Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on Facebook and I saw what appeared to be someone that purchased a new 2016 Cruze and one of the pictures was the bottom of the engine. What I saw appeared to be a "spin on" oil filter. Looked like the good ole' PF47 that was used on most 4 and 6cyl GM cars. I have no problems if they did this. Just a question. If anyone know yet.

·
2,170 Posts
Reactions: Booger

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
They went back to the element for environmental reasons. I wonder why they would go back to the can again?

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,903 Posts
They went back to the element for environmental reasons. I wonder why they would go back to the can again?
Maybe a lack of access? It's possible that wherever the best location for the filter cartridge would've put it under the turbo, or in an inaccessible location?

While I certainly don't mind the cartridge - it made for extraordinarily easy filter changes prior to the blower going on my Cobalt (and even now, it's not hard, just a touch messier) - this looks to be extremely easy as well.

Oh - and vertical. I cannot tell you how much I hate the oil filter on the 2200 on my Cavalier - on the back of the engine, halfway down, and sideways.

Reactions: chevrasaki

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW, I did on Rock auto and it still lists the same filter as we have in 2011-2015. I only saw the pic and questioned: Spin on again? Not enough real estate on the top for a Canister filter like 2011-2015? Not enough data yet to have a part number yet?

·
2,170 Posts
Maybe a lack of access? It's possible that wherever the best location for the filter cartridge would've put it under the turbo, or in an inaccessible location?

While I certainly don't mind the cartridge - it made for extraordinarily easy filter changes prior to the blower going on my Cobalt (and even now, it's not hard, just a touch messier) - this looks to be extremely easy as well.

Oh - and vertical. I cannot tell you how much I hate the oil filter on the 2200 on my Cavalier - on the back of the engine, halfway down, and sideways.
Vertical is a huge advantage, keeps everything nice and clean :) I hope changing the oil will be as easy as it looks like it would be. If both the drain bolt and that filter are easily accessed from under the car, without having to remove any aero shields or cross braces that'd be great.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Pics or iT did'nt happen . Besides we want to see if there is a shield that is'nt butchered like a long haired dude with a bad hair cut .

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Aside from the filter being a PITA to get to with a wrench, I kinda like the little upside-down cartridge filter. It's very clean to take out.

My girlfriend's Toyota is one of the easiest oil changes I've done. It, too, uses a cartridge, but it's on the very bottom of the engine. There's a little drain tube/valve you open, and let that drain out, then take the cap off. Very easy to access, very not messy.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If that is a spin on vertical filter, I could see that being very easy to change and not messy. Using a cap wrench, I personally would only need the wrench 1 time. The first time I changed the oil then unless someone else changes it, it would be a spin on my hand for me as I never saw it necessary to tighten more than by hand and never had a leak. That is of course is what I say now but if I had one I am sure I would find it different and end up using the wrench every time.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I'll miss the opportunity to change the oil with the topside extractor. I really like the Cartridge style filter. Not a drop of oil comes out of that housing. I can't see how a traditional can filter can be so clean.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll miss the opportunity to change the oil with the topside extractor. I really like the Cartridge style filter. Not a drop of oil comes out of that housing. I can't see how a traditional can filter can be so clean.
Drain the oil before removing the filter and there really should be no large amounts of oil that would spill. Maybe a drop or so but not much as most the oil in that area will be in the filter itself. Now if it were sideways, that may be a different story.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just got a 2016 Cruze. I can probably get a shot of the underside after work. I can't take too many requests, but what angles would you like?

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I just got a 2016 Cruze. I can probably get a shot of the underside after work. I can't take too many requests, but what angles would you like?
If you could get any pic it would be under the car by the passenger front wheel facing up to the where the radiator is. See if you can see a blue canister under there. That would be the spin on filter. If under the hood, take a pic of the top front of the engine looking down betw the engine and radiator. The current 1.4 has a oil filter screw on cap there.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The only thing I can think of that would make that a pain to change would be some kind of aero shield up front underneath the radiator. That oil filter looks like it would be in the front of the engine compartment. Actually it is low so I bet there will nothing to get in the way.

Wonder if Amsoil will make a filter for it since it is cartridge? :)

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So despite the pic, is it a spin on or an upside down Cartridge pictured blue so we know where the filter is? As I said previously RockAUto has the same filter for the new Cruze as the Gen I filter. I guess we will have to wait for the official word from our one Gen IIers if they change their own oil or we get a tell tale pic ?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I love the new design! IF the picture is accurate they have certainly changed the oil filter. Looks like it would be even easier to change the oil on this one than our current design, although I think it couldn't be much simpler. I changed my oil last weekend, took me about 15 minutes start to finish.

I wonder if this unit could be dropped in a 2013:)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
So despite the pic, is it a spin on or an upside down Cartridge pictured blue so we know where the filter is? As I said previously RockAUto has the same filter for the new Cruze as the Gen I filter. I guess we will have to wait for the official word from our one Gen IIers if they change their own oil or we get a tell tale pic ?
GM Powertrain lists some of the features of the "New 1.4L" as spin on oil filter. Rockauto lists ACDELCO UPF64R Professional along with a bunch of cartridges that fit the GEN 1 1.4L. I'm guessing this UPF64R is the correct filter. Amazon shows a picture of it being a traditional can style.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust Car Auto part Vehicle Ceiling Metal Car Vehicle Auto part Car Subcompact car
These pictures were taken from the front of the car, Just ducking under the front bumper, and snapping a few pictures with a sales guy at the dealership actually taking the pictures.
He said, he could reach the oil filter, from there. As you can see, there's nothing under the car to stop you from changing the oil.
It does look like the OLD style oil filter as well.
This was on the L model.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Looks nice and tidy down there.....note the two piece oil pan as well as well a what appears to be a 15mm(could be 13mm) hex drain plug head as well.

Rob

1 - 20 of 40 Posts