Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry the post is long, just need help figuring out what to to lol

So first I have to say I'm incredibly impressed and happy with my new Cruze (2016 gen 2 premier) but the one thing I have a gripe with is the audio. It's def better than what I'm used to, seeing how I upgraded from a 97 Honda Accord.

The radio is very bass heavy (even with bass turned all the way down) and it seems as if the stock speakers can't handle all the bass and distorts the song playing. I do like some bass but it's pretty much impossible to run any bass or the songs don't sound all that good with the distortion.

I want to put a good system (subs/speakers) in but not sure if I should bring it somewhere, or do it myself like I did in my Honda. I don't want to mess anything up with taking panels off and all that stuff required for the wiring and replacing the speakers, but I'm also scared to bring it somewhere (new car worries lol).

Seems like it would be a little more difficult in the Cruze do to this do to the steering wheel controls and mylinks. I don't have any intentions of taking the mylinks out, I just wanna do the speakers and subs but I also want my steering wheel controls functional. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would think if you added some subs it would do what you want. You want a knob in the front that can adjust the amount of bass to your taste. You might want some extra tweeters as well to enhanse the highs. I have a 2016 as well and this is what I'm thinking for my car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure if subs would be enough without new speakers as well. I didn't get the rs package so I don't have the Bose speakers in my car. The cars bass would be plenty if the speakers could handle it but I don't feel like I can get them to sound good with any bass at all so I just turn it all the way down for now. Then I figured if I was gunna do speakers I might as well go all out and there's plenty of trunk space for subs. I'm probably gunna take it somewhere to get done. But with it being the new car and redesign I'm sure they will have never taken one apart and that scares me a little lol

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Just for fun, you might want to try out another G2 car. Make sure you don't have defective speakers. I don't expect factory sound to be great, but I do expect it to be competent. And from what you describe, it's not hitting that mark.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That might be a good point. I mean they aren't horrible quality by any means but I have even skipped certain songs cuz I know the car couldn't do it justice

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have someone telling me if I do decide to upgrade the speakers and put the subs in that it would void warranty. Is this true or do they not know what they're talking about?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I have someone telling me if I do decide to upgrade the speakers and put the subs in that it would void warranty.
Depends on what warranty they're talking about. If you take the car in for a problem, and it might be related to your modifications, I'd suggest you return the car to stock before taking it in. The warranty doesn't cover making your mods work. I don't see speakers being an issue. The sub, with an amp could cause electrical problems if done wrong, so I'd disconnect that and verify the problem still exists before taking it in.

Bottom line, in general, the answer is "no, it won't void your warranty". They'd have to show that your modifications could be the problem. So a stereo mod isn't going to make your engine die. But at the same time, I wouldn't give the dealer any excuse if there was any reasonable possibility of it being an issue. (Like a amp draining the battery, or low ohm speakers causing the amp to fry.)

So, with that in mind, you might want to hold off a month or two to make sure your stereo doesn't die of "infant death" before cutting into it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, love that solution, complaining about a bass heavy system, solution, add sub woofers, think about this for a moment.

Clean bass requires a speaker that is not having the voice coil rub against the magnet, cone not properly glued to the basket, a stiff cone, that doesn't break up, or a cone that may have a tear in it.

Heavy bass can also be lack of midrange and tweeter speakers, maybe connectors were not properly inserted. Speakers have over a hundred year old history, no single speaker has been designed yet that can handle the full audio spectrum, who ever came up with the word, subwoofer, was some marketing guy that was smoking crack, this is far more recent compared to the history.

Another possible problem is your radio needs reflashed, got a buy on microcontrollers use elsewhere with code stored in flashram, stupid, but maybe saved them a half a cent, hey those cents add up!

How many speakers do you have in this thing, and are they all working? Speakers use to be made in the USA, now China, can't even become to express the problems I am having with crap made in China.

Real problem is finding a good Chevy dealer that will treat you well and be a lot more concerned about making HIS customers happy, then getting his money back from GM for his labor.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a Gen2 2LT and it is very bass heavy but it doesn't distort the sound at all i have had the volume at 35 and it didn't distort, you may have defective speakers. i just looked quickly in service information and didn't see anything about your issue. I would take it to your dealer to get it checked.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, sounds like a system a couple of my kids wanted, huge pounding bass, that is what they wanted and that is what they got. Now more mature, want me to make them a well balanced full range system. Ha, tell them, I will give them the design, they can make them their selves.

So did the guy that designed this system love huge pounding bass, so guess if you want a well balanced system, may have to do it yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts