Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Came across this earlier while trying to find instructions for replacing the clutch fluid.

https://www.diagnostics.org.uk/2010/01/m32-6-speed-manual-transmission-1-9-cdti-vxr/

This describes the 6th gear shaft bearing failure we are over-filling these transmissions to prevent.

This describes the 3-cone synchronizer for the 1-2 shift, whereas the other shifts have a 2-cone synchronizer. This leads me to believe it is more sensitive to the fluid used.

Further down, we find that this transmission requires - get this - an 80-weight gear oil. It also lists transmissions that use the same fluid. Perhaps we can cross-reference those transmissions to vehicles to research the fluid better. This explains why a 90-weight fluid is not at all suitable for this transmission.

Amsoil Synchromesh IIRC is very close to an 80 weight, which would explain why it works so well.

The maximum input torque is 320nm, which comes out to 236lb-ft. Looks like we have a lot of overhead with these!

I saved the best for last. Rated fluid capacity is 2.4 liters, which is...drumroll...2.536 quarts! The factory has been under-filling this transmission the whole time! We haven't been over-filling, we've actually been filling the correct level!

Lots of great info in that link. Definitely check it out.

Sent from mobile.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
We should note that it is it safe to assume the information provided by this website M32 6-speed manual transmission. 1.9 CDTi & VXR | Diagnostics.org.uk or anyone giving information about this m32 transmission from this website are not affiliated with GM or any represenatives of GM or any engineers involved with the design of this transmission and that the opinions expressed by this website are that of its creators.

Can we confirm that any of this information is offical ?

I start having doubts about this websites information when it shows 2.4 fill liters when chevrolet lists 2 fill liters.... who am i to believe ?

On that website the part number lists actually links to a 75-90w gearbox oil GL-5 http://www.findpart.org/part/gen-9120541

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We should note that it is it safe to assume the information provided by this website M32 6-speed manual transmission. 1.9 CDTi & VXR | Diagnostics.org.uk or anyone giving information about this m32 transmission from this website are not affiliated with GM or any represenatives of GM or any engineers involved with the design of this transmission and that the opinions expressed by this website are that of its creators.

Can we confirm that any of this information is offical ?

I start having doubts about this websites information when it shows 2.4 fill liters when chevrolet lists 2 fill liters.... who am i to believe ?

On that website the part number lists actually links to a 75-90w gearbox oil GL-5 http://www.findpart.org/part/gen-9120541
GM's track record for fluid capacities on the Cruze is bad as it is. The fluid itself has documented issues directly related to it. You may be an exception since your driving is 100% highway.

GM didn't design this transmission here in the US. It is an Opel transmission designed in Europe.

I'll check the link when I have a chance, but the information noted is spot on with our findings. The trans calls for an 80 weight oil and those who ran a 90 weight had notchy shifting and little improvement in the 1-2 shift grind. I question the accuracy of the fluid labels here in the US. I know for a fact the factory oil is not a 90 weight.

Who are you to believe? Well, when there are documented 6th gear bearing failures as a direct result of oil starvation and the guys in the UK recommend going to 2.5 quarts instead of 2, I'd believe the guys who dropped 6th gear bearings.

In case you're wondering, we have indeed had reports of this bearing failure here in the US on one of the Facebook groups I moderate.

Sent from mobile.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
It's a GLOBAL world!

"Global" products = "Global" problems = "Global" solutions = "Global" information sharing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts