Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapped out my worn original wheel for a Sonic RS flat bottom wheel. Nice thick grips, red stitching and RS logo which is perfect for a Cruze RS. The flat bottom allows a bit more room getting in/out. Took about 10-15 minutes, mostly trying to release the airbag. I did discover the Sonic cruise control switches didn't work (on did nothing and cancel turned the cruise on and it wouldn't turn off). I'll have to take it off and use the original switches and harness.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,616 Posts
What did one of those run ya? Looks right at home (especially since yours is an RS).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What did one of those run ya? Looks right at home (especially since yours is an RS).
$180 plus shipping from GMPartsDirect.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Well that is a good deal, especially considering it is brand new.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that is a good deal, especially considering it is brand new.
For sure. Figured it was a good time to get one before it's discontinued. The ZL1 wheel is the same except it has paddles. I guess you could order the RS trim piece and put it on that wheel, but having paddles wasn't a big deal to me.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
I don't know how well the paddles work with the 6T35 anyway. I don't mind the way it's laid out in the shifter, to be honest.

Now, in a Gen 2, the paddles would be critical, IMO. That stupid little plus minus toggle button is far less enjoyable to use than paddles or the Gen 1 "slapstick".

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,582 Posts
Nice little project (y)

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,464 Posts
When I researched swapping out my wheel for one with paddles, it seemed all but the Sonic switches worked. Those included Camaro, Impala and Malibu.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I researched swapping out my wheel for one with paddles, it seemed all but the Sonic switches worked. Those included Camaro, Impala and Malibu.
Not sure why they don't work, but the original switch to turn on cruise is a rocker vs the new one is a momentary/button. Not a big deal to swap the original switch and plate/harness over.

Reactions: eddiefromcali

·
Registered
13 Posts
This looks great! I wanted to do something similar to set off the RS package for my 17 Hatch. Ended up making vinyl decals not quite as nice as the OEM Sonic but the best I could do on my budget.
IMG_7203.jpg IMG_7204.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,464 Posts
Not sure why they don't work, but the original switch to turn on cruise is a rocker vs the new one is a momentary/button. Not a big deal to swap the original switch and plate/harness over.
I have already completely disassembled the steering wheel and have documented it in the link at the bottom, and as far as the Sonic issues, I included the link with their explanation in my post on installing the new wheel.

how do you swap switches? My SS wheel has lane control and front radar buttons on the far left...might want to swap my original buttons back on
It is pretty easy, just a bit tedious depending on the wheel.

How-To: Disassemble a steering wheel to rehab it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Can you use the cruze airbag with the Sonic RS wheel? I want this as my cars PO must of had very acidic hands and my steering has a somewhat gross spot that has been worn down.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sweet, I hopefully have found an ultra cheap source. Hope to know more tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Swapped out my worn original wheel for a Sonic RS flat bottom wheel. Nice thick grips, red stitching and RS logo which is perfect for a Cruze RS. The flat bottom allows a bit more room getting in/out. Took about 10-15 minutes, mostly trying to release the airbag. I did discover the Sonic cruise control switches didn't work (on did nothing and cancel turned the cruise on and it wouldn't turn off). I'll have to take it off and use the original switches and harness.

View attachment 283346
View attachment 283347
How did you get the switches switched over to the new wheel?
  1. Neither of them would fit and snap into my rs wheel.

·
Premium Member
2015 Cruze LT 1.4, aka Yuffie, aka RecklessRed
325 Posts
Teehee. I just put a camaro RS steering wheel on mine. Haven't checked the buttons, but I am sure it's nothing that some arduino magic or a canbus module from dasaita or something like that couldn't solve. Either way, MUCH happier with that than I was with the aftermarket wheel and quick release. Just gotta source an airbag for a good price (makes sense they don't usually come with it. Imagine an airbag going off as a UPS guy was chucking it around. Lol).

·
Super Moderator
9,464 Posts
Teehee. I just put a camaro RS steering wheel on mine. Haven't checked the buttons, but I am sure it's nothing that some arduino magic or a canbus module from dasaita or something like that couldn't solve. Either way, MUCH happier with that than I was with the aftermarket wheel and quick release. Just gotta source an airbag for a good price (makes sense they don't usually come with it. Imagine an airbag going off as a UPS guy was chucking it around. Lol).
What happened to your original airbag?

·
Premium Member
2015 Cruze LT 1.4, aka Yuffie, aka RecklessRed
325 Posts
I bought the steering wheel off of ebay used, and of course they won't ship it with the camaro airbag. Though, the connector fits, I have not attempted to put my cruze airbag (which is fine) into the camaro steering wheel. I jsut flat out assumed they are different. Do they fit? I will slap that in right now. haha.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts