Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Folks,

I have a 6 year 80k mile special coverage N172097060 listed for my 14 Cruze TD in the owners page. Does anyone know what it's for? Its expired already but I'm curious what it's for. I don't recall seeing this before.

specialcoverage.PNG

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
What are the details?

Does it reimburse folks who paid to fix this prior to the warranty expiration?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
The special policy is for water intrusion into the blind zone radar modules that fail.

The policy states reimbursement is available for reasonable and customary expenses. Go see you Chevrolet dealer and make sure you have your receipts.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
13-16 Gen1 Cruze, side blind zone faults.
6yrs or 80k from original in service date.

The repair is new modules and harness and new shields for the modules.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
13-16 Gen1 Cruze, side blind zone faults.
6yrs or 80k from original in service date.

The repair is new modules and harness and new shields for the modules.
Do you have a part # for the shields and sensors they are replacing with? I'm out of warranty but would like to buy the shields at least.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
The shields don't have a separate part number that I know of. They are part of the service kit which includes a new harness, both modules, and two covers.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
They might reimburse you if you kept the bill.
I just paid $200 a piece, out of warranty, and are still waiting for them to be delivered. I didn't realize there was a kit. I just checked the site I bought from and they have a 35% restocking fee so I might as well keep them because it would be over $100 fee which is more than I would save buying the kit. I just am going to miss out on the covers.

I did talk to a dealer and the $400 I paid to have the rear harness replaced at 45k miles is possibly covered for reimbursement. I have to get the invoice to them tomorrow.

If someone buys one of these kits please post a picture of the sensors and the covers.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,675 Posts
Yeah, just checked on Fuelly - we paid ~$170 for the diagnosis of the sensors causing the MyLink fuse to blow, and the cluster to go haywire, and the subsequent disconnection of the sensors and tying up of the harness, instead of replacing them.

Seeing as the kit is $350...that might be worth it to have them again, now that they have splash shields. I'd still seal the modules, if they're not.

Then again, in my mind, it should be $Free because they failed during what is now the special coverage period.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went to a dealer and got the print out for this warranty repair TSB. The module kit come with covers that appear to snap over the plastic housing and also a small wiring re-routing.

If I can't send back the order I made I'll just cut out some old tarp and zip tie it over the inside of the modules to try and block as much water as possible. The dealer programing the ones I bought is going to run $130.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
I would get some butyl flashing tape, and protect the modules that way(instead of tarp). I've been doing that for several years. I've got a roll of it under my toolbox, helps me weatherproof all kind of things.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I picked up kit#84651441 online for about $300 for my 2014 CTD

IMG_0484.JPG

If you are interested in only the 2 black plastic covers and the fasteners, they came in a bag with part# 84626011 on them. Seems to be a $20 part online.

In order to install the covers you have to drill a hole in the top of the bracket (which means removing the bumper cover) and use the push in fastener. The two outward facing holes are already on the bumper bracket. One is used with one push in fastener and the other is the push in tree shaped retainer that also has the zip tie for the cable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The new parts fixed mine for about 2 years, so no improvement over the original part. I have owned the car for 6 years, and now I about to replace the SSDDs for the 3rd time.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The new parts fixed mine for about 2 years, so no improvement over the original part. I have owned the car for 6 years, and now I about to replace the SSDDs for the 3rd time.
When you replace them, make sure they are using the kit with the covers. Also, make sure they hang up the large harness that is in the bumper. The dealer that did mine originally just left the connector hanging. The bumper cover acts like a big scoop and was completely soaking the harness connector (the large wire). I had to put it on top of my bumpber and zip tie it to keep it away from ground level. Haven't had any problems now in almost 1.5 years which is by far the longest I've gone without issues on these.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So here is my latest, ordered 84651441 from an on-line parts dealer. They stated it was not for a 2014 Cruze (incorrect), so I called my local dealer to ask. During that conversation, he confirmed 1) it was the correct part (as noted on my two most receipt dealership repair receipts) and 2) that the part had a 24 month warranty. Cancelled the online order and had my dealership replacement them yesterday FOR FREE. There was some discussion on if the warranty reset when I had them replaced for the 2nd time right at 80k 23 months ago. So I now have had them replaced three times for free (counting the first time which was refunded when the special coverage was announced).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts