Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - I've been trying to educate myself on this system before I make it my own, but haven't found a ton of information searching.

I know there are users who have installed aftermarket headunits with all the necessary Metra accessories (I've ordered these), but I just wanted to verify that all of the systems use externally mounted factory amps. I know the Pioneer system does - but was not sure about the standard system. Because people are able to replace the head unit and not have any problems.... I'm assuming factory speakers are powered by a factory amp so simply replacing the head unit wont be an issue - but just wanted to confirm this, because I'd hate to eff up a $1,000 head unit.

I will be adding my own speakers/amps in the coming weeks, but haven't made a decision on the speakers I want yet, and I know the moment I get the head unit I'm not going to be able to resist installing/waiting for the rest.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Answered my question if this post from another thread is accurate:

02-26-2011, 06:27 PM #18

LARRY01Z28

standard radio does not have an amp or any wires in the rear to tap into. you have to tap into the speakers wires at the door locations

If this is true, how am I seeing some people replace the head unit only? If you're removing the factory unit designed to power speakers @ 2 Ohm impedance and replacing it with an aftermarket HU designed to operate with a 4 Ohm impedance load.... ??? This may shorten the life of a head unit and/or cause it to run hotter. Maybe worth the risk for someone running a lower end head unit, but I don't think some are aware of this risk and may not take it if they were. I know there are a lot of opinions out there on this topic, but most manufacturers do not recommend running 2 Ohm loads off of their units.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts