Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I am looking to replace the clutch on my stock 11 cruze eco. As of right now I have zero performance mods but I plan on the future to do plenty.

In doing some research on some basic stage 1 kits I have found 2 sets (that are reasonably priced) Spec and KY Clutch vs stock set from AutoZone.
-Spec Is rated at 291 ft-lbs of torque with 2100lbs clamping pressure
-KY is rated at 180 ft-lbs of torque with 1500lbs clamping pressure
-As far as the information I can find for stock clutch it is supposedly rated to 236 ft-lbs but only has a clamping pressure of 1200 lbs

So my question would be to those who have these clutches. How much does the pedal effort change between stock to these upgrades? My main reasoning for asking is because my wife occasionally drives my car when I need to use her Excursion and don't want her to struggle with the clutch. And also I do a lot of commuting to and from work and some of that is in the city and a one leg workout after working 12 hours doesn't sound fun to me.

So I would love to hear you guys' opinions and pros vs cons

Thanks,
Boyce

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is about a $100 difference between the Spec and KY, what is general consensus between the two?

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I have used spec with success however a ton of cobalt guys like the KY, Spec IMO overstates its abilities but both are better than stock .

·
Registered
206 Posts
Some people have trouble with spec because they over-rate their clutches. Just go another stage up with spec and it'll last you a good long time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Also, do yourself a favor and buy a tube of window weld and a calk gun. When you have the mounts out, go ahead and fill them with window weld. Trust me, you'll love it. Also, make sure you support the radiator, intercooler, and a/c condenser when you take the subframe down. I've already done this job once and I got sent the wrong clutch and I didn't have a lot of time so I had to put another stocker back in it. I'll be getting an aftermarket one soon and I'll probably go spec. If you don't have a lift, make sure you get a transmission jack. Harbor freight has one for 100$ that's good for people like me who are lacking a lift. Make sure you have two jacks and extra set of hands. Also, that transmission wants to fall off the engine. There are dowels, but, they don't work very well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts