Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was pulling in the driveway today in my family's vehicle, I noticed there was something hanging unusually low near the passenger-side rear wheel. (Sorry for the huge pictures, not sure how to make them smaller!)

I don't know if this is related, but a few days ago my car made a grinding sound when I was backing out of a parking spot. Of course, I haven't been able to replicate the sound since... so I assumed the problem went away on its own. I haven't noticed any handling or performance issues otherwise.

close up:

other side for reference:

I don't know all that much about cars, but this forum was helpful in identifying the valve cover problem, so I decided to post this here to hear your opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I see nothing abnormal.
I'm guessing what you are concerned about is just the watts suspension linkage.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I see nothing abnormal.
Me neither.

I'm guessing what you are concerned about is just the watts suspension linkage.
Yes, it looks low, but unless you're driving just next to rock that high, or drop a wheel off a curb, it won't be a problem. The linkage will follow the wheel's movement, so speed bumps aren't an issue.

Reactions: dzlot

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The right side watts link mounting pin is broken out of the axle assembly. I can see a hole where it has torn away from.

This is most likely impact damage (like from giant potholes).
This would require replacement of the rear axle as opposed to welding back together......the stud area stress is too high for a weld to hold for any length of time since the surrounding area is relatively thin and now, work hardened.

Possibility of making a insurance claim out of this since it could be considered road damage.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I disagree with Robby. I don't see the passenger side linkage broken off the axle. The rusty spot above the link is also visible on the LH side, and the link appears to be attached where it belongs.(near shock lower mount level on RH below the cast hole, above the shock lower mount and casting hole on the LH)

You'd have to directly impact that mounting point or have so much other damage visible that there'd be no question what broke. The equalizer link(Watts link) would bend far before that axle broke.

Nothing looks notably out of whack here.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,540 Posts
Check the right shock absorber, and look further up into the rear axle assembly. I've seen lots of the right hand side shocks detach around the top of the shock cartridge, which leaves you with an annoying rattle.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
There's nothing hanging too low from your suspension in those pictures. Everything is attached where it belongs, the left and right links are not symmetrically mounted. This shot clearly shows how one is higher than the other on this car. One side of a Watts linkage is always higher. If both equalizer links outboard attachment points are the same height a Watts lingake doesn't do what it's supposed to Vehicle Auto part Car Suspension Exhaust system

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Maybe another photo angle......I really believe I'm looking into a rusty hole.....right side of shock, just above and slightly right of the watts link attachment bolt.

I know I'm old.....but not too blind (i Hope)

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Maybe another photo angle......I really believe I'm looking into a rusty hole.....right side of shock, just above and slightly right of the watts link attachment bolt.

Rob
Nope, you're not blind. There's a rusty hole there. On both sides, on every Gen1 I've seen. It's just the way the axle is cast there.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts

Rob
I see it as well but it's not a bolt hole. If you look at both the left and right side pictures the hole is in the same place. What's differenct is the asymetric Watts linkage is above the hole on the drivers side and below on the passenger side. Everything looks lined up to me.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I checked my car and it's the same. Yes, there is an opening, but it's cast that way. The link below is firmly attached.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts