Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Read Only
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the durability of spark plugs change depending on the metal in which the electrodes are comprised of but I've seen a few websites marketing Iridium plugs and how in addition to longevity they also increase HP and torque.

Voltage stabilizers. I've also stumbled accross these and they claim to do the same in addition to fuel efficiency.

I'm a 1.4L owner and only recently getting into actually learning how vehicles work as well as minor performance modding. You guys all seem very knowledgeable and I seek your wisdom.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You won't see any improvement by changing plugs or any of the other things you mentioned...all your power will be found in the computer and the intake and exhaust.

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
You won't see any improvement by changing plugs or any of the other things you mentioned...all your power will be found in the computer and the intake and exhaust.

I agree, my first car was an '87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe that had the I4-Turbo. Rumor had it that Platinum plugs somehow gave off Nitrous Oxide when used and gave more HP. Being in college level chemistry at the time, I never figured this out. I did try Platinum plugs and only found they boosted the drain on my wallet....no more, no less.:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't know the plugs GM used in the 1.4L but if they did it like the LNF engine, they used top rated plugs, iridium ones. I would not go from stock plugs, they are very good.

Voltage regulator or stabilizers dont add any power, they just make sure the negative is at a constant (if the unit attaches to negative term on battery and has large capacitors in it). Or if you do the grounding kit, it just tries to get zero ground to all the parts you connect it to. It will make the items you connect, a TINY bit more efficient as it will be closer to zero or perfect ground. But if you are expectiing hp or mpg, you will 99% not see any improvements. When I used a grounding kit, I noticed my headlights wouldnt dim when rolling the windows down/up and my drive by wire throttle body seemed to respond a tad quicker.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi there, I've changed original spark plugs with 4 Denso Iridiums IK20 from 6 months ago. Although HP is not changed, it has noticeable change in shortening time delay of acceleration (maybe shorten time of throttle response). It's worth to buy Denso IK20.
However, voltage stablizer is a waste of money.
My car is Lacetti Premiere CDX (6 gears AT) - another name of Chevy Cruze sold in Korea.

·
Registered
207 Posts
my '08 astra with the same 1.8L engine, came with standard tipped plugs. i replaced with platinum tipped autolites.

·
Banned
264 Posts
actually going a step or two colder wont help out hp wise...but will help your engine..especially with turbo applications.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
actually going a step or two colder wont help out hp wise...but will help your engine..especially with turbo applications.
Explain exactly how running colder plugs will help your engine? If anything colder plugs will foul out sooner due to not getting hot enough to burn off contaminants. You should use colder plugs to prevent the spark plug from becoming a hot spot that causes detonation when the motor is modified and making more power/heat in the combination chamber. Excluding the few people here with a tune, everyones motor is stock and doesn't need colder plugs.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...platinum- and iridium-tipped spark plugs are "good" for increased longivity, not increased horsepower.

Reactions: Kurtish124

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sorry to dig this up but does anyone know what our factory plugs are and what the lifespan is? I used to change my plugs yearly on my 1.8T GTi...but then again, I had a fair amount of tuning done to it (and yes, I did have to use a slightly cooler plug because of it).

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...part numbers are listed on page 11-8 Service & Maintenance of the Owners Manual:

GM......55576026 @ 0.028" (0.70mm)
ACDelco...41-117 @ 0.028" (0.70mm)

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Also, certain platinum and iridium plugs are made for power instead of long life. Some variants are made with sharper, smaller electrodes and smaller ground straps to confine the spark more. The downside is their life is shorter, such as 50k miles instead of 150k miles like the OEM plugs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spark blow out

I've been running Denso iridium plugs for about 5K, I got the trifecta tune around 2 or 3K. I absolutely believe it runs smoother and doesn't hesitate like it use to with or without the tune. NOTE_ if you do get the tune they may not remember to tell you, but I've brought it to Trifecta's attention that plugs need to be regapped .001 less for every added pound of boast. In my application with their 93 octane tune I wound up having to gap my plugs to .020 so the whole car won't jerk wildly at WOT full boost. No big deal, it takes just 5 minutes to gap 4 plugs, but the car runs amazing on the Trifecta tune and gets 47 on the hwy! ZZP's downpipe and midpipe are a close second on my list for added performance and mileage, and the Clutch masters stage 2 kevlar clutch is a close third. Runs like a Cobalt SS for half the price at the pump.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
I'm not changing the plugs until 50-60k miles. Even then, if they look good and are gapped correctly, they'll go right back into the engine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a Buddy Club Condenser on my Mazda 3, it was a voltage stabilizer\ground kit. I made a noticeable difference in throttle response and overall engine smoothness (perceived). That being said, there was probably little quantifiable benefit to it. I probably should have held onto it, to see if it benefited the Cruz in any way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.