Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

spark plugs: acdelco vs ngk

15112 Views 17 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  josh2012eco
Well, I think it's finally time to change the stock ngk iridiums that came in her at 96k.
Starting to get bad timing pulls under load like the copper plugs I had in after 5k miles (put the stockers back in and it went away).
So they have around 90k on them.
My question is: has anybody compared the ac delco iriduims to the ngk's?
I was going to go with the ngk($10ea), then I saw the ac delco's are $6 each...
Text Font Line Screenshot Technology
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
The AC-Delco 41-121 are the NGK 6 heat range OEM plugs. The 41-122 are the NGK 7 heat range OEM plugs. Which copper plugs did you try. I've had good experience (other than longevity) with the NGK vPower BRK7E and I just finished my first full day with the NGK BRK8E plugs. I've also had the NGK OEM plugs (AC Delco 41-122) and the NGK BRK7IEX iridium plugs and the BRK8Es are by far the best plugs I've had so far.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,879 Posts
The AC-Delco 41-121 are the NGK 8 heat range OEM plugs. The 41-122 are the NGK 7 heat range OEM plugs. Which copper plugs did you try. I've had good experience (other than longevity) with the NGK vPower BRK7E and I just finished my first full day with the NGK BRK8E plugs. I've also had the NGK OEM plugs (AC Delco 41-122) and the NGK BRK7IEX iridium plugs and the BRK8Es are by far the best plugs I've had so far.
41-121 are 6 (hotter); 122 are 7 (colder)

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried either the v-power brk7e or 8e's, I dont remember.
Gapped them to oem spec (.28 or .028 whatever it was) and they lasted around 5k
I'm sure they would have been ok if I re-gapped them again, but that weakens the electrode, so I said f it and put the stockers back.
I liked then gain, but I dont want to have to pull them out every oil change and service them.
I think I might try the 122's since they are a step hotter than the stockers and see if thats the sweet spot between copper and longer gap integrity.
Anybody know what they are putting in the '14's?

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On a side note, what's everybody's difference between the dic fuel used and pump gal. filled.
My car says 13gal, but the pump will say 14gal., a gallon off pretty much consistently over the course of a whole tank of gas.

17,879 Posts
I tried either the v-power brk7e or 8e's, I dont remember.
Gapped them to oem spec (.28 or .028 whatever it was) and they lasted around 5k
I'm sure they would have been ok if I re-gapped them again, but that weakens the electrode, so I said f it and put the stockers back.
I liked then gain, but I dont want to have to pull them out every oil change and service them.
I think I might try the 122's since they are a step hotter than the stockers and see if thats the sweet spot between copper and longer gap integrity.
Anybody know what they are putting in the '14's?
I think they changed the part number again, and then went back to a 6? I can't keep track anymore. I have no idea why they keep going back and forth either.

Hotter will lead to more timing pull and low RPM pre-ignition, the very thing you want to avoid. Stick with a 7 heat range in the 1.4.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
My car seems to like the colder plugs better. It really seems to depend on driving environment.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, the 121's are colder than the 122's.
Cruze came factory with the ngk's which are equal to the 121's.
But the coppers I put in were the bkr7e's (found em in the garage) which are hotter than the stock ngk's helped get rid of the low rpm timing pull and bogging - how is this? They should have theoretically made it worse if I read these posts correctly...

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the 122 should give be the same results as the coppers, but not wear the gap out every 5k miles, right?
This thing is getting a little more sluggish every day it seems.
Dirfferent jobsite has me going up 2 big ass mountains twice a day, feels like I'm running 87 but I'm running 93 since I started noticing a drop in power.
What normally takes 5th to get over now takes 4th, it sucks lol

17,879 Posts
So the 122 should give be the same results as the coppers, but not wear the gap out every 5k miles, right?
This thing is getting a little more sluggish every day it seems.
Dirfferent jobsite has me going up 2 big ass mountains twice a day, feels like I'm running 87 but I'm running 93 since I started noticing a drop in power.
What normally takes 5th to get over now takes 4th, it sucks lol
Theoretically they are the same heat range as the copper plugs I initially made the recommendation for.

But apparently the long life IFR6/IFR7 plugs (121/122) are just a terrible match for this car. They are designed for long life and not much in the way of performance.

Give the BKR7E-IX-2667 (122 equivalent, still an iridium plug, shouldn't experience the gap erosion nearly as quickly, but also a higher performance iridium plug) or BKR8EIX plugs a try for your purposes. I still have not seen any instances of the "8" heat range fouling, but that is a possibility. So far, people have nothing but good things to say about those though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.