Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
A young fella in WA was killed using one of these recently on a beach. The entire tow bar assembly snapped off the recovery vehicle and flew straight through the front windscreen hitting him in the throat. Died instantly.
Be careful using these!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
It was December 16, 1974 at 1:00 AM in the morning when this guy decided to be born.

View attachment 52761

Snowing like crazy, 8" of snow on the ground and the snow plow guys were sleeping, 28 miles to the hospital. If I did not have studded snow tires and a limited slip differential on my 70 Buick, would have never of made it. Sure wouldn't have made it with the Cruze. Her contractions were a minute apart when we got the the hospital and was born five minutes later.

Of course the fender skirts were removed and put away for the winter, while they looked cool, totally impractical, snow and ice would jam up like crazy up there. Wasn't unhappy to see fender skirts go in later years.

Speed limits were 65 mph back then, but not quite practical either in 8" of snow, but was able to do 40 mph.

If anyone tells me we are moving forward, poppycock, we are going backwards. Was stopped by a cop, he was curious as to what I was doing at 2:00 AM in the morning in weather like this, until he saw my wife. He did lead the rest of the way with his lights flashing, but not a soul in site. Least I had his tracks to follow.

·
Administrator
25,195 Posts
Today you would have been ticketed for "exceeding the road conditions speed limit". Love the baby picture.

·
10,697 Posts
I have found that putting it in neutral when trying to stop quickly helps a lot.. That's with an automatic tranny
It also helps when turning with a manual trans vehicle. Wheels only steer vs steer and drive/plow. Just be careful you aren't dropping N Bombs when you go back into gear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
435 Posts
6. If you haven't already, spend the $500 on a set of 4 15" (205/70-15) snow tires on steel wheels. Snow tires work magic for car handling in cold, snowy weather. Snow tires will ensure you stop and turn when wanted in bad weather.
^This! This is the first car I've ever put snow tires on and I am blown away with the difference. I went the OEM 16" route and I wish I would have bought snow tires for all of my previous cars. Last winter was a little frightening with the Cruze on those low profile 18s. Save up a little and get some steelies, you certainly won't regret it.

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
^This! This is the first car I've ever put snow tires on and I am blown away with the difference. I went the OEM 16" route and I wish I would have bought snow tires for all of my previous cars. Last winter was a little frightening with the Cruze on those low profile 18s. Save up a little and get some steelies, you certainly won't regret it.
^ Agreed. Snow tires aren't just for heavy mountain snow.

Sent from mobile.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Stay home! How come snowmobiles are illegal for road use? Just lacking turn signals, but can use your left arm for this.

Ha, my old Polaris would go over 90 mph with perfect control, and even up the side on steep river embankments. 5" of snow on the ground and my Cruze is next to worthless.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
die of carbon monoxide poisoning?
Even just stranded in a parked car your suppose to crack the downwind windows to some fresh air ventilation. This is so you won't die if you idle the car to use the heat. Can imagine the same rules apply to using any small stove/burner to keep warm.

I have a alcohol burner and small cookset in my emergency kit, could boil snow and make some coffee, tea or hot cocoa if I like. Could even fix a bite to eat, really just depends on what I decide to pack in the fall(I restock fresh items every 6 months).

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Bit of a nice shock this morning, forecast said our rain yesterday will turn to ice then snow, still raining. But perhaps later this morning.

Just a minor lack of fiction problem between any kind of wheel and ice. Never was a problem with my tractor, put chains on it. Nor was much of a problem with studded snow tires. But sure is now, not permitted to do anything about it.

What hasn't changed is still expected to get your kids to school on time, and get to work on time. They tell you to leave earlier, but at our schools at least, they don't open the doors earlier. So are you suppose to leave your kids standing outside?

·
10,697 Posts
Even just stranded in a parked car your suppose to crack the downwind windows to some fresh air ventilation. This is so you won't die if you idle the car to use the heat. Can imagine the same rules apply to using any small stove/burner to keep warm.

I have a alcohol burner and small cookset in my emergency kit, could boil snow and make some coffee, tea or hot cocoa if I like. Could even fix a bite to eat, really just depends on what I decide to pack in the fall(I restock fresh items every 6 months).
I have MRE's and a sterno camp stove.

Sterno Portable Folding Stove : Cabela's

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know its been a while, but just wanted to say this. Down shifting in the winter can be as bad as locking up the brakes. I had a geo that did that to me, I was trying to come to a stop (not going to horribly fast) brakes would just lock up and skid, tried down shifting and would also skid. As for the thing about tire size, the thinner the tire the better. Having said that, I have snow tires in factory 17" size and didn't have problems, but if they are saying any decent snow fall amount, I just take my 4x4 truck.

·
Administrator
25,195 Posts
I know its been a while, but just wanted to say this. Down shifting in the winter can be as bad as locking up the brakes. I had a geo that did that to me, I was trying to come to a stop (not going to horribly fast) brakes would just lock up and skid, tried down shifting and would also skid. As for the thing about tire size, the thinner the tire the better. Having said that, I have snow tires in factory 17" size and didn't have problems, but if they are saying any decent snow fall amount, I just take my 4x4 truck.
Geo and snow - definitely not a good combination, regardless of tires.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Just once did I have my 88 Supra in the snow, had to take my son down to the University of Chicago Medical center for a test only they could do. We got caught in a blizzard on the way home, 600 mile trip. Very well balanced car, huge rear tires, and a limited slip differential. It handled very well. Also a lot more ground clearance than the Cruze.

Ha, when the roads cleared, took it to a car wash immediately and went through twice to get rid of that terrible salt.

Want to here a bad joke? This stupid traction control on these new cars, even worse than worthless. And practically no ground clearance. Last time I recall getting stuck was like over 40 years ago when those AH's forced me to remove the studs from my studded snow tires, had to relearn how to drive on this crap. Next time, last year was in my precious Cruze at our local airport, only about six inches. If this car had limited slip, would have driven right out, but this stupid thing started to smoke the slipping tire, what AH's came out with this? Had to switch it off or will have wrecked the thing. Did get a slight tow from the airport manager, where in the hail are the towing hooks.

Really have a bunch of dump basterds running this country, lets ship them out to the sunny North Pole. Finally getting wise that salt is costing as much as 3,800 bucks of road damage for each ton of salt used.

Also have some odd 43 years, can drive at 70 mph again, another dumb AH in charge, 90% of the driving is done in city driving at 2 mph, so what did this AH do, cut the speed limit on interstates. Truckers and even me were getting poorer fuel economy, our vehicles were tuned for 70 mph, not 55.

Key and only reason for getting rid of vehicles when all this BS started, was severe rust due to road salt, what happened to "we, the people?" And why are we being so quiet on these issues?

41 - 60 of 69 Posts