Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my Chevy Cruze is at idle....sometimes it sounds like a washing machine...there's a constant swishing sound like something is going round and round in liquid. Does anyone else have this and what is making the sound?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had that same problem with my car. I took it to the dealer and they told me it was because my a/c compressor wasnt turning off. Even when my a/c was off, the compressor kept running. the freeon or whatever is inside was just circulating with nowhere to go. They replaced the a/c compressor and the sound is gone. I could hear it in the car, but when i tried to hear it in the engine bay, I couldnt find it. But my sounded similar to you, and swishing sound. Hope that helps, keep me posted.

·
Registered
720 Posts
+1 on the A/C compressor. They had to replace my compressor twice before they got it fixed. You can perform a little test to confirm that's what it is. With the car running at idle and the HVAC system totally off (interior fan in the off position) you might hear the repetitive swishing sound. Leave it running and turn on the A/C to the lowest fan speed. Make sure the snowflake button is pressed. On my car the swishing sound would stop when the A/C was actually cooling, which sounds backwards but that's the truth. The fix is a new compressor and GM is aware of the problem.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
When my Chevy Cruze is at idle....sometimes it sounds like a washing machine...there's a constant swishing sound like something is going round and round in liquid. Does anyone else have this and what is making the sound?

KCCruze,
I would suggest that you take your vehicle into your local dealership and have them look into this for you. They are in the best position to get this issue diagnosed for you. Please keep me posted on this. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
5,722 Posts
Stacy, what do you recommend if you've taken to dealer twice and they "couldn't replicate"?

Mick,
I would suggest that you either take your vehicle into a different dealership or you can provide me with your VIN and I can look into this for you. If you would like me to assist you with this issue, can you also please send me your name, address, phone number, current mileage as well as the name of the dealer that you have taken your vehicle to? I look forward to hearing back from you.
Thank you,

·
5,722 Posts
Mines makes the same noise. I am gonna try and make it to the dealer today after work.

DCfromSTP,
Please keep me posted on the outcome of you appointment with your dealer. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
Mick,
I would suggest that you either take your vehicle into a different dealership or you can provide me with your VIN and I can look into this for you. If you would like me to assist you with this issue, can you also please send me your name, address, phone number, current mileage as well as the name of the dealer that you have taken your vehicle to? I look forward to hearing back from you.
Thank you,
Thanks for the response Stacy. I'm due for an oil change soon so I will try another dealer. I'm also going to get video for a manager since I think they just aren't driving it around enough to get the noises to start.
I will send you info when I log in from my computer.

·
Registered
435 Posts
define washing machine...

When i start my car the fan kicks in and is very loud, almost violent, for a while. is that normal? I've never heard a fan rev so high before on any of my other cars?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just noticed this problem with my Cruze. I Googled the phrase and found this discussion. Awesome! Thanks to those of you who posted this issue for the rest of us. Great forum and a great car.

·
Administrator
25,195 Posts
Stacy, what do you recommend if you've taken to dealer twice and they "couldn't replicate"?
I'm not Stacy - my recommendation is try a different dealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts

It had happened to my Car. The same sound like some water was flowing from the pipes. I had it fixed. The reason for the sound is because in my car the engine oil had mixed with the coolant as the hose was worn out. Had to drain the engine oil and remove the coolant box/radiator as well as the oil cooler. The cooler was damaged and had to be replace d with new one. Then after flush out the full system. During flushing the dirt was so much , it was like cheese coming out.

After that refiled new engine oil, coolant,new hose and oil cooler.

Now its smooth.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts