Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of spark plugs will you all be putting in your Cruze.

I bought iridium IX.

Part number: (BKR6EIX) Do you all like NGK I've never had any problems these were the only ngk available I don't think there right what so you all think.

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NGK iridium plugs work very well in our cars. I don't see a purpose to using anything else unless you need a colder plug for a specific tune or set of modifications.
That's what I thought is that the correct part number its different than the ones it the car

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Would a colder plug even benefit those of us with tunes? Anyone have a part #?

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
That's what I thought is that the correct part number its different than the ones it the car

Talk to 70AARCUDA about this one. He'll have all the answers regarding spark plug part numbers.

·
Registered
718 Posts
The NGK site lists a laser platinum plug IFR7X-7G.

Can't speak for the Cruze but anytime we've used anything other than laser platinums when it calls for it, it comes back with misfires.

Edit: Pretty bad when the plug number starts with an "I" meaning iridium and my dumbass says platinum.

Our OE ngk plugs are indeed iridium.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
When i tune i will definitely be going with old-school NGK copper plugs.

OEMs don't use them because they don't last as long, and the low maintenance of Iridium/Platinum is a selling point, but if you don't mind the 5 minutes it takes to swap plugs every 20K or so, you can't touch a copper plug.

Copper is still the best conductor of electricity out there.

On my talon running a non-projected copper plug 1 heat range colder gave me the ability to run a touch more timing. Sounds silly but 8whp for $10 makes sense to me. You won't see 8whp on the cruze, but you might see 3-4 when tuned accordingly. It was the same plug my buddy used to make over 1000hp on a GT42R 2.0L 4G63. Going for the 8s @ 155+ and running $2.50 plugs, because they work.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,353 Posts
Copper is still the best conductor of electricity out there.

On my talon running a non-projected copper plug 1 heat range colder gave me the ability to run a touch more timing.
And that is EXACTLY why copper plugs are recommended in almost ALL boosted applications. Strongest spark, cheapest plugs. Most bang-for-your buck. And it's not like the Cruze's are hard to change. Matter of fact, I've got some old copper plugs from the Volvo laying around somewhere. Might pop them in and give it a try.

Whatever you do, don't use platinum in a turbo. They HATE them.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
I'd go either OEM iridium or copper. For me with my needs, OEM is better since I often don't have the time to swap out coppers every 15k miles, and when I do the weather often is prohibitive.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
I'd go either OEM iridium or copper. For me with my needs, OEM is better since I often don't have the time to swap out coppers every 15k miles, and when I do the weather often is prohibitive.
...OEM uses IRIDIUM for longer EPA-emission requirements; COPPER is preferred by HP-drivers, but do not last anywhere nearly as long as Iridium plugs.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So how would I find a plug that's colder rating since thia is the first time I've heard of this I'm tuned and live in Amarillo tx it get hot here and cold doea that matter

·
Registered
647 Posts
is this the right part number for the copper plugs. They are only $2

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Would you not?
I was told thay iridium is better than copper all the way around

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
I was told thay iridium is better than copper all the way around

Well now I tell you that platinum is better all the way around. See how that works?

Is the person who told you this a spark plug engineer? Not to sound like a d-bag but we have to stop the hearsay. We need facts and proof.

Out of curiosity, did they explain WHY they were better other than they last longer?

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well now I tell you that platinum is better all the way around. See how that works?

Is the person who told you this a spark plug engineer? Not to sound like a d-bag but we have to stop the hearsay. We need facts and proof.

Out of curiosity, did they explain WHY they were better other than they last longer?
Well not to be d-bag back but he as been a mechanic/shop owener and avid dragracer for longer than I've been alive and I would trust him over most of the people on thus forum he has never told me something I don't belive is true and no he's no engineer but I haven't seen anything he can't fix diagnos and or make faster. But if you want facts since I don't see any yet datalog and then post your answers so we all now please I have not posted any nonsense other than me and extremes lil argument a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Well not to be d-bag back but he as been a mechanic/shop owener and avid dragracer for longer than I've been alive and I would trust him over most of the people on thus forum he has never told me something I don't belive is true and no he's no engineer but I haven't seen anything he can't fix diagnos and or make faster. But if you want facts since I don't see any yet datalog and then post your answers so we all now please I have not posted any nonsense other than me and extremes lil argument a long time ago.

The problem with this is that it's all speculation and opinion. X vs Y. No doubt this is based on his experience, but has he encountered every possible situation? Does he drag race Cruzes? I'm sure he's knowledgeable, and this isn't to bash him. I'm asking for someone to provide factual data to explain why iridium is better or not for

1. Performance application
2. Daily driver

Does iridium work well in both or is one favorable over the other in a given scenario. Can't make blanket statements like X is always better than Y.

I'd be more than willing to pick up a set of coppers and do some logging and testing if someone can kindly tell me what metrics are important.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts