Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Some Corvette Snoots Hate the Cruze

5K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  cruzindaley 
#1 ·
I have a C6 Corvette with with $3500 in bolt on performance mods. The car only has 28K miles on it and it's a 2006. I am a prominent member of the CorvetteForum forum and shortly after buying my Cruze, I posted a thread with the title: Cruisin' With a Cruze....um, uh Diesel. Dang...started a firestorm over there!!!:shocked: Here's basically what I said in my thread starter:

Cruisin' With a Cruze...um, uh, Diesel [HR][/HR]Just took delivery of my first diesel in a long time. We weren't happy with our GMC 1500 fuel mileage and wanted a really good fuel mileage car and I feel confident, we got it.

Coming back from the dealership, 150 miles we ran the best of 55.9 and averaged 54.6. We "Cruzed" at 72 on the interstate where we got the 55.9 and the rest of the trip was from 65 down to 30 mph. All-in-all, I am very impressed with the power and build quality of the Cruze. With the savings, I can afford to drive the Vette more often...and that's a good thing.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, if you want to read some fairly uneducated, snooty thoughts read the 39 comments in the thread at: Cruisin' With a Cruze...um, uh, Diesel - Corvette Forum

All I was trying to convey is that I don't drive my Vette every day, didn't need the GMC Crewcab since I sold my boat, and wanted a good daily driver with great gas mileage and decent performance. Some even commented that, in Europe some diesels got over 70 mpg and the Chevy Cruze doesn't have the quality of a Lexus....honest...you can't make this stuff up. Another guy said he couldn't believe that a guy who can afford to own a Corvette can't afford the gas to drive it. Some were pretty defensive of a great "brother" Chevy car with a different purpose than drag strip racing and road racing. Oh, well???? They're the ones missing out on a great driving experience, but not me...I"M CRUZIN IN A CRUZE!

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow lol... Oh well the Diesel seems like a fantastic car I'd love to own one but I refuse to buy an auto. I wonder what the Cruze "D" could get if it was coupled with the 6m ECO transmission.

#3 ·
Dang man almost makes you feel like you would want to sell that C6 ..
Nahhh just post up with the truly cruzen nuts here . then drive that C6 to get your blood flowing again ..

#4 ·
Wow.

Seems some people are too snooty to accept that it is possible to drive a 4-door sedan that doesn't cost over $26k.

I owned a Jaguar V12, a Bonneville GXP, currently own a 2000 Regal GSE and a 2002 Rendezvous, and out of all of those, the Cruze has the best fit, finish, and overall quality. The Jag V12 however was in a bit of a different league, but tipping 4100 pounds and being smaller than a Cruze, it was a bit of a tank too.

#8 ·
Interesting topic as I bought my 2014 Cruze a few days ago and was tempted to talk about it at Corvetteforum. I'm coming from a 1999 Cavalier that was falling apart and own a C5 coupe for the weekends, great head turner! To be honest the majority of that forum are really really great guys and they will help if you have issues with the car so it's atleast uncommon in the C5 section.

#13 ·
Interesting topic as I bought my 2014 Cruze a few days ago and was tempted to talk about it at Corvetteforum. I'm coming from a 1999 Cavalier that was falling apart and own a C5 coupe for the weekends, great head turner! To be honest the majority of that forum are really really great guys and they will help if you have issues with the car so it's atleast uncommon in the C5 section.

I know very well that the Vette guys love their cars and I love my Vette. Since it has become exactly what I want it to be, very comfortable, reasonably frugal on gas, runs 1/4 mile in under 12 seconds @ 118, so it's great to have two legendary Chevys! I also know that there are some that just have to say something negative about everything. I have posted nearly 1300 posts on CorvetteForum and love the comradery and technical suppport those guys offer...I think someone on CorvetteForum can answer any question you can think of on a Corvette. They helped me spend $3500 in mod money until I broke into the 11s (11.99@118) and now I'm done with mods...lol. Unless.....hmmmm, how fast could a diesel Cruze run the 1/4 mile, with a tune, cat backs, intake....no, nooo, NOOOOOOO!

#11 ·
But mate the Cruze Diesel with the clutch and gearbox from the Camaro or Corvette and see what happens.

#14 ·
Ha, the same type of criticism when taking my 30 year old Schwinn on the bike trails. How come you don't have a 7,000 buck custom made bike like mine? For one reason, I don't have a big fat gut like yours so not really interested in saving a couple of ounces in bike weight and paying 7000 bucks more.

Still say a luxury vehicle is a 1980 Ford pickup with a good drivetrain with rust holes and the bed loaded with manure. When parked, no one would even come close to that darn thing, so don't have to be concerned about key scratches or banging their doors into yours. Even if they did, wouldn't care.

Ha, even with my bottom of the barrel Cruze, I worry about things like this and very careful where I park it. Even if it means walking a couple of extra blocks.

#15 ·
I can't stop cracking up at that thread. Lexus Vs Cruze really?

You bought it to pay for Gas for the C6? LOL. It's too funny, It's a weekend car, how much can you possibly spend? This is why i avoid going to any BMW forum, bunch of young goons that think they drive Lambos.

#17 ·
Some silly remarks on that thread but really, no more than you would see on any other car forum. Heck, there are worse threads on CruzeTalk :)

Can't wait to trade my GXP in on a C6/7 vette. Love the GXP but it has 2 too many doors and not enough rubber on the ground.

#18 ·
Ha, a Vette tried to keep up with my Supra on a curvy road in its newer days, but lost it and ended up in a farmers field. But I gather they are making them better today. 0-60 or 1/4 mile times don't mean a darn thing on a curvy road. CG factor of 0.98 does.

#20 ·
Some people...

I think there's too many Vette and Mustang owners in a league of their own, yet separate leagues. Because if you turn them against each other, it gets worse.

#21 ·
I wonder of some of those guys are jealous. There apparently is a one year wait for the Corvette but you can walk into most Chevy dealerships and pick up the Cruze Diesel now. :) I really enjoyed the comparisons.

#25 ·
The C6 guys period are more often than not snobbish pricks. I tried getting to know some of them when I had my '06, but good grief!! It isn't limited to CF, it's local as well.

I like the C5 and older guys. Way more laid back. Sold the '06, I'm shopping for a C4 project now.

I also have a 400whp LT1 Formula. Get around the LS1 f-body guys and you would think they were related to C6 guys.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.