Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. We had to rethread the plug hole and in the process went too far now the thread part is stuck in the cylinder. Is there a way to get it out without having to remove the head?

·
Registered
131 Posts
At least you used the right one for a spark plug insert.

Okay. Patience is key here. You can get it out. But time and patience. I mean like it might take hours or 15 minutes.

Ever played that old school game Operation? Lol.

I know this isn't funny but if you can laugh at mistakes it makes it easier and more likely karma will reward you getting it out.

Parts needed:
2-part 5 minute epoxy.

One 1/4" threaded rod 20" long with two nuts that go onto rod and that fit nicely inside one of the inserts loosely. Tighten the two nuts against each other right on the end of the rod tightly so they don't move.

Flashlight to see inside

Patience and confidence

1. run the tap back through it to make clean threads.

2. Use the rod or a coat hanger to move the one trapped inside to center of piston. When you can see it. You want to flip it so the serrated threads are facing down towards piston.

4. Now get epoxy and apply to the outside of nuts on rod around and lower into center of one trapped. Try not to get epoxy on outside threads of one trapped. Set it straight up and down. Enough epoxy to grab but not too much to make mess.

5. Leave until epoxy is hard.

6. Take your time to try and get threads to grab as you reverse it out.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Probably very unlikely to get the piece back out through the spark plug hole. You would have to be able to re-thread it back into the hole from the inside.

Not even sure how you would have tapped the treads with the head on and not filled the cylinder with metal? I would pull the head. Install plug thread adapter with the head off. Clean cylinder bore and reinstall the head.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Not even sure how you would have tapped the treads with the head on and not filled the cylinder with metal?
The 5.4L Ford 3-valve motors were notorious for blowing out plugs and needing re-tapping. And that would surely result in shavings in the cylinder. One guy told me he would crank the motor (with no plug in that cylinder) and it would blow the stuff back out the plug hole.

For sure, lots of these were repaired without pulling the heads.

That said, like you, I worry about the effects of not getting all the shavings out.

Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At least you used the right one for a spark plug insert.

Okay. Patience is key here. You can get it out. But time and patience. I mean like it might take hours or 15 minutes.

Ever played that old school game Operation? Lol.

I know this isn't funny but if you can laugh at mistakes it makes it easier and more likely karma will reward you getting it out.

Parts needed:
2-part 5 minute epoxy.

One 1/4" threaded rod 20" long with two nuts that go onto rod and that fit nicely inside one of the inserts loosely. Tighten the two nuts against each other right on the end of the rod tightly so they don't move.

Flashlight to see inside

Patience and confidence

1. run the tap back through it to make clean threads.

2. Use the rod or a coat hanger to move the one trapped inside to center of piston. When you can see it. You want to flip it so the serrated threads are facing down towards piston.

4. Now get epoxy and apply to the outside of nuts on rod around and lower into center of one trapped. Try not to get epoxy on outside threads of one trapped. Set it straight up and down. Enough epoxy to grab but not too much to make mess.

5. Leave until epoxy is hard.

6. Take your time to try and get threads to grab as you reverse it out.
It’s a pretty funny situation I am very clumsy and probably shouldn’t be working on cars lol . I’ll see if this works . I haven’t seen anyone suggest anything like this yet . Just the make the hole bigger and fish it out with a magnet

·
Registered
131 Posts
It’s a pretty funny situation I am very clumsy and probably shouldn’t be working on cars lol . I’ll see if this works . I haven’t seen anyone suggest anything like this yet . Just the make the hole bigger and fish it out with a magnet
Everyone starts as a beginner on cars, in any field for that matter, no matter what their skill level is now. Everyone learns.

I've pulled them out this way before for customers. On this car it can be done with patience and confidence.

But you do have the option of tapping to a larger diameter. The thread insert is 17mm on outside of threads. You would have to tap to 18m-1.5 or 18-1.25. That would allow you to pull the old one out.

Now you would get a piece of mild steel or aluminum dowel that and die the outside to 18-1.5 or 18-1.25.

Then drill and tap the inside centered to match the spark to 14.1.25 for your spark plug. Steel is preferred because it will strengthen the head wall.

Then cut the piece long enough to match the thickness of the head sleeve where you will insert the new threaded insert.

You'll also need this stuff.

You'll apply it to outside of insert. Thread insert into place, making sure to not go too far but to seat down properly to depth equal to where spark plug will sit properly.

Now you leave until fully cured.

Blow out piston area with compressed air, eye protection suggested.

Again now make sure 14-1.25 threads for new spark plug are clean and install spark plug.

I'm not a fan of going so large but I have done it before (no issues yet). I've even double inserted (no issues yet) but it is not suggested. I like to keep the integrity of the head close to original.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts