Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i decided to switch out my spark plugs today. Have to get the $150 part because i tore a boot.
when i pulled out the far right park plug and the one next to it i noticed why it was stuck so bad. The far right spark plug is covered in white corrosion. Does anyone know why that would happen? Is it normal? Or Could there be a more serious problem underway.

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well pulled the other 2 and 2 out of 4 are corroded like that. The far right one and the second from the left one. Wtf gm. I havent had this car that long.

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also one was .24, one was .26, and the other 2 were .25. The corroded ones where .24 and .25. Ill post This in the hesitation gone thread also.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
.23 to .27 is the appropriate gap range for the spark plugs. I don't see anything wrong with those spark plugs. The threads look a little dark compared to the plugs I just pulled after 50k miles which were like new.

How many miles ?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the white corrosion is normal on the 2? It has about 38,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
That type of corrosion is from water getting into the plug well.....like someone washed the engine and water migrated past the boots.....then boiled off over time.

Nothing wrong with the car....outside influence.

Rob

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Too bad it is Sunday and noone has the coil pack. So im stuck at home until tomorrow. :( hopefully the dealership has rubber boots individually i can buy

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought an autolite 500461 and trimmed It down to replace the torn boot. It works great! Better then spending $150. I will probably go to the junkyard and see about getting the right boot later this week.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,612 Posts
I've found that liberally applying silicone spray to the boots prevents them from sticking and allows me to remove the coil assembly with ease. My coil has 47,600 miles and it came off effortlessly this past weekend.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I've found that liberally applying silicone spray to the boots prevents them from sticking and allows me to remove the coil assembly with ease. My coil has 47,600 miles and it came off effortlessly this past weekend.
Yea my gfs dad is a old timer mechanic and told me to put lots of sparkplug/boot grease and it wont stick next time. In the picture where the corrosion is, thats where the 2 stuck. I got one out safely, but the other tore completely in half. I am happy to have found the post about using the other boot and trim it.

Also, other good news, my mpg went from 24 city to 30 city! I suspect those two corroded plugs were the culprits. And they were all around .25 and i gapped them to .28, that might be helping too. Between the new plugs and the sri i just installed I am impressed. Now just to save up for my tune.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So since some of my plugs where corroded i should get a new coil pack?

·
Administrator
25,038 Posts
Use a flashlight and check the springs. If they're not corroded you should be ok.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Use a flashlight and check the springs. If they're not corroded you should be ok.
When i noticed the corrosion i looked everywhere to be sure. It was just the 2 spark plugs.

·
10,685 Posts
Sorry, didn't realize I left this unanswered. I replaced the coil pack when I was having drivability issues. I literally drove in there on 3 cylinders.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think the electrical grease will stop the corrosion. I feel like if the coil pack is going bad it will happen regardless. I talked to 2 mechanics and they said it seems like someone power washed the engine, probably the dealership, and a little water got in there. Then the spark with the moisture did it. I used 2 types of grease for mine, one for the spark plug and one for the boot. They sell little packets of them at autozone, I have taken the coil pack out twice now and it came out no problem. As for the corrosion if the coil pack is going bad it will happen regardless, when I put the boots someone sent me on I noticed the springs were a little corroded so pretty soon here I will be buying a coil pack. Better safe then sorry.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts