Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for suggestions from owners of 2012 1.4t Cruze for spark plugs and what kind of mileage you are getting and are you happy with performance.

Thanks

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,983 Posts
If you want to put them in and leave them for the next 60,000 miles - IFR7G7 (stock AC Delco 121 plugs).

If you want increased drivability at the low end of the RPM range and don't mind re-tuning gaps - NGK BKR8EIX-2668 (iridium) or BKR7E-4644 (copper). The coppers run better IMO, but maintenance is basically every 5-7000 miles. The iridiums are every 10-15k.

Set gaps to 0.028".

·
Registered
635 Posts
If you want to put them in and leave them for the next 60,000 miles - IFR7G7 (stock AC Delco 121 plugs).

If you want increased drivability at the low end of the RPM range and don't mind re-tuning gaps - NGK BKR8EIX-2668 (iridium) or BKR7E-4644 (copper). The coppers run better IMO, but maintenance is basically every 5-7000 miles. The iridiums are every 10-15k.

Set gaps to 0.028".
I followed blackburns' advice a year ago, I need new plugs now (6500-7000 miles later) and I was very happy with the difference the copper plugs make, I don't drive it in the winter so when the weather clears up new copper plugs are going in ! Good luck !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
10,712 Posts
I followed blackburns' advice a year ago, I need new plugs now (6500-7000 miles later) and I was very happy with the difference the copper plugs make, I don't drive it in the winter so when the weather clears up new copper plugs are going in ! Good luck !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tuned, the positives of the coppers are magnified. They wear a bit quicker with higher than stock PSI levels but that's the price you pay for performance.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
I've tried NGK BKR7EIX, BKR8EIX, and BKR7E plugs. I've settled on the BKR7E plugs. I can't tell the difference between the 8EIX and the 7E plugs but the 7E plugs are so inexpensive that they're more cost effective.

·
10,712 Posts
I've tried NGK BKR7EIX, BKR8EIX, and BKR7E plugs. I've settled on the BKR7E plugs. I can't tell the difference between the 8EIX and the 7E plugs but the 7E plugs are so inexpensive that they're more cost effective.
For me the 8EIX were less powerful than the 7E but they fared well compared to the 7EIX and their need to be regapped. the 8IEX went 18K miles or so and were still going strong when I pulled them before trade.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
For me the 8EIX were less powerful than the 7E but they fared well compared to the 7EIX and their need to be regapped. the 8IEX went 18K miles or so and were still going strong when I pulled them before trade.
My 8EIX lasted a little less than twice as long as the 7E plugs do but cost three times as much. Now when I swap my plugs I immediately go purchase a replacement set.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The Denso Ik22's put the all NGK's to shame, its not even close, problem is they only last 10,000 miles...My Advise Mr 299 is just to run Stock Plugs with Premium gas..less headaches...

·
10,712 Posts
The Denso Ik22's put the all NGK's to shame, its not even close, problem is they only last 10,000 miles...My Advise Mr 299 is just to run Stock Plugs with Premium gas..less headaches...
Stock plugs is how we ended up on a super long http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/21850-hesitation-gone.html thread about a colorful array of plugs over stock. In "my driving conditions" which were mostly turnpike the 8EIX were the happy medium of better than oem and less maintenance of the 7E. If I kept my car, I would have went 7E since my turnpike days were gone making my annual mileage way lower than the 1st 2 years of ownership.

The plugs I used were

2 sets of 2013 OEM with one set 0.030 and on set 0.028
2 sets of BKR7E 0.028
1 set of BKR7EIX 0.028
1 set of BKR8EIX 0.028

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
So even though the book states longer than 60K, that is the best interval? What about re-gapping them then, then run until they schedule states to change?

If you want to put them in and leave them for the next 60,000 miles

·
10,712 Posts
So even though the book states longer than 60K, that is the best interval? What about re-gapping them then, then run until they schedule states to change?
2011 book is obsolete, use the 2016 limited intervals. Even the plugs that came in the 2011 and part of 2012 are obsolete a few times over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts