Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are debating for months wether or not to purchase the the non-oem fog lights that are sold on eBay/CarID and are branded as "Spyder", I decided to purchase them. The results are mediocre and I just can't understand why? With som members on here purchasing them and even a member making a YouTube video on the install process (and I thank you for the ratchet handle type tool top to secure the screws). I have a gap in between the lamp housing and the black trim part. Is this normal? Maybe since they are adjustable, they need room to be able to move up and down. I also can't get the black trim portion to fully seat into the bumper. It's like the top part refuses to go In at all. Someone please assist le
with this. Also the silver trim to me is very cheaply made. It started to strip away from the screws on the back of the black part. I mean I am just shocked at the poor quality of these because I've never heard anyone complain about them on here. I was however able to get them to easily work via an oem switch I purchased as opposed to the tacky led switch it comes with. I was greatful my BCM didnt need a reflash. So two things need to mainly
be done- can someone clarify if that gap is normal and how to get them to seat properly. Also if people are having these same problems can you please say something because there are vendors on here selling those and we need to look out for one another. I don't want anyone else getting tricked like me if its posible
to prevent it. But if this is just a freak accident then it's okay as long as the replace mine.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Probably going to have to "adjust" the fit yourself, and don't strip that screw--it's the only thing holding the light in, my led DRL-turn signal ones fit loose and the plastic is not as thick or the same type as the stock plug, yep good ole Chinese quality, at least yours are too tight which can be fixed, mine have not fallen out- -YET
for the $70 I spent I'm still happy with mine and if they do fall out I'll just fix them, they do look good and provide some light and increased visibility--

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying you have the same lights as me? Mine don't fit too tight, they simply have a gap. It's the black plastic that won't go in

·
Registered
270 Posts
Looks like you will have to remove some material where they wont go in and no I do not have the fog light ones, funny thing is the Chinese guy I was communicating with on my "Mercedes Benz style switch back led daytime running lights" told me they had spent 50K on the tooling to make these cruze lights--you would think they would have got the fit a little more exact spending that much money !! maybe the Chinese version of the cruze is actually slight different on those light cutouts ?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it's not like it's that uneven where material needs to be cut and doing that will most certainly render the part useless. The thing is, this is my first time disassembling this part. For all I know the stock instructs can be just as hard to get back in. That's why I'm asking for those who have done it to chime in. I know with automotive exterior parts and interior panels, there is almost a specific technique to get certain parts to snap back into place. The thing is, these members on here as well as Amazon user reviews make it seem like they are "oooo soooo easygoing get in and great!", so if the actual fitting was an issue, wouldn't it have been addressed by now? That's why I feel I was sent defective ones, or even perhaps using the wrong technique to get them in. I've viewed the one guy one here who made a YouTube video on the install, and did see that same gap between the lens and the black trim. So I'm guessing that's standard. However he skipped over how he go the black part to fit in and sit flush. Again, any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
The thing is, this is my first time disassembling this part. For all I know the stock instructs can be just as hard to get back in. That's why I'm asking for those who have done it to chime in. I know with automotive exterior parts and interior panels, there is almost a specific technique to get certain parts to snap back into place.
Ah, the old "if at first it doesn't fit, take it apart, study it, and try again" technique. I think that's just one of the unwritten rules.

Sorry, I haven't done that myself (yet). But that's what I'd do.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
That was my car and the video that you watched. Glad the tool suggestion helped you out. :)

The trim piece on my lights fit nice and tight up against the filler piece. However, there was no assembly on those 2 parts for me. It just came that way. It appears that there is some type of flashing (excess plastic) from the assembly process that is causing the fit issue. You can also try using a heat gun to warm up the material and see if you can get it to conform.

Also make sure the screws that you are using for the lights are not so long that they are pushing against the black filler piece and pushing it out.

The gap in the light housing to the filler piece is normal since it's necessary for the adjustment range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts