Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my automatic shifter there's a part where you can switch it into manual mode.
is there any benefit to driving in the manual mode and exactly how does it work? does it make you go quicker?

a couple times i have acidentally bumped the shifter into the manual mode while driving and the engine sounds like it's about to break! scared the blank outta me, but think it would be cool to play around with if someone can give me a simple online lesson

:signlol:

·
Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,233 Posts
on my automatic shifter there's a part where you can switch it into manual mode.
is there any benefit to driving in the manual mode and exactly how does it work? does it make you go quicker?

a couple times i have acidentally bumped the shifter into the manual mode while driving and the engine sounds like it's about to break! scared the blank outta me, but think it would be cool to play around with if someone can give me a simple online lesson
Great question, MamaCruze. I drive a manual transmission Cruze so will defer to the resident CruzeTALK gurus familiar with the the Cruze's 6-speed autobox to offer you a more detailed, easy-to-understand tutorial. In the meanwhile, be sure to check out the YouTube video shown below which explains the Cruze's manual mode in 18 seconds flat.

Until we meet again pretty lady, Happy Trails To You! :eek:

Other information sources:
Automatic Box, Manual mode questions!
Automatic gear box - manual mode?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
When I use it ill shift at 2500-3000 rpm. You can shift whenever but if the car refuses you'll get a "Shift Denied" message. You do not need to downshift at all, the trans will do it for you.

·
Registered
479 Posts
its so easy mama cruze its unreal .... all you have to do is move the stick forward to change up and pull back to change down. this can also be usefull if you are going down a very steep hill and want to change down to do engine braking . if its still a bit hard for you to understand ask one of your friends who has some sort of knowledge with maunels . or even better go to your dealer where you bought the car and ask the sales man . best of ringing in advanced befor cruzing up

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
You can increase your MPG in and around town by utilizing the manumatic mode . When coming to a stop light or at the light shift to manu mode , shift up 1 to second gear . That will be displayed on the DIC ( 2 ) start out slow at 2000 RPM's shift up to 3 rd and then 4 th and so on . You can safely drive 30 MPH in 6 th at low RPM"s . This takes a lot of practice to achieve and Patience .

My daily commute ( city ) is a resounding 29.6 Mpg which impresses me for the 1.8 auto .

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
You ever drive on a 35mph street with traffic flowing at 38-45mph? you will feel your automatic in D hunting between 5th and 6th gear(since the car shifts into 6th at 42mph & downshifts back to 5th at 40mph). With manual made at 35mph if you bump the lever into M it will just hold 5th gear until you decide to upshift to 6th. This would eliminate this unwanted constant shifting as you speed hovers around the shiftpoint.

The above is also true of the 4th/5th shift at 28mph, its always better to just use the lower gear and stop the transmission from constantly shifting between two gears if your speed is near a shift point.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
You can increase your MPG in and around town by utilizing the manumatic mode . When coming to a stop light or at the light shift to manu mode , shift up 1 to second gear . That will be displayed on the DIC ( 2 )
You use a ton of gas getting the car moving off the line, utilizing the much lower gearing of 1st gear will accomplish this with less fuel burned. With the 1.4T you also get the turbo boost with the auto starting around 1800RPM, in first you hit this in a second off the line & shifting by 2500rpm better utilizes the initial boost to get into the MPG sweet zone(25-70mph) quicker.

Remember any acceleration below 30mph uses a ton of fuel even at light throttle as shown in the graph below.

·
10,713 Posts
You can increase your MPG in and around town by utilizing the manumatic mode . When coming to a stop light or at the light shift to manu mode , shift up 1 to second gear . That will be displayed on the DIC ( 2 ) start out slow at 2000 RPM's shift up to 3 rd and then 4 th and so on . You can safely drive 30 MPH in 6 th at low RPM"s . This takes a lot of practice to achieve and Patience .

My daily commute ( city ) is a resounding 29.6 Mpg which impresses me for the 1.8 auto .
30 mph in 6th are you a 1.8? 41 mph was the magic number for the 1.4 rental I had to not be "shift denied" to death.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
30 mph in 6th are you a 1.8? 41 mph was the magic number for the 1.4 rental I had to not be "shift denied" to death.
I believe the gearing of the 1.8L is close or the same as the 2011 1.4T automatic. Those cars could also be in 6th around 30mph from what I have read on here. It also explains the 3MPG highway difference between the 1.8L/auto and 2012+ 1.4T/auto. The 2011 1.4T auto has a 36mpg hwy rating, the 2012+ 38mpg rating. That means in 2011 there wasn't much difference in highway MPG between the engines.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't know about others experience, but in city stop/go traffic there is no way I'll let the trans shift for me. It's always in the wrong gear. I can't count how many times I go around a corner at 25 (Such as making an arrow) and the thing is in like 5th gear. I mash the gas and then it jumps like 3 gears. I got so annoyed I learned to just shift myself.

Also the service adviser told me I get 1 more pound of boost in slapstick mode vs. normal. It does seem quicker to me, but I just attribute it to knowing the power curve of the engine and when to shift.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
When I use it ill shift at 2500-3000 rpm.
This is pretty much exactly what I do in manual mode, when accelerating briskly I usually shift in the 2800-3200rpm range in 1-4 gear. Still mange over 36 mpg average too. Its really key to use those lower gears(1-4) like that if your final speed is 45mph+ or you will end up burning more fuel since your on the gas for a longer period babying it and shifting below 2500rpm.

If I'm in the city below 30mph I never use manual mode anymore, unless to hold 4th or 5th gear for a hill. With a light foot my auto shifts every gear at around 2200RPM, much easier than shifting all those gears. If I wanted to shift 5 times at every stop light to get back up to 30mph I would have bought a manual transmission car.

I do use manual mode to downshift to 3rd gear for a corner or turn in the city or on a back road, other than that I just use to keep in the proper gear or to keep my RPM for screaming to redline like the auto likes to do. I would go as far as to say 98% of my driving I never see above 3000RPM.

·
10,713 Posts
I believe the gearing of the 1.8L is close or the same as the 2011 1.4T automatic. Those cars could also be in 6th around 30mph from what I have read on here. It also explains the 3MPG highway difference between the 1.8L/auto and 2012+ 1.4T/auto. The 2011 1.4T auto has a 36mpg hwy rating, the 2012+ 38mpg rating. That means in 2011 there wasn't much difference in highway MPG between the engines.
When I had a 13 LS auto it revved higher than my ECO by almost 1k. 65 mph it was almost 3k from what I can remember a year ago.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
My diesel has the same type of gearbox to the 1.4T - 1.8 Cruze just a bit stronger 6T45. I tried it in manual mode at 80kph (50mph) and it refused to move to 6th at that speed. Mind you at 110 (68) it is doing 1700rpm in 6th. The gearbox works so well in auto I find manual only useful when I want to know what gear the car is in.

·
10,713 Posts
The cruze is my first automatic. That said I rarely use the manual mode, just not the same without a clutch!
This is the opposite for me. 1st manual trans car. All my cars to include the Subaru are auto. Subaru and my Mazda had the manual option.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
The computer does a very good job in the Cruze, but I do find times when the manual mode helps me get what I want a little better. I also engine brake on steep hills. I think the Cruze has been learning how I shift because it is now automatically shifting the way I do in manual mode. I forgot that I was in manual mode once and bounced the RPMs off the limiter a few times. Oops. I think the manual mode is useful for people who know how to drive a stick and know what they want the car to do. For everyone else, just leave it in drive.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts