Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After paying child support, I figured that I would no longer have the money for a Cruze, so then I was considering buying a car with cash. Now that I have been applying for jobs like crazy to get the extra income and my parents are going to help me get a 2013 Camry SE, with my dads discount, I really should jump on it. I know this is a Cruze forum and I have a very strong view on the Camry, but I am glad that I will be able to get something new and nothing used. Just don't know if I want the 4 cylinder or the v6...

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
4 is peppy enough for in town driving. No passing power. We own a 12 I4 SE. Rides rough, but otherwise nice car.

6 will run you $27-30k, way more than a Cruze.

Why are you asking here? Go find a Toyota forum.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
After paying child support, I figured that I would no longer have the money for a Cruze, so then I was considering buying a car with cash. Now that I have been applying for jobs like crazy to get the extra income and my parents are going to help me get a 2013 Camry SE, with my dads discount, I really should jump on it. I know this is a Cruze forum and I have a very strong view on the Camry, but I am glad that I will be able to get something new and nothing used. Just don't know if I want the 4 cylinder or the v6...
If that is what you want get the Camry.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
You know I've never had a Camry but I grew up and driving Celicas. I've always enjoyed them. My Toyotas were 1980 Celica ST then I had the 1982 Celica GT. Also my uncle flipped between Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys . personally with the price of gas today I would go for the four-cylinder version because I would not want the added expense of the six cylinder. Just my opinion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
I would get the 4-pot. Better on gas, less weight over the nose so it will handle better, and cheaper to buy. I hate working on transverse mounted V6 engines, where the engine is shoehorned into the bay.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
If you buy it b4 07/29, you might be able to claim some of the 1.6 billion payout for unattended accleration issues that Toyota just agreed to.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Buy whatever you can afford, regardless of the make and model. Once you get solid employment and have stable income, you can go ahead and buy something. Don't do something rash and become the next episode of a repossession show.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you buy it b4 07/29, you might be able to claim some of the 1.6 billion payout for unattended accleration issues that Toyota just agreed to.
Lol... I think the whole unintended acceleration lawsuit is ridiculous. And I won't be getting it until early next year.

·
Registered
278 Posts
That's weird. You were so excited about ordering a 2014 Cruze LTZ in December and now you are getting a Camry?? What's going on??

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Camry SE is very fun to drive, with the paddle shifters and the sport suspension, it is a very decently handling car! Granted it isn't a sports car and never tried to be, I like it a lot! The Cruze is a very nice car, but I should just get a Camry, after all it is money pretty much being returned to my dad that works for Toyota.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
So you've spent the last 4 months on here, posting 243 posts, and are now going to switch cars? Get an Eco, which can be had for under $20,000 and tune it. You wont be sorry.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's weird. You were so excited about ordering a 2014 Cruze LTZ in December and now you are getting a Camry?? What's going on??
Well, long story short, my girlfriend and I broke up over some personal changes to myself and it just couldn't and wouldn't work out between us anymore, so now I will be paying child support in September on my 19 month old and in January on two more kids so I now know that the Cruze is out of the question and I do not get a discount on GM products like I do with Toyota. So I think I will just get a 2013 Camry SE 4 cylinder, use my dads discount and call it a day, after all I get the car for like $24k and some change plus the TTL, which is a heck of a deal since it is just under $30k msrp.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you've spent the last 4 months on here, posting 243 posts, and are now going to switch cars? Get an Eco, which can be had for under $20,000 and tune it. You wont be sorry.
Yes I did, because I was originally going to order a 2014 LTZ but now that I am pretty much going broke, I needed to consider something cheaper with everything I wanted. The ECO doesn't offer a lot of what the Camry does, I want the smart key, leather/suede heated seats, more room, proven reliability, the Blind sport monitor, rear cross traffic alert.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
If it helps your dad keep a job and smooths out family relations, get the Camry. Sounds like you like it, and you already know the strong/weak points. Plus you have an inside man to help with any warranty issues.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Between the two, I like my Cruze a lot better (choice of transmission plays a big role here). Between an auto Cruze and an auto Camry, I probably would take the Toyota...or buy another car entirely.

The Camry handles...like you'd expect from a Honda Accord (not like a barge like Camrys in the past). But it's still a huge sedan and it can't go around a corner anything like my Cruze can - there's a corner near my place that I like to take real fast - my Cruze can handle it with little tire squeal at 40, straightens right up and shrugs it off; the Camry feels like it's going to crash at 35 and angrily blinks the Stability control light. In addition, the ride is firm, road noise and bumps are VERY pronounced, and the transmission hunts gears a lot.

On the other hand, it's got a great stereo, fantastic climate control system, and lots of interior room. The interior is hands-down nicer than anything Toyota has made in the last 20 years. The Cruze will hold even with it til about 45-50 MPH from a dig, but the Camry definitely has more highway power - you just have to get the transmission to actually give it to you.

Between the I4 and V6, drive the I4 first and see if it's sufficient. Our old Camry was a V6, and we both comment from time to time that we miss the instant throttle response and around-town torque (the 4 has to find the right gear and it takes a second to respond), but the 3.0 was a much different engine from the 3.5. The 3.5, if anything, likes to rev up for power a lot more than the 3.0, and the 6-speed auto is very reluctant to drop gears.

Gas mileage is decent, but not great. It does about 25-26 city (trailing the Cruze by about 3-4 most of the time) and 36-37 highway (trailing the Cruze by 4-6 on the same trips). Expect somewhere around 19-20/30 for the V6.

That said, we've owned both around a year. The Toyota has had zero problems, my Cruze has had a ton. I still like mine better, and she likes hers better.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
The Cruze is a very nice car, but I should just get a Camry, after all it is money pretty much being returned to my dad that works for Toyota.
No, by buying a Camry, all you're doing is returning more profits back to Japan.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
Get a used Cruze. For cheaper than all of the above. Tune it and be happy.

I wouldn't put so much financial stress on your family. Trust me, when you are in real dyre need, you will need the cash more than a Camry.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
I would rather have a new Mazda 6 than any Camry. Faster than the 4 cyl Camry while getting better gas mileage than it too.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Between the two, I like my Cruze a lot better (choice of transmission plays a big role here). Between an auto Cruze and an auto Camry, I probably would take the Toyota...or buy another car entirely.

The Camry handles...like you'd expect from a Honda Accord (not like a barge like Camrys in the past). But it's still a huge sedan and it can't go around a corner anything like my Cruze can - there's a corner near my place that I like to take real fast - my Cruze can handle it with little tire squeal at 40, straightens right up and shrugs it off; the Camry feels like it's going to crash at 35 and angrily blinks the Stability control light. In addition, the ride is firm, road noise and bumps are VERY pronounced, and the transmission hunts gears a lot.

On the other hand, it's got a great stereo, fantastic climate control system, and lots of interior room. The interior is hands-down nicer than anything Toyota has made in the last 20 years. The Cruze will hold even with it til about 45-50 MPH from a dig, but the Camry definitely has more highway power - you just have to get the transmission to actually give it to you.

Between the I4 and V6, drive the I4 first and see if it's sufficient. Our old Camry was a V6, and we both comment from time to time that we miss the instant throttle response and around-town torque (the 4 has to find the right gear and it takes a second to respond), but the 3.0 was a much different engine from the 3.5. The 3.5, if anything, likes to rev up for power a lot more than the 3.0, and the 6-speed auto is very reluctant to drop gears.

Gas mileage is decent, but not great. It does about 25-26 city (trailing the Cruze by about 3-4 most of the time) and 36-37 highway (trailing the Cruze by 4-6 on the same trips). Expect somewhere around 19-20/30 for the V6.

That said, we've owned both around a year. The Toyota has had zero problems, my Cruze has had a ton. I still like mine better, and she likes hers better.
The 2012 Camry had a lot of small quality issues, particularly the road noise. For 2013 that was fixed and the 2013 I drove a while back was really quiet. The 4 cylinder has plenty of power and I do not see how you say it has no passing power!?! Sure the Camry is a heavy car and the 4 cylinder has to work harder, but now, I will be the only one driving it, except my friends piling in it, it shouldn't be an issue for the 2.5... The v6 has tons more power, but I have to stop and think, do I really need the v6? Sure the v6 is a huge sleeper, and I can't order the JBL on the 4 cylinder, and only the v6 comes with a sound laminated windshield. Oh, and do you have the Bridgestones or Michelins on the Camry?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh and you referring to the 3.0 in the Camry, yeah the 3.0 is a dogggggggg, my 1998 ES300 has it with the 4 speed auto and whenever I need to pass someone, it is gutless and can be scary sometimes. The car feels like it has less power than "200"... I don't like it, actually the Camry with the 2.5 feels more powerful, and the 3.5L is a ROCKET compared to the old sh***y, 1MZ and the 2.5 in the Camry. My dad works for Toyota and he swears by the 3.0L?!??

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.