Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Old Asian guy decided it would be a good idea to pull out into oncoming traffic - right as I was in front of him. And the fun part is it happened in a no fault state, so even though he was cited for failure to yield, it's all up to me and my insurance company to sort out. I am looking at options, and one of them is simply buying a couple used silver doors and replacing them myself. Has anybody done this? Is it something that a shadetree mechanic such as myself can do with normal tools?

WP_20161025_17_55_48_Pro.jpg

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,428 Posts
Old Asian guy decided it would be a good idea to pull out into oncoming traffic - right as I was in front of him. And the fun part is it happened in a no fault state, so even though he was cited for failure to yield, it's all up to me and my insurance company to sort out. I am looking at options, and one of them is simply buying a couple used silver doors and replacing them myself. Has anybody done this? Is it something that a shadetree mechanic such as myself can do with normal tools?

View attachment 208962
Depending on who your insurance company is, they may not even charge you for the deductible, and go after his insurance company for the full expense. That's how the last couple incidents we've had were - neither were our fault, and our insurance (AAA) waived the deductible because of that and covered the full repair.

That said - people who cannot drive need to be off the road, now.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,085 Posts
Depending on who your insurance company is, they may not even charge you for the deductible, and go after his insurance company for the full expense. That's how the last couple incidents we've had were - neither were our fault, and our insurance (AAA) waived the deductible because of that and covered the full repair.

That said - people who cannot drive need to be off the road, now.
Usually in no-fault states, you only pay the deductible if you're at-fault, and the insurance company goes through subrogation to recover it from the at-fault party's insurance. I know Michigan and Minnesota work that way, at least. I don't have experience in other no-fault states, but should be similar.

It can also get strange when you have policies written in at-fault states, but the accident occurs in a no-fault state. I've had this happen twice. In the first incident, I had Iowa insurance (an at-fault state), the driver who rear-ended me had Illinois insurance (also an at-fault state), and it occurred in Michigan (a no-fault state). The result was that the driver's insurance paid the entire claim, including deductible.

The other incident occurred in Minnesota (a no-fault state), the driver who hit me while I was parked had Minnesota insurance, and I had Iowa insurance (an at-fault state). In this case, the driver gave me invalid insurance information. If the other driver had given me proper information, their insurance would have paid the full claim, including deductible. However, since the insurance information was invalid, my insurance wrote me a settlement check for all but the deductible, and sent the claim to a subrogation contractor to attempt recovery of the loss from the at-fault driver. If they recover any money from the driver, they will pay me the deductible at that time. As of right now (11 months later), that claim is still in subrogation.

As you can see, the interaction of various state laws can be very particular to the incident, so if you haven't contacted your agent about this, it might be wise to do so and see if they can help you sort out the details. If you are carrying at-fault insurance, you should be able to file a claim against the at-fault driver's insurance, even though the incident happened in a no-fault state. The pattern I'm noticing is that how it sorts out seems to rely primarily on what kind of insurance is held by the driver who was harmed, and it's just a matter of mechanics regarding how they ultimately arrive at settling the full claim in favor of the driver who was not at fault.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As long as there's no underlying structural damage (like the B-pillar pushed in), then yes, changing a couple doors is something you can do at home. Really the only part that isn't as straight-forward as you would think is getting them to line up and seal properly. For this job, patience really is a virtue. But since you have quarter panel damage as well, I'd probably just let the insurance company and a good body shop sort it out.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,085 Posts
I guess it depends on how interested you are in the cosmetic elements of the vehicle and how much longer you expect it to last also. I wouldn't be able to see myself putting all of the money into the labor for a professional repair on a car with your mileage. I could see going DIY with it, using salvage parts, though, as long as there isn't any underlying damage to that B-pillar. On my wife's van (2005 with 176,000 miles), I've just started taking a cash settlement whenever someone hits me and putting it away for my next down payment, as long as the damage is only cosmetic.

·
2,170 Posts
Bummer! As mentioned above, getting the door gaps to line up perfectly is the hardest part, and personally I don't have to patience to sit and readjust for a couple hours. I'd contact your insurance company and at least ask them a couple "hypothetical" questions as an anonymous caller shopping around for insurance just to see what their policy is in this case and if it will raise your rates.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the good advice. Turns out that my insurance company will likely waive the deductible and not count this against me, mainly because the other person was cited and I was not at fault in any degree. Looks like I will be made whole at no cost to me. Fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Thanks for the good advice. Turns out that my insurance company will likely waive the deductible and not count this against me, mainly because the other person was cited and I was not at fault in any degree. Looks like I will be made whole at no cost to me. Fingers crossed!
Glad to hear that you're ok and that your Cruze is gonna get some new parts! Could have been a :storm:

·
Registered
525 Posts
No input required from anyone now. We pay a lot of money for our insurance and if the other party is at fault you're dosh darned right my insurance company is going to take care of me in a no fault state. Charge a deductible when the other driver cited for failure to yield....we're gonna dance.

Reactions: diesel
1 - 9 of 9 Posts