Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Spark Plug Rotation?

3785 Views 20 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  NYCruze2012
Crazy thought - should we be rotating our spark plugs every time we check the gaps? The reason I ask is because I know that cylinder #1 (right end from driver's seat) in my ECO erodes the gap faster than the other three.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wouldn't one cylinder eroding gap faster than the rest indicate a problem with that cylinder?
Possibly, but it's been consistent since day one.

· Resident Forum Drunkard
8,257 Posts
Since you are taking them out any way and cleaning them up like Nick suggests , checking the Gaps for specs . then they are rotated or mixed up .. as long as they are equally Gapped at time of reinstall . you should be good to go . unless ya forgot to check the coil packs leads to the spark plugs .. dom't forget that step !

· Premium Member
398 Posts
I don't think it would hurt, but it shouldn't be needed. If gaps are changing on one, but not the others, wouldn't that signify an issue? Also, I just checked mine after a long winter. They were all down to around 023 from the original 028 I put them at. Iridiums.

· Premium Member
3,909 Posts
I don't think it would hurt, but it shouldn't be needed. If gaps are changing on one, but not the others, wouldn't that signify an issue? Also, I just checked mine after a long winter. They were all down to around 023 from the original 028 I put them at. Iridiums.
Never heard of plug gaps closing before, defies the law of physics surely?

· Premium Member
3,909 Posts
Sounds to me that someone misread an 3 as 8 when they were set, it would be an easy mistake to make.

· Premium Member
278 Posts
IMHO, I cannot see a benefit to rotating them. Spark plugs are cheap enough you can replace them all if one goes bad. Plus, leaving them in the same cylinders might pronounce any issues that cylinder has (lean, rich, etc.) so you can catch it sooner (for whatever that may or may not be worth).

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I usually put them back in the same cylinder. I'm not the only person who has reported the right hand cylinder wearing the plugs a little faster so I'm inclined to think this is a design quirk.

· Premium Member
953 Posts
I usually put them back in the same cylinder. I'm not the only person who has reported the right hand cylinder wearing the plugs a little faster so I'm inclined to think this is a design quirk.
I've noticed this as well on mine too, when I first did mine I set them at 0.28 and that one jumped to 0.35 while the others were around 0.32

· Premium Member
3,909 Posts
I've noticed this as well on mine too, when I first did mine I set them at 0.28 and that one jumped to 0.35 while the others were around 0.32
That makes more sense than the gaps getting smaller, I would need to see them close up again to believe this could happen at all.

Reactions: brian v

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
I've done mine numerous times and am already on my 4th set of plugs. Going on my 5th. (Long story)
Besides checking mine/anti-seize just after 3K, have almost 70K on my original plugs. Not gonna mess with them at all, probably will trade the car before I do. Yes I realizes GM lowered the maintenance schedule to 60K in 2013+, but GM can't expect me to do anything other than follow what's listed in the back of my 2012 manual, which says 100K maintenance.

Now If I need a coil pack or decided to keep my cruze well beyond 100K, I might do the plugs.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just checked and regapped my BRK8X coppers.

Cylinder 1: 0.032
Cylinder 2-4: 0.031

I rotated the plug from Cylinder 1 to 4 and moved the others to the right. Also regapped all to 0.030" At 70,000 miles I'll replace them. Currently just under 66,000 miles.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Depends on how frequently you check your plugs. If they're all the same gap don't bother. If, like mine, the gaps were different then rotate. Like I said earlier the right hand cylinder is sees a consistently faster gap growth. With the copper plugs I have I try to check them shortly after every oil change. This also gives me a chance to check fluids and the air filter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.