Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sparkman's "Build" - 2012 1LT/RS

I'll keep this first post updated summarizing all 24+ pages of stuff. Updated 3/11/2018.

Well, I figured I would keep a log of the stuff I have done to my Cruze. Bought it with exactly 30,000 miles. It's going to be a long slow process because I'm in college, but it will get there eventually.

2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT RS

Current Modifications/Accessories:

• Diode Dynamics LED License Plate Lights
  • LED Interior Lights (including trunk)
  • Diode Dynamics XP50 Reverse Lights
  • 50% Front Tint, 15% Rear Tint
  • WeatherTech Floor Mats
  • GiiNii GD-188x Dual Recording Dash Cam
  • Cobra RAD450 Radar Detector
Completed Non-Regular Maintenance Repairs:

• 30,931 Miles | October 2015: Rear trunk button/light assembly replaced
  • 31,859 Miles | December 2015: Water pump replaced
  • 37,731 Miles | July 2016: Transmission rebuilt
  • 37,742 Miles | July 2016: Transmission rebuilt again due to bad rebuild
  • 39,905 Miles | September 2016: Front left hub assembly replaced
  • 40,615 Miles | October 2016: Snapped e-brake cable replaced
  • 43,483 Miles | December 2016: Loose transmission mount tightened (makes me wonder the quality of the second rebuild, :rolleyes:), HVAC system reflashed due to zones not functioning properly
  • 50,842 Miles | May 2017: Replaced cracked ignition coil pack
  • 56,070 Miles | September 2017: Valve cover replaced
  • 59,209 Miles | December 2017: Value cover replaced, HVAC system checked (and cleaned due to loud noises)
Pending Repairs:

• Massive fuel smell at idle, dealer and I have no idea where it's coming from
  • Occasional surging? PCV going out?
  • Both visor mirror covers need replaced
Planned Modifications:

• None

The day I brought her home in September:

Water Pump Failure:

LED License Plate Lights:

LED Interior Lights:

PDR guy removing a ding in my fender:

Windows tinted!

Transmission Fiasco:

First meet up with CruzeTalk members in Vermilion, OH:

Brake change (and brake failure after this photo was taken):

Drums painted:

Photoshoot:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I've been waiting for one of these from you! Looks like you're off to a great start!

Something to keep in mind on the door handles, I believe you want the GM Accessories handles, because I'm not 100% on this, but I think the LTZ handles all have the push buttons on them that work with the keyfob for keyless entry (I may be wrong, that may have been optional).

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I've been waiting for one of these from you! Looks like you're off to a great start!

Something to keep in mind on the door handles, I believe you want the GM Accessories handles, because I'm not 100% on this, but I think the LTZ handles all have the push buttons on them that work with the keyfob for keyless entry (I may be wrong, that may have been optional).
Thank you! I wish I had loads of cash to dump into this!

Ahhhhhhh, never thought of that. Good catch, I would have not been a happy camper.

·
10,712 Posts
The handles would be way cheaper w/o the LTZ gadgetry. There was a random set of handles with wires for side markers but I didn't spend any time skipping over that video.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How was it doing license plate lights. My gfs cruze screws are rusted and one broke so I didn't mess with it further.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

How was it doing license plate lights. My gfs cruze screws are rusted and one broke so I didn't mess with it further.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk
Oh man, it sucked. My screws were starting to rust a bit, but I got them out. The hardest part was getting the left side lens to detach from the bulb socket and put back on. I don't know what GM was thinking when they designed this. I had to use needle nose pliers to grasp the bulb socket so I could twist the lens off, that took 5 minutes. Then after I got the LED's in I tried to attach the lens back to the socket and simply had no room to work. After 15 minutes and lots of swear words, I got it back together. Sheesh. At least they look nice and hopefully I don't have to replace them again.

·
2,170 Posts
Oh man, it sucked. My screws were starting to rust a bit, but I got them out. The hardest part was getting the left side lens to detach from the bulb socket and put back on. I don't know what GM was thinking when they designed this. I had to use needle nose pliers to grasp the bulb socket so I could twist the lens off, that took 5 minutes. Then after I got the LED's in I tried to attach the lens back to the socket and simply had no room to work. After 15 minutes and lots of swear words, I got it back together. Sheesh. At least they look nice and hopefully I don't have to replace them again.
I had this exact issue, if only the wires were 2 inches longer.

I've had them installed for about 3 months now, and one of them is now very dim don't know why.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Sweet. Your car looks exactly like mine did before wheels. But I haven't done anything but tune and wheels and mid pipe muffler delete yet.

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had this exact issue, if only the wires were 2 inches longer.

I've had them installed for about 3 months now, and one of them is now very dim don't know why.
No kidding! Wonder if one went bad or your entire assembly is shot. You know the trunk button and the two license plate lights are all one unit?

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol, that was just snow that fell in.

Thanks!

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK LOL, next question is when are you going to put siding on the house?
Sorry I couldn't resist. lol
Lol! Yeah that was just built. Nice place too, heated garage floor with drains, Reznor heater, hot and cold water spigots....

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got my Diode Dynamics XP50's in the mail today! Can't wait too get home from work and install them!

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
69 Posts
Reactions: sparkman
1 - 20 of 240 Posts