Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your budget is tight - remember that you are not paying cash and therefore by definition you cannot 'afford it', in the strictest terms. If you COULD afford it you would pay cash. So, get the 4 cylinder. Besides, you will get a ticket if you drive the 6 cylinder hard, whereas with the 4 cylinder..... well, maybe only you notice that you are taking the car to it's limits! :^)

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,461 Posts
Only quality problem I'm aware of was the sunroofs rattling and transmission shifting. Don't have one, so no issue there. Transmission was fixed by an update 2 weeks into owning it. Otherwise, the powertrains are carry-over from 2009/2007, so they're well-tested.

Bridgestones...AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

We originally test drove one with Michelins, and they're about 238472347892789289 times better. The Bridgestones ended up on the car we bought from another dealer and they are atrocious. So much noise, complete crap in rain, not good handling in dry...and they're probably about halfway through the tread at 9000 miles. Not the car's fault - just a horrible tire.

I4 is just weak on passing power from 65-80. It'll do it, but it's not happy about it. We spent this weekend with it on I81 in the mountains with the AC running hard, and I had to floor it just about every time I just wanted to get around a left-lane camper. 4th gear, 3/4 throttle @ 3500 RPM just wasn't cutting it. Otherwise, great highway cruising engine and great for around-town driving.

She paid $20,000 for the SE with a power seat. Regular stereo is quite honestly pretty good, a little thumpy in the back seat.

The 3.0 V6, once it gained variable valve timing, was a lot better in the 2003 model year, coupled with a 5-speed auto. Very quick car for what it was at the time, and lots of effortless power.

Quite honestly, if they'd re-design the center stack in the 2013 Accord, I'd buy that instead. Fantastic driving mid-size, a lot more fun to drive. Between all of them? I still like my Cruze.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The Bridgestones are so bad, all of the SE's our family has had, they all had Michelins, before I sign the papers, I want them to install the Michelins. The safety is my main priority, because the Camry saved my life once, I know it would save my life again! lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Only quality problem I'm aware of was the sunroofs rattling and transmission shifting. Don't have one, so no issue there. Transmission was fixed by an update 2 weeks into owning it. Otherwise, the powertrains are carry-over from 2009/2007, so they're well-tested.

Bridgestones...AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

We originally test drove one with Michelins, and they're about 238472347892789289 times better. The Bridgestones ended up on the car we bought from another dealer and they are atrocious. So much noise, complete crap in rain, not good handling in dry...and they're probably about halfway through the tread at 9000 miles. Not the car's fault - just a horrible tire.

I4 is just weak on passing power from 65-80. It'll do it, but it's not happy about it. We spent this weekend with it on I81 in the mountains with the AC running hard, and I had to floor it just about every time I just wanted to get around a left-lane camper. 4th gear, 3/4 throttle @ 3500 RPM just wasn't cutting it. Otherwise, great highway cruising engine and great for around-town driving.

She paid $20,000 for the SE with a power seat. Regular stereo is quite honestly pretty good, a little thumpy in the back seat.

The 3.0 V6, once it gained variable valve timing, was a lot better in the 2003 model year, coupled with a 5-speed auto. Very quick car for what it was at the time, and lots of effortless power.

Quite honestly, if they'd re-design the center stack in the 2013 Accord, I'd buy that instead. Fantastic driving mid-size, a lot more fun to drive. Between all of them? I still like my Cruze.
The 2007-2009 Camry had the 2.4L with the 5 speed auto. The sunroof popping was only in 2007-2011 models. The 2.5L and the 6 speed auto went into the Camry in 2010 to replace the 2.4 and the 5 speed auto.

·
17,461 Posts
Nope. Sunroof was '12's as well. There's a TSB out for it...common complaint.

I'd suggest doing some research into the new model before deciding it's the right one for you.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My parents had a 2012 Camry XLE hybrid and traded in the 2012 for a 2013 XLE hybrid. NO PROBLEMS!! I have been in a Camry since the day I was born! lol

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Well, long story short, my girlfriend and I broke up over some personal changes to myself and it just couldn't and wouldn't work out between us anymore, so now I will be paying child support in September on my 19 month old and in January on two more kids so I now know that the Cruze is out of the question and I do not get a discount on GM products like I do with Toyota. So I think I will just get a 2013 Camry SE 4 cylinder, use my dads discount and call it a day, after all I get the car for like $24k and some change plus the TTL, which is a heck of a deal since it is just under $30k msrp.
But why do you need a LTZ or even a camry level of car? Why not buy a 1LT with the options you want for $4,000 less than an LTZ & under $20,000? Since you are the one going to have to make the payments once your working, why would you want to pay more & not get anything more?

You were looking at used cars, would not a brand new cruze 1LT be 1000 times smarter than used and give you a much cheaper payment than the Camry? I mean in reality the cruze is priced at corolla level so comparing Toyota to Chevy the cruze wins hands down.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The Camry has more than the Cruze, I get a heck of a deal through my dad since he works for Toyota and, honestly, I think it would be stupid to pass it up.

·
17,461 Posts
More what?

Interior space? Yep.

Features? Nope.

Sorry...you're really not getting that great of a deal if you're paying $24K for a SE 4-cyl.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
More what?

Interior space? Yep.

Features? Nope.

Sorry...you're really not getting that great of a deal if you're paying $24K for a SE 4-cyl.
I get nice suede and leather seats, power passenger seat, more comfortable car overall and I get homelink. The car is like $29,800 msrp and with the discount I get it for $24-$25k something like that, I don't remember the dealers quote but, its a heck of a deal. Plus the dealer I am buying it from, I get a 10 year/100k mile warranty. I also get the 2 years, 25k miles of Toyota Care. And the dealer is super friendly... more than I can say about GM dealerships. Whenever you buy a vehicle, the whole sales team takes a picture with you, and you sign the wall and hit a gong and they all cheer for you. Go into a Toyota dealership sometime and then you will notice how much more comfortable you feel. They take the time to get you what you want and need. They are not just in it to make money, they are there to earn your business over and over again.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
Not the ones down here unfortunetly. I recently wanted to test drice an IS350 i saw on the lot, and the salesmen looked at me and said "ARE YOU GOING TO BUY IT?!?" i said i didn't know and he refused to let me drive unless i was gonna buy it.

I guess that is what i get for walking in there. And it was a Lexus dealer, part of a larger Toyota Dealer. F that. I should drive up to them in my new car now and laugh at their face.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
They know my parents by name, as we get a vehicle from them every year and we are in there at least every other week.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Not the ones down here unfortunetly. I recently wanted to test drice an IS350 i saw on the lot, and the salesmen looked at me and said "ARE YOU GOING TO BUY IT?!?" i said i didn't know and he refused to let me drive unless i was gonna buy it.

I guess that is what i get for walking in there. And it was a Lexus dealer, part of a larger Toyota Dealer. F that. I should drive up to them in my new car now and laugh at their face.
I have never had that problem with any Toyota or Lexus dealers.

·
17,461 Posts
Youre quite the fan boy.

Our Toyota dealers service departments suck - very rude and I refuse to take the car back to 2/3 I've been to. Toyota care is a joke. They won't even change the oil til 10,000 miles, no matter that 10,000 miles weren't even put on the car in a year.

LTZ against a Camry SE? Hands down the Cruze is much nicer but I hate the auto transmission way more.

ermit, the IS is a piece of crap, especially the new one. Joke of an interior and any other car in its class is a better buy. Typical pretension associated with Lexus.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Youre quite the fan boy.

Our Toyota dealers service departments suck - very rude and I refuse to take the car back to 2/3 I've been to. Toyota care is a joke. They won't even change the oil til 10,000 miles, no matter that 10,000 miles weren't even put on the car in a year.

LTZ against a Camry SE? Hands down the Cruze is much nicer but I hate the auto transmission way more.

ermit, the IS is a piece of crap, especially the new one. Joke of an interior and any other car in its class is a better buy. Typical pretension associated with Lexus.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Yeah he is. He can have his Toyota Camry I'll take my 2013 Cruze LTZ RS over any car in Toyota line up.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
This is what happens when you never research other vehicles in the segment. You never see how the competition can be better(or worse) from model year to model year. If you ask me, the Camry is now in the bottom half of the midsize sedan segment at least.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I get nice suede and leather seats, power passenger seat, more comfortable car overall and I get homelink. The car is like $29,800 msrp and with the discount I get it for $24-$25k something like that, I don't remember the dealers quote but, its a heck of a deal. Plus the dealer I am buying it from, I get a 10 year/100k mile warranty. I also get the 2 years, 25k miles of Toyota Care. And the dealer is super friendly... more than I can say about GM dealerships. Whenever you buy a vehicle, the whole sales team takes a picture with you, and you sign the wall and hit a gong and they all cheer for you. Go into a Toyota dealership sometime and then you will notice how much more comfortable you feel. They take the time to get you what you want and need. They are not just in it to make money, they are there to earn your business over and over again.
Like any other brand, Toyota has good dealers, and ones who are horrible. Glad to hear yours is a good one.

Guys, it sounds like he purchased the Camry because he felt comfortable with it, the purchase kept peace in his family, and his local dealer will support him if any issues arise. We always preach on here that the dealers make or break ownership. Sounds like this one will make his ownership experience a pleasant one.

If we want to see more Cruzes on the road, we need to make sure we praise for good service and say what could be improved for bad service. Clearly GM needs their Chevy dealers in the area to step it up since they have a fierce-sounding competitor down the road.

Regardless, stick around!

Reactions: ErikBEggs

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
So are you going to keep asking us if we like Toyota's haha. Take it to Toyota Nation.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.