Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
If we want to see more Cruzes on the road, we need to make sure we praise for good service and say what could be improved for bad service. Clearly GM needs their Chevy dealers in the area to step it up since they have a fierce-sounding competitor down the road.
Great point! Dealers sometimes need that motivation to keep delivering outstanding service to all its customers. Please also send your positive and negative dealership experiences to us at Chevrolet and we will also work to address them.

Cheers

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Just a word of advice. Take it for what it's worth.

With multiple kids, looming child support (It never get's cheaper by the way) and uncertain employment. You don't need a loaded Camry. If you can get a discount through Toyota. I would start looking at the new Corrolla or a Versa and be fiscally responsible. Weigh the decision of a need over a want and think it with through logic versus making a purchase based on emotion alone.

Before I bought my Eco last Friday, I was a split second a way from buying a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited until I realized that I WANTED the Jeep but I didn't NEED the Jeep to get back and forth to work every day. So being somewhat sane, I pulled the trigger on the ECO knowing I would be better off in the long run.

Moral of the story, don't make a quick decision that you will be regretting for the next 5 years. If I had $28K to drop on a car, I certainly wouldn't be buying a Camry, that's the modern day equivalent of the Ford Crown Vic.

Reactions: JayZee and EcoDave

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
I wouldn't be caught dead in a non loaded vehicle. I am sorry, but I get a great deal through my dad, so why not take advantage and get a fully loaded one?!? Plus, the Malibu is the worst car in the mid size segment, well I would really leave that to the Avenger and 200, but the Malibu is nothing to be proud of. Around here, all you see are Camrys and that is a good thing, it means people like them and people trust them. I can see why everyone likes them, it does everything well. How many Camrys and Corollas do you see on the side of the road??? NONE... that can't be said for the Cobalts and Cavaliers.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
If I had $28K to drop on a car, I certainly wouldn't be buying a Camry, that's the modern day equivalent of the Ford Crown Vic.
Agreed - add a few more dollars and step into a new 320i. However like you XC_600, my ECO made economic sense and it is a great car for the money. I just got done with Child Support about a year ago and paid off my sons college expense too. There are much higher priorities in life than an expensive/loaded vehicle. Funny you call the Camry a modern Crown Vic, the owner of the car shop I go to for work on my cars calls the Camry a Japanese Oldsmobile - meaning big floaty cars - his shop primarily works on euro cars - Porsche, MB, Audi, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
How many Camrys and Corollas do you see on the side of the road??? NONE... that can't be said for the Cobalts and Cavaliers.
You obviously don't know much about GM cars, the cavalier and cobalt are not known to leave anyone stranded. Quite the opposite, most last well past 10 years with little or no maintenance. Most common cars on the side of the road in my state are VW of any kind and Dodge Neons.

I wouldn't be caught dead in a non loaded vehicle.
I have always wondered how someone could be so irresponsible and have not one but 3 kids before graduating, the story just never seemed real. Even if a kid could make such poor decisions I was always in shock that the parents just seem to keep silver spooning anything you seem to want. One would hope at least the parents would be a voice of reason & try to teach you some responsibility & not reward your poor decisions.

However I am now seeing you are just a new kind of troll, there is no way ones parents that have to actually pay for all your mistakes and poor decisions would want to spend the money on a loaded car, worst part is you seem to think/act as though your entitled to it.

The rate your going think you better ask your dad to get you a minivan, just tell him your planning a few more kids by 19 & I am sure he will totally understand.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I wouldn't be caught dead in a non loaded vehicle..... How many Camrys and Corollas do you see on the side of the road??? NONE... that can't be said for the Cobalts and Cavaliers.
LOL

My cobalt went 176,000 on the stock clutch, and full motor. Nothing ever broke on that engine wise, I think the only thing that I replaced was end links, shocks/struts, and brakes/tires tbh. I never even had to change a belt.

Take care of your stuff and anything can last for a long time.

This brilliant insight is brought to you via my Galaxy SIII

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Over the years I've seen a lot of cars sitting empty the side of the road. When taking out the no manufacturer seems to have a monopoly or even a lack of breakdowns. I've driven GMs since my first Fiero in 1985 - yes, the model with the no-oil change based engine fires - and never been stranded. What I have noticed is that most cars on the side of the road fall into one of three categories - driver error (SUV or BMW sliding into the ditch in the winter), flat tire with the driver not knowing how to change a tire or having a flat spare, and overheating. The overheated cars are almost always older but the manufacturer is very random.

Visit a Toyota dealership and take a look at the number of cars in for service. Visit a GM dealership of similar size and look at the number of cars in for service. They will both be very busy on most days and the vast majority of those cars aren't in for oil changes. I think part of the reason Toyota gets higher reliability ratings than GM is that during the 70s and early 80s GM had a real problem with their vehicles while Toyota was working hard to improve theirs. It takes a long time for that perception to change even with GM dramatically improving their products since then. Perception is why GMs tend to be rated lower than Toyotas for reliability and also why GM resale is lower than Toyota. When I look at the service folders for my wife's 2007 Solara SLE Convertible, which has 28,000 miles on it and my 2012 ECO MT with 33,000 miles on it, they are the same thickness, even with the additional purchases receipts for the roof rack and mods I have made to my ECO. This is a good indicator that mile per mile, my ECO MT is as reliable, if not slightly more reliable since I've driven further, than her Solara.

Edit: I'm not bashing Toyota here, just the perception that Toyota are better than GMs. My wife loves her Solara and I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I am a little puzzled, disturbed, and amazed by this thread to be honest. question..... Do you know how much your child support will be for 3 children already ?
I've tried to stay out of this silly, irresponsible discussion, but if I was the parent here, he'd be getting my '97 Civic EX (I'd put new struts on it) with the expectation that he'd take care of it until he got his act/life/career together. Color me old fashioned.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Ok... first of all I am not going to have any more kids. We didn't plan on having these... We broke up and are done for good, I couldn't live a lie anymore, because of that, will no longer be seeing them. My parents know that I need a new car and they are going to help me buy one. I don't see such a big deal. I considered a Cruze for a while, until we broke up and now my income will no longer be enough for the $28k Cruze I want, it would be best for me to get a Camry with my dads discount.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I vote to lock this thread. It's already consumed too much storage space.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I wouldn't completely cut yourself off from your kids. Try to maintain at least a cordial relationship with your ex - your kids will thank you both for doing this later.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Like I said, I don't care to see them. I have moved on and didn't want to live a lie anymore so I had to tell everyone sometime. Plus, we didn't get along anyways. Probably all for the best.

·
Registered
36 Posts
(snip)I considered a Cruze for a while, until we broke up and now my income will no longer be enough for the $28k Cruze I want, it would be best for me to get a Camry with my dads discount.
I question if this thread and background story is real or made up, but at 17/18 or whatever you are, with 3 kids, a $2800 car is more along the lines of what you should be looking at.

Regardless of whatever lie you claim to have been living, you still have to provide for your kids. You play, you pay. Simple as that.

A $2800 car will get you around just fine. That's $2300 more car than I drove at that age.

I've spoken my peace. Carry on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I question if this thread and background story is real or made up, but at 17/18 or whatever you are, with 3 kids, a $2800 car is more along the lines of what you should be looking at.

Regardless of whatever lie you claim to have been living, you still have to provide for your kids. You play, you pay. Simple as that.

A $2800 car will get you around just fine. That's $2300 more car than I drove at that age.

I kinda agree with the quote above. As your situation has changed, you should certainly just get something used but reliable. Besides with three kids you don't want anything too nice because it's just going to be messed up any way and eventually filled with car seats and stale cheerios.

****, I'm 27 with no kids and college educated and I can't even afford a new car. All my bills go to helping keep a roof over me and wife's head, along with our other bills and my huge student loans! My wife and I have recently just paid off some big credit card debt but yet in still we really cant afford anything with our student loans kicking our ass.

I truly want to buy the cruze and hopefully things will get better financially and job wise for me so that I can purchase one soon but with other priorities being more important than getting a new car, i might have to just give up on the dream if my Nissan dies before i can afford a new Cruze.

Save your money and put it towards your own place or making sure you can make those child support payments.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Like I said, I don't care to see them.
Like many others, I have tried to avoid commenting in this thread as it is quite simply rediculous (possibly a wind up I am starting to suspect). However, reading the above statement has shocked me in to asking the following question; are you referring to your children?

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Needs and wants are two different things, one should reflect on this when considering entering into a binding contract that requires you to pay & can effect your credit for years. In reality you need transportation but in no way need a new car or payment.

Do you have any idea what child support will cost? in my state 1 kid is 17% of your gross income, think 3 would cost you about 30%. Even if you somehow managed to have a decent paying job handed to you there is no way you will be able to afford a new car payment & insurance let alone the gas to fill the tank.

The difference between a $20,000 and $25,000 car on a 60 month loan is almost $100 a month less in payments, doesn't take a rocket scientist to see your "great deal" Camry is still outside what you can afford.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I wanted an LTZ cruze when I bought mine but my need was for just a new reliable car. Realized most of the extra cost of the LTZ cruze was not justified, I got all the options I wanted on the 1LT and saved $6,000.

Yes I miss the 18in wheels, sport tuned suspension, 4 wheel discs, leather, push button start & automatic climate control but once I actually seen what I was missing I realized those features were not worth $6,000 more. Some day I might get some bigger rims and when I ever need new springs/struts you can sure bet I will buy some upgraded pieces but not once have I regretted buying the cheaper car.

Its still a blast to drive, turns heads and gets great MPG.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts

I've been texting this young man giving him some advice about what he could do too try and get along with his I guess former girlfriends father. He only has one child right now his ex is currently pregnant with twin boys.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.