Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a hypothetical question for all the members here who currently have a CTD. Simply based upon what you (we) know now about the car and some of its issues and the complexity of the DEF system and sensors (whether or not you have actually had any problems with your specific car), would you purchase the CTD? I am not asking would you purchase again, but would you buy the car knowing what we now know about the Gen 1 CTD.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
This is just a hypothetical question for all the members here who currently have a CTD. Simply based upon what you (we) know now about the car and some of its issues and the complexity of the DEF system and sensors (whether or not you have actually had any problems with your specific car), would you purchase the CTD? I am not asking would you purchase again, but would you buy the car knowing what we now know about the Gen 1 CTD.
I have a 15 with 20k miles, had zero problems, I bought mine in Jan 2016. So I knew of the problems prior to purchase, so I would say yes. Hoping this recall helps prevent sensor issues, would like to see a recall of the def tank and heater, it seems like a common issue. My issue is the warranty on the emissions stuff should be much longer and they fix this under warranty, it's total bs in my opinion.

Reactions: GMMillwright

·
2,170 Posts
A lot of that decision for me weighs on the cost. If it has a starting price of 24K like the last ctd, then no, I'll stick with the gasser. If they can get the price under 20K then I'd consider it, but I'd also have to test drive one with a manual transmission to see if it's any good. I'll also be much less tempted to buy something that I can't hide a spare wheel in, so I hope they find a better spot for the DEF tank.

The extraordinarily strict and complex emissions control systems which tend to go wrong and limit your speed are a pretty huge con. But from what I understand those can be deleted.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The original CTD was taken out of consideration for me for the simple fact that there is no place to put a spare tire. I also looked at the Volt (Gen 1 and 2) and they were removed from the running for the same reason. If GM fills the spare tire area with anything other than a spare tire that's a no-go for me.

·
2,170 Posts
The original CTD was taken out of consideration for me for the simple fact that there is no place to put a spare tire. I also looked at the Volt (Gen 1 and 2) and they were removed from the running for the same reason. If GM fills the spare tire area with anything other than a spare tire that's a no-go for me.
I learned firsthand just how inconvenient having no spare is when I was riding back from a friends place with my brother in his cruze eco. He took a turn a little too tight and gashed the rear wheel sidewall on a storm drain. Of course it was at midnight. We were only 15 miles from our apartment. I knew immediately the tire was flat due to the flapping noise and the bumpy ride, then of course the tpms started dinging. "Well this is a bummer, pop the trunk, let's get this changed quick. It's cold out and I want to go home" I said, forgetting that there was an empty void where the spare should be. My brothers wife and I ended up calling our friend to take us home while my brother waited with the car for 4 hours for a tow truck to show up.

I wouldn't completely rule out buying a car without a spare tire, I would just have to carry one in the trunk and deal with the missing cargo space. I'm already used to half my trunk being occupied by subwoofers.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
im not sure if youre asking aboot gen1 or gen2

gen1 - i know nothing more 3yrs later than i did when i bought it. WOULD BUY.

gen2- i know nothing aboot the car. not in the market for a car. WOULDNT BUY

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,891 Posts
Yes.

I've considered buying a second, if I found a used one for a smokin deal. If our friend the emissions system posted any big issues (from being maintained improperly, or not at all), it would get a delete. The rest of the car is more than fine.

·
Premium Member
3,202 Posts
i wuold NOT buy another one for the price of 25k out the door as mine. for 20k sure. great car but it is a nitch vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I was all in on mine at 13.4k with 3700 miles, I wouldn't pay 25 for gen 1 or gen 2. I am a frugal guy. I love the mileage of ctd but my preference is to drive a pick up.

Reactions: sparkman

·
Registered
253 Posts
My only beef with the CTD is the low run production quantity. One of the good things about GM cars is parts are plentiful and easy to get and somebody somewhere has experienced your problem. On the CTD I fear parts will be tricky to get, as well as finding someone that really knows how to work on/troubleshoot one. I've had my CTD since Feb 15, and besides mine, I have only seen 3 other CTDs in the wild. My goal is to get my CTD to 200k and see what happens from there.

I had a 2006 Miata. Low production run vehicle, and it had its quirks. I vowed never a low production run vehicle again, what did I do? ...bought a CTD. Not too smart. I just bought my wife a Toyota 4Runner, tons of parts and about 100k produced every year. For the most part that thing is a dinosaur, Toyota has been making or using the components on that vehicle for years. Nothing cutting edge or high tech on that beast.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I hear the spare tire thing and perhaps depending upon where you live that might be an issue. I have been driving for 35 years and I think I can count on one hand how many flat tires while driving I have had. Having said that I never drive tires down to wear indicators. I had a flat on my eco at 75 mph, it is weird to have to have a tow to get repaired, middle of the night would be no fun. I better stay home for next few days after making this post. ��

I am not concerned about getting parts. I find parts for 50 year old cars today, and resell them. They are quoted to have parts for at least 10 years and salvage yards have parts today, if they didn't keep changing parts like def tanks and heater etc I would go grab some for the cheap. I doubt a salvage yard really sees a dpf as a high dollar item today.

·
2,170 Posts
My only beef with the CTD is the low run production quantity. One of the good things about GM cars is parts are plentiful and easy to get and somebody somewhere has experienced your problem. On the CTD I fear parts will be tricky to get, as well as finding someone that really knows how to work on/troubleshoot one. I've had my CTD since Feb 15, and besides mine, I have only seen 3 other CTDs in the wild. My goal is to get my CTD to 200k and see what happens from there.

I had a 2006 Miata. Low production run vehicle, and it had its quirks. I vowed never a low production run vehicle again, what did I do? ...bought a CTD. Not too smart. I just bought my wife a Toyota 4Runner, tons of parts and about 100k produced every year. For the most part that thing is a dinosaur, Toyota has been making or using the components on that vehicle for years. Nothing cutting edge or high tech on that beast.
I know diesel vehicles (other than full size trucks) aren't popular here in the US, but in European countries and Australia I'm positive the diesel Cruze Holden and Vauxhall twins are much more popular. I'd imagine parts will be available no problem, but you might have to have them shipped over.

As for the MX-5, I'm curious what issues you had with that. My friend bought an '06 MX-5 last year with a mere 44K miles on it. The only thing he's had to do is replace the coolant reservoir due to a crack near the cap. That car was produced by Mazda while they were under Ford's ownership and it's 2.0L engine shares the majority of it's parts with the focus. It says FoMoCo in many places under the Mazda hood.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I know diesel vehicles (other than full size trucks) aren't popular here in the US, but in European countries and Australia I'm positive the diesel Cruze Holden and Vauxhall twins are much more popular. I'd imagine parts will be available no problem, but you might have to have them shipped over.

As for the MX-5, I'm curious what issues you had with that. My friend bought an '06 MX-5 last year with a mere 44K miles on it. The only thing he's had to do is replace the coolant reservoir due to a crack near the cap. That car was produced by Mazda while they were under Ford's ownership and it's 2.0L engine shares the majority of it's parts with the focus. It says FoMoCo in many places under the Mazda hood.
For the most part my Miata was reliable. I had to replace the Thermostat & housing due to the thermostat failing, known problem on Miata's. The thermostat would get stuck open and throw a CEL. The top tore in two specific points due to the way Mazda sewed it together, did not leak, but it looked terrible. The rain/water drains got easily clogged and would back up inside the car. The fix was a trombone cleaning brush. Every oil change I'd clean out the drains. The VVT actuator clattered at start up, Mazda/Ford corrected problem in later years. To change the headlight bulb, the car had to either jacked up and front tire and wheel well liner removed, or front of car had to be removed (not kidding). I broke a sway bar link, nobody stocked aftermarket replacements, easier/faster to get through dealer but more expensive. The outboard side bolster on the drivers seat wore out super quick. No local upholsterer would touch/patch because of the side airbag, did not want to repair and cause the airbag not to properly deploy and get sued. I ended up putting a seat cover on that was supposedly side airbag compliant. Never tested.... And at 130K miles, the gear shift knob came apart in my hand while driving. The car started every time I hit the key. Got 31MPG, was a blast to drive, I bought it with 28K on the clock and sold it with 169K.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hard to make that choice i have had 1 noo 2 nooo 3 noo 4 nooo 5 sendors go bad in the time i have owned my car all chevy said is oh well its not covered even though all the sensors partly control the emission components. and now considering my lease is ending soon and my buy back price is 15500 and the blue book is 10k so thats a bummer. Right now i am in the same boat buy another cruze (17 diesel) or look elsewhere. the power is nice it rides and drives nice but as others said its 26000 plus

·
Premium Member
3,202 Posts
Hard to make that choice i have had 1 noo 2 nooo 3 noo 4 nooo 5 sendors go bad in the time i have owned my car all chevy said is oh well its not covered even though all the sensors partly control the emission components. and now considering my lease is ending soon and my buy back price is 15500 and the blue book is 10k so thats a bummer. Right now i am in the same boat buy another cruze (17 diesel) or look elsewhere. the power is nice it rides and drives nice but as others said its 26000 plus
well im gonna delete emissions once out of warranty and a problem arises

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'd absolutely buy another one again, and I have even had a few emissions related issues. I'd still buy another one. The emissions system is really the only problematic thing about these cars, and if I have a failure out of warranty, it can be deleted. That is my plan if it happens to me. The driveline in the diesel cruzes has been pretty much rock solid.

Parts are not hard to get and won't be hard to get for a very long time. If you want a part, walk into a dealer, tell them the part you want, and they will order it for you. Or hit up rockauto.

The spare tire thing is not really specific to the Cruze or to gm. A lot of newer cars have been doing away with spares to save weight and make room for other stuff, in our case the def tank. With the combination of people who have something like AAA or a roadside assistance plan, the amount of people who get stranded by a flat tire these days is relatively small. That is why spare tires are beginning to go away.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I did and would! We bought our 2015 with 4,100 miles at the end of April 2016 as a CPO car and have already put over 12,000 miles on the car!!! We are enjoying driving it to the various diesel motorsport shows and events we cover throughout the year!!!

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
15 Posts
ah no.. I really like the way the CTD develops power and really enjoy driving.. But.. I've lost track of all the warrantee issues, from numerous O2 sensors, def heater and tank, once in limp mode, steering problems because of binding gear.. Yikes.. You really have to like it to put up with it. I bought 2014 model in Oct 2013 for ~22k, now have about 107km on it. It's been good for the last 30k or so, no problems. Luckily I got the extended factory warrantee. Normally I don't do that. That's the only reason I still have it..

1 - 20 of 54 Posts