Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Some advice on HP tuners and boost 2011 1.4L

1000 8
Some advice and help with my 2011 Cruze eco. Those thst know me under my Cruzin2011 nickname knows the engine. Stock 1.4L with all ZZP upgrades, V3 turbo, catless exhaust, 42 pound injectors, CAI, ported intake and high energy coil pack, ZZP front mount IC Making about 103hp above stock with the 6 speed manual.

I swear by Tim at ZZP doing my tunes and the last one he did was for cold weather and not south Florida... And Yup, Im back in south Florida now!

I was only seeing 18psi of boost in the warmer weather. So I dove into HP tuner and started to look around, Comparing the stock tune to Tims, etc.

I managed to get the car back up to 20 PSI but I can't get it any higher!!

I have 10 gallons of 100 octane non leaded gas sitting here and I want to play with the car around 23-25 PSI!? And throwing some top quality octane boost in it if I see 25.

Am I at the limit of the stock MAP? I have seen 21 PSI an66d a touch into 22 but its a brief second.

Can someone give some advice on how to get that additional 3-5PSI out of it?

Thanks!

Jim
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· The Nuclear Option
5,870 Posts
Hi Jim.

Welcome to the forum. I previously had a V3 which I sold to @Thebigzeus and upgraded to a custom setup. I fully built my engine expecting 260 WHP+ on E85. What I discovered is the V3 is pretty limited, which is why ZZP now offers a bigger turbo. That is because boost does NOT equal power. Flow equals power.

The V3 is limited by what ZZP calls "the penny choke" area. They enlarged that area but it's still very small. My V3 topped out at
230 WHP (automatic transmission)on E85, 20 PSI, and 24lb/min of flow. And that was with almost every engine mod I could put on the car shy of Nitrous.

That being said the V3 is much better than stock, it just was too limited for what I wanted.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey JLL! Thanks for the reply and you probably remember me under the name Cruzin2011, all the ZPP bolt-ons making 243hp in my 2011 Cruze.

Lost my cell phone with all my emails and passwords on it just before going into the hospital.

I'm really surprised to see the V3 limited that much, I may look at the new offering from ZZP or maybe something from BNR although its hard to get ahold of them.

There is a good read on Trifecta about aftermarket forged aftermarket WGA making a lot more power than OE version. I was told not to use one on the V3 but I emailed Trifecta to get a second opinion.

Glad to see you got your build done, how is it on the road for drive ability and when the pedal goes down?

Jim

· The Nuclear Option
5,870 Posts
Hey JLL! Thanks for the reply and you probably remember me under the name Cruzin2011, all the ZPP bolt-ons making 243hp in my 2011 Cruze.

Lost my cell phone with all my emails and passwords on it just before going into the hospital.

I'm really surprised to see the V3 limited that much, I may look at the new offering from ZZP or maybe something from BNR although its hard to get ahold of them.

There is a good read on Trifecta about aftermarket forged aftermarket WGA making a lot more power than OE version. I was told not to use one on the V3 but I emailed Trifecta to get a second opinion.

Glad to see you got your build done, how is it on the road for drive ability and when the pedal goes down?

Jim
I wondered if that was you!? Oh no....

Are you ok now?

The custom build is done but I'm working through some runability issues. I should have updates on than this week.

Also, I know a couple guys who could probably you get into your old account. @Blasirl @jblackburn

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Jim
I was actually thinking about putting a 50 to 75 hp shot of nitrous on mine :)

Are you ok now?

The custom build is done but I'm working through some runability issues. I should have updates on than this week.

Also, I know a couple guys who could probably you get into your old account. @Blasirl @jblackburn
Thanks...

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was actually thinking about putting a 50 to 75 hp shot of nitrous on mine

I was driving from NY to Florida and got COVID-19 in NC.

I was so bad that I had to be taken to the hospital via an ambulance and stayed 5 days.

Are you ok now?

Ehh, I lost my phone while I was driving from NY to FL... I was half way there and I got COVID-19 in a hotel and ended up in the hospital for 5 days.

No idea what happened to the phone but all my passwords were on it and I had 3 email accounts that were all intertwined, so I couldn't recover any of them.

So a month after that I get a bad cough back, go to my PCP and have two masses in my lungs! It looked like a severe infection and was put on antibiotics.... 5 days later my lung collapsed and I had a pleural effusion and they drained 5 liters of fluids and I had 3 masses!

9 Days in the hospital for that stay... :(

Still recovering from that one and its going to be a long recovery from this second time.

Thanks for the recommendations on the two admins, Ill reach out to them and ask. I want to give you my email address In case I disappear because I would like to keep up on that build of yours.
On stock internals?
Is there any other way? 😂

1 - 9 of 9 Posts