Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I refilled my radiator fluid.. and drove an hour down the highway to the next town to see my girlfriend. I heard something weird...

When I looked I saw my radiator reservoir was boiling! Steam was shooting out the shoot on the right where it comes out but it wasn't smoking. I totally panicked ...freaked out....

Then I looked.... My radiator cap was not on all the way....err...oops... I just want to make sure that this is what normally happens if you don't have a cap on. It basically boiled for about 5 minutes then suddenly stopped pretty quickly.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
You're not an idiot. You're human.

Now, if you didn't learn from this oversight and repeated your mistake you'd technically be stupid.

Stupid = knowing better, but still repeating the same mistake.

Dumb = not knowing any better and not able to learn the correct method.

Idiot = being a jerk, like peeling your mustang out of cars and coffee right into a tree.

Read more auotmotive mishaps here:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/17-off-topic-discussion/206458-stupid-car-tricks.html

·
Registered
302 Posts
Very common for it to boil if not under pressure. I actually once heard that this was part of the reason a 6L Powerstroke blew head gaskets (I only heard it once and I know it's not the primary reason, but it might've been a contributing factor). Apparently the radiator caps on the 6L Powerstroke didn't properly seal. So there wasn't enough pressure to raise the boiling point and a 6L pretty much just pumped through boiling coolant, which is hard on head gaskets. As I said, may not have been the primary reason the head gaskets failed, but could definitely be a contributing factor.

I'm thinking if it was just for five minutes you're fine. Just don't do it again! :)

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,154 Posts
You're not an idiot. You're human.

Now, if you didn't learn from this oversight and repeated your mistake you'd technically be stupid.

Stupid = knowing better, but still repeating the same mistake.

Dumb = not knowing any better and not able to learn the correct method.

Idiot = being a jerk, like peeling your mustang out of cars and coffee right into a tree.

Read more auotmotive mishaps here:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/17-off-topic-discussion/206458-stupid-car-tricks.html
Don't forget - Insane: repeating the same mistake and expecting different results.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Don't feel bad I did the same thing. Drove about 6 miles and coolant boiled up like you stated but mine was the little plastic cap on the reservoir popped it right off. Was in a hurry to top it off when mine was leaking on the water outlet or upper water neck whatever it's called. In the dark and only got cap on part way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.