Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yea but they discontinued the cruze, so no more ss dream

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
We weren't going to get one in North America anyway, but that does show what the 1.4 can be capable of. In that article they even say that the increase is most likely due to an increase in boost pressure meaning a bigger turbo may actually be a good thing to look into.

If you really wanted an SS. They have the Chevrolet SS which resembles the cruze in a way, especially the interior. Over 400 hp and torque
These weren't available in Canada, and the effort it would take for me to get one I'd be better off getting either a 2.0 Malibu and tuning it or a 3.6 Impala and again tuning it. But if Chevy has shown that it is possible to get more out of the 1.4 then we got it might be worth trying first

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Yeah, when I bought my hatch if there was an option to get the LTG 2.0 turbo(LNF is so 2007) I would've gladly handed over extra money.

Make the 2.0T, performance brake kit a day $3000-3500 option on the Redline and I woulda bought that all day. It could've even been auto only. This made a mistake not offering a more powerful gas engine, and a performance brake upgrade. It would haven't sold like crazy like people love to say, but it would've been very easy to implement for them, and would offered the Cruze to a larger market.

·
Registered
588 Posts
We weren't going to get one in North America anyway, but that does show what the 1.4 can be capable of. In that article they even say that the increase is most likely due to an increase in boost pressure meaning a bigger turbo may actually be a good thing to look into.

These weren't available in Canada, and the effort it would take for me to get one I'd be better off getting either a 2.0 Malibu and tuning it or a 3.6 Impala and again tuning it. But if Chevy has shown that it is possible to get more out of the 1.4 then we got it might be worth trying first
I'm sure the internals have been upgraded, injectors, intercooler, turbo, exhaust. Basically everything

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts

Yeah, when I bought my hatch if there was an option to get the LTG 2.0 turbo(LNF is so 2007) I would've gladly handed over extra money.

Make the 2.0T, performance brake kit a day $3000-3500 option on the Redline and I woulda bought that all day. It could've even been auto only. This made a mistake not offering a more powerful gas engine, and a performance brake upgrade. It would haven't sold like crazy like people love to say, but it would've been very easy to implement for them, and would offered the Cruze to a larger market.
at that cost it’s probably close enough to V6 camaro and can’t have the economy box giving the big brother a black eye.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
at that cost it’s probably close enough to V6 camaro and can’t have the economy box giving the big brother a black eye.
It would've made a ~$28-29k MSRP 225-260hp 4 Dr sedan or hatchback. It wouldn't have cannibalized Camaro sales imo. Because regardless of GM liking to compare the base Camaro to the GTi and WRX they aren't same class. The Camaro has a worthless interior space.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
It would've made a ~$28-29k MSRP 225-260hp 4 Dr sedan or hatchback. It wouldn't have cannibalized Camaro sales imo. Because regardless of GM liking to compare the base Camaro to the GTi and WRX they aren't same class. The Camaro has a worthless interior space.
While I agree a hot hatch won’t sway sport car owners like wrx or GTi owners who actually like a good drivers car. GM in their usual logic would see it too close to the spectrum and cut it. Besides terrible space the multitude of blind spots is horrible.

·
Registered
445 Posts
@Shroomie are you really running 28psi? I think you are past the efficiency point of the turbo. The volume really runs out about 23ish... thermally the turbo is injecting so much heat around there, you start to not be gaining much. You have to trade off over volumetric efficiency vs heat/lag. A t3 can still spool up plenty fast... you just have to keep it ready to spool ie shift later. My GT2863rs slams in around 2400 rpm in a 3 spd auto. In a manual, I believe it would come into boost earlier. The larger the compressor, the lower rpm required at the turbo to achieve the required volume. The lower the rpm, the less heat is generated. BALANCE is the key.

If you port the head it will spool the turbo earlier... anyhoo.... these turbos are NOT a T04... the power band is useable and staying out of boost is not always a bad thing. Easier to manage gas consumption. Even with a tune the cruze needs a small a amount of boost on inclines just due to the lack of displacement (torque). A T25 or T28 would be plenty for these motors... any bigger would just be for an all out drag car build.

·
Registered
588 Posts
@Shroomie are you really running 28psi? I think you are past the efficiency point of the turbo. The volume really runs out about 23ish... thermally the turbo is injecting so much heat around there, you start to not be gaining much. You have to trade off over volumetric efficiency vs heat/lag. A t3 can still spool up plenty fast... you just have to keep it ready to spool ie shift later. My GT2863rs slams in around 2400 rpm in a 3 spd auto. In a manual, I believe it would come into boost earlier. The larger the compressor, the lower rpm required at the turbo to achieve the required volume. The lower the rpm, the less heat is generated. BALANCE is the key.

If you port the head it will spool the turbo earlier... anyhoo.... these turbos are NOT a T04... the power band is useable and staying out of boost is not always a bad thing. Easier to manage gas consumption. Even with a tune the cruze needs a small a amount of boost on inclines just due to the lack of displacement (torque). A T25 or T28 would be plenty for these motors... any bigger would just be for an all out drag car build.
No, it was set at 22 or so, but you know how it is, you can push the pedal halfway and tps would be full throttle reading wot and 22 psi and during those pulls if you pushed the pedal to the floor It would make a lot of noise, but the boost wouldn't increase.

I told bnr to push the car and they messed with the trans too. Now in those situations when I push the ped to the floor you get an additional torque feel and the turbo spikes up to those numbers. I don't use it regularly. This was just testing and sending logs to them after they sent it. Also if I kept the pedal to the floor it wouldn't shift gears. It would bounce off the red line.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,486 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
I C... I wonder what the egt are during those events... I barely use more than 2-5psi during acceleration normally. I generally drive like an old fart 95% of the time.

·
Registered
445 Posts
It's there when I want it :cool:. It is my daily so I want it to last a while...

·
Registered
780 Posts
that does show what the 1.4 can be capable of
I'm skeptical of the reliability and longevity of that engine.

The old adage of "There is no replacement for displacement" holds true. For tuning and making power, at least in my diesel world, the VW 2.0 engine is easier to bolt a bigger turbo on (transplanted from some Euro models with higher HP ratings) and get an ECU flash to push horsepower past 220 in the US models. The Gen2 Cruze 1.6 engine would be hard to do the same thing. Those missing 400cc mean something.

For gasoline engines, that extra 600cc in a 2.0 engine means something. The LNF engine was offered with GM aftermarket tunes to make 290 horsepower that maintained the warranty. I think to get a 300hp Cruze SS, the 2.0 (or even bigger displacement) engine would be a better plan than wringing that much power out of 1.4 liters.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
A 300hp LE2 would be equivalent to a 428hp LNF. Or approximately 214hp/liter. That's an absurd amount of power from a street legal gasoline engine. I don't believe any road going 4cylinder has ever had a specific output that high. A 300hp 1.4 would probably have to be compound turbo'd to have any chance of acceptable drivability, and may not be possible from a reliability stand point on 91octane.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Plenty of high hp lnfs out there. I am tuned because I want the power to be available. I regularly give it the beans to clean it out or pass that stubborn jerk that doesnt knowbnhow to merge... I don't want my valve train to float and be working on it every other day. I have my sunbird and R6 for speed. Sad thing is the cruze has just as much hp as my R6 but it weighs under 400lbs. No turbo, just 19500 rpm of cammed,high compression glory.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Plenty of high hp lnfs out there. I am tuned because I want the power to be available. I regularly give it the beans to clean it out or pass that stubborn jerk that doesnt knowbnhow to merge... I don't want my valve train to float and be working on it every other day. I have my sunbird and R6 for speed. Sad thing is the cruze has just as much hp as my R6 but it weighs under 400lbs. No turbo, just 19500 rpm of cammed,high compression glory.
Lol I hate those assholes. Interstate and highways here are 65-70 mph. Get those sunday drivers who merge on these roads going 40- 45 and then as soon as they get in the lane they accelerate to the speed limit.

They force me to merge with 70+ mph moving vehicles going 40s.... so dumb...
I usually jump across to the left lane if it's clear and pass em before they even merge off the ramp lol. Illegal I know lol

·
Registered
780 Posts
A 300hp LE2 would be equivalent to a 428hp LNF. Or approximately 214hp/liter. That's an absurd amount of power from a street legal gasoline engine. I don't believe any road going 4cylinder has ever had a specific output that high. A 300hp 1.4 would probably have to be compound turbo'd to have any chance of acceptable drivability, and may not be possible from a reliability stand point on 91octane.
The Mercedes-AMG "45" engine is 2.0 4-cylinder with 416 horsepower. It's very close.

·
Registered
780 Posts
GM Performance had the Chevy HHR SS "stage kit" that could upgrade that engine to 290 horsepower for about $600 and maintain the factory warranty. It came with a new MAP sensor you could install yourself, a "PREMIUM FUEL REQUIRED" sticker for the fuel door, and you tow or drive it to the dealership for an ECU flash to enable the tune.

Ford has done something similar for the Ranger where you can upgrade to 320 horsepower and keep the warranty, with premium fuel required.

Chevy could have sold a Cruze SS with about 220 horsepower and the true performance fans could have bought a factory tune to get about 300 horsepower.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts