the snow. Others have found the opposite. You'll have to test for yourself.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is my first car with traction control. It isn't the majic button I was hopeing for. I geuss with no traction to control it can't do anything.

The stabilitrack is awesome though.

The Firestone tires might be the problem also.

I'll keep my Suzuki SX4 AWD for the bad weather.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This is my first car with traction control. It isn't the majic button I was hopeing for. I geuss with no traction to control it can't do anything.

The stabilitrack is awesome though.

The Firestone tires might be the problem also.

I'll keep my Suzuki SX4 AWD for the bad weather.
That about sums up how to drive the car. Keep traction, and be aware that there is no "magic button" that will help when there is no traction! I'll agree, Stabilitrak on this car is well-sorted. Even forcing it to go nuts by doing handbrake/e-brake assisted donuts, it still straightens out the car very quickly.

Snow tires help keep traction for much longer than all-seasons. :1poke:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Most important. If you live in a place that gets heavy snow and ice and temps below 10 degrees, buy snow tires. Don't buy into the crap they put out about how superior FWD cars are in the snow and thing you can go anywhere you want just by having a FWD car. Where the powered gets planted has minimal effect when compared to what is used to plant it.

Sent from my XT912 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
467 Posts
Most important. If you live in a place that gets heavy snow and ice and temps below 10 degrees, buy snow tires. Don't buy into the crap they put out about how superior FWD cars are in the snow and thing you can go anywhere you want just by having a FWD car. Where the powered gets planted has minimal effect when compared to what is used to plant it.

Sent from my XT912 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Big +1 to everyone. Be prepared. Snow tires, emergency kit, phone, etc. I also agree that a big vacant lot will help you learn how your car reacts in a slide. Most of all SLOW DOWN and pay attention. I keep a tow strap in my truck, and have pulled 8 cars out of the ditch in the last 2 weeks. Every one of them were either going too fast or not paying attention. Leave you're phone in your pocket.

Keep in mind.... It's better to be late than dead.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm the 1% that doesn't believe in letting the vehicle control my feel... can't say i have ever driven in the snow with trac on... i'd rather drive sideways then to rely on the car.

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
I find slightly higher PSI helps in the snow. Others have found the opposite. You'll have to test for yourself.
I imagine it might depend on the type of snow. A tire will dig through the snow to get to the pavement more easily if the tire pressure is higher, but if you're driving on packed snow, a lower tire pressure might have more overall contact.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Any particular reason you choose to do 15" tires instead of the 16" or 17" tires that come on vehicles? I'm looking at my go to tire the Winter iPike for this car. Found some after market rims for $99 dollars/ea.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Any particular reason you choose to do 15" tires instead of the 16" or 17" tires that come on vehicles? I'm looking at my go to tire the Winter iPike for this car. Found some after market rims for $99 dollars/ea.
The narrower, taller tire will more easily punch down to something to grip, such as pavement. Floating on snow/slush is bad since snow has low friction. Pavement has much higher friction than snow.

They are also cheaper.

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
How does 15" even fit over the calipers? I don't think it will fit over the rears :(.

lol 15" is just too small for this car.. It's not a Prius. (I'm too vain for functionality, smh)
The fronts are larger than the rears, last time I checked, so that would be your biggest concern, and members have already done this so there isn't really a question if it's possible or not. I personally use 16" as I feel that there would be too much ride quality compromise with 15" tires, but I would use 15" if I was in a region that required me to use deep snow tires.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Since I have been driving in ice and snow for the last 60 years, the Cruze is one of the best and easiest cars to drive in this kind of whether. Very well balanced front to rear vehicle.

In regards to tips in driving in snow, if spending a couple of weeks in Orlando last February, even in swimming in an outdoor pool. Stay there, couldn't even get into my driveway, had to pull out the snowthrower first.

Have yet to use my ABS, downshift to slow down, takes twice the distance to stop. In a 45 necessary drive to Wausau last winter with solid glare ice on the roads, 25 mph was max, with the right wheels half on the pavement, other half on the gravel.

Studded snow tires were excellent, but made illegal, the idiots claiming its putting cracks in the roads. Snowmobiles are positivity excellent, but also illegal for road use. Its like they want us to get killed! Another thing that bugged the heck out of me was having a school superintendent decide whether its a snow date or not. His only interest was getting a couple more days off in summer like a quarter of a year isn't enough. That was a battle in town, but got the police department to make this decision. With fewer "accidents", they had a motive, less accident reports to have to write up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We just installed Michelin X-Ice3, 215/60-16 on steel. In the slush/snow they were great yesterday. There is clearance but 15" could be very close.
The ride is day and night better than the stock Michelin Pilot MX4V on 18". Noticibly quieter and smoother. I will hate to go back in summer to those awful stock tires.
They might be great for winding dry smooth pavement, but that's all and that is rare. There was NO other option with the RS pkg in Canada! Never liked them from day one.

·
Premium Member
4,092 Posts
21 - 40 of 69 Posts