Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So up here in minnesota we had a pingpong sized hail storm last night. Being only twenty years old i have no idea what to do from here, never had this happen to me before. My little baby looks kinda like a golf ball. Ive been told to call my insurance, and then others tell me not to. What should i do?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Call your insurance. If you have multiple affected cars on your policy, make sure they're aware as some will only charge one deductible for all.

Your insurance will let you know what to do. Last time I had it they sent Mr yo a response team for a baseline, then I got two more and chose the highest from the most reputable shop. They handled all supplement's. Easy peasy.

·
Administrator
25,080 Posts
Call your insurance. This should go against comprehensive as it's hail damage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah I played that game when my cruze was only 4 months old.
-Call up you insurance company, if it was a significant storm they'll be taking loads of calls.
-They'll get you set up with an accessor who will give you a dollar amount to fix the car or tell you it's totaled.
-They will ask if you have a repair shop in mind, if not they'll recommend one.
-You take that dollar amount and your car to the repair shop of your choosing and get their quote.
-If the repair quote is higher than the insurance quote get back I touch with your insurance company and they'll hash it out with the repair shop.
-Make an appointment and prepare yourself it could take a while till it's fixed.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Soccer33-

I'm also in Minnesota, and I lucked out we didn't have hail where I was. My next door neighbor does Paintless dent repair for a living. Make a claim with your insurance and find a company that does paintless dent repair or many body shops have these PDR guys sub contract to the body shops.

If you deal directly with the PDR company you may be able to negotiate a discounted price, such that you will minimize your comprehensive deductible.

However, there's some damage that PDR can't repair. In that case insurance has to pay you for body panel replacement and paint. One of these areas is around the window trim.

Check with your insurance and get a claim started. Ask them how long you can keep the claim open and have it fixed. Shops are going to be crazy busy for the next 4-6 weeks, and you may be able to negotiate more when the current rush calms down.

Would you have the entire car fixed, or potentially live with some small marks? For example, insurance pays more to fix roofs that hoods, because the tools they use require the hood liner and trim inside the car to be removed. If there's only a small marks on the hood sometimes it's an option to take the money for that panel and put it twards your deductible.

All things to consider. Or you drop it off at the body shop and see what you get back. I've learned a lot from this neighbor about the art of how dents are fixed and bid. I'll take one dent on the metal surround of the window for example and pocket the insurance money for the new door, and have the PDR guy fix the door panel.

Also depends on how hard you got hit. What's removable by PDR, and what requires new body panels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts