Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as some of you might know, I sold the Cruze last October for a Passat. However, thanks to a great community here, I want to post my latest build with my Passat.

FIRST, huge thanks to Xtreme for all his hard work and help with this project.

Stay tuned for more details and photos.

Some background info - I wanted to find the best bang for buck audio build - the stock VW stereo just wasn't cutting it for my 2 hour daily commute. I was almost about to take the plunge on a set of ID Ctx65cs but something told me I should reach out to our resident expert for advice. Xtreme suggested to go the active route and walked me through all the reasons why. After some reading and catching myself up (it had been about 15 years since I played in the audio world), I was convinced this was the better route.

With a budget of ~$500, I purchased the following (along with a Kicker LOC and Kicker amp wiring kit):

Mid-bass: Silver Flute - http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...1/2-wool-cone/
Tweeter: SEAS Prestige - http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...-dome-tweeter/
miniDSP - http://www.minidsp.com/products/mini...ox/minidsp-2x4
4 channel amp: Soundstream 100x4 - http://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-PN.../dp/B00E0EW3ZW

Tuesday night, I started out by running the amp power cord. Yup that was it :) I have to say that once I found a good spot for the amp (under the drivers seat), running the cord through the firewall was really easy since VW already has a nice whole for this.

Last night, I made a lot of progress. I got the amp ground run, LOC installed, miniDC installed and miniDSP installed.

miniDC in its new home:
LOC-miniDC.JPG

Kicker LOC all set thanks to posi-taps

LOC.JPG

miniDSP in its new home:

miniDSP.JPG

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry really behind on this project thanks in part to tree pollen!

Any way I have the tweeters all wire up and installed. I'm not getting any audio out of the amplifier so I have to check the amp's ground as well as the RCA cables.

Here are some crappy iPhone photos from last night. As you'll see the SEAS prestige tweeters are mounted nicely in their new home. The photos show a small gap but this is hardly noticeable. All in all I'm really happy with the way this came out - looks stock and I was glad that the black matched up.

tweeter1.JPG

tweeter2.JPG

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Always have to run the common, better word than ground, clear back to the radio for an external amplifier, or will get ground loops that generate a lot of noise that can be very annoying.

If the case of the amplifier is grounded that is a very poor practice, have to insulate that for the mounting.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tweeters didnt fit under the factory grills?
No there was almost no depth and I feel this looks better and might even sound better.

Always have to run the common, better word than ground, clear back to the radio for an external amplifier, or will get ground loops that generate a lot of noise that can be very annoying.

If the case of the amplifier is grounded that is a very poor practice, have to insulate that for the mounting.
What? I just have move the ground to the spot that the factory is using for grounds (found this spot last night). The current spot is painted which I believe is the issue.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Never use shared factory ground points. Always prep the surface to bare metal. Do you have a multimeter? If so measure your resistance to ground when you choose a location

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:sigh:

yes I do (assuming I can find it) and that's a great idea.

I may leave the ground spot where it is currently but as you mentioned sand it down a bit to bare metal.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Couple other related questions.

Should I ground my LOC? If yes, can I ground that to the same spot as the amp ground? Currently, I did not hook up the ground cable on this.

Can the miniDC ground go to the same grounding spot as the amp?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Couple other related questions.

Should I ground my LOC? If yes, can I ground that to the same spot as the amp ground? Currently, I did not hook up the ground cable on this.

Can the miniDC ground go to the same grounding spot as the amp?
So it seems the ground for LOC is not necessary but I'm still not sure about the other ground questions.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Rule is for all audio or electronics, use a common ground. If you connect the "ground lead" of a very sensitive oscilloscope to the key reference point, the negative terminal of the battery, and use the probe all over the vehicle at different ground points, you will measure all different voltages. With an amplifier this sure can pick up a lot of noise, because the grounds are not all at one point.

Same is true for the BCM and ECM, have to run a separate common to all those sensors, but is grounded, has to be because the negative battery post powers all. But is grounded at one common point. Guys that tap into the the BCM or ECM common lines quickly learn their BCM's or ECM's will crash.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still getting a nasty buzzing from my speakers. I used a hole the seat rails are using and then I tried to separate the grounds leaving the amp ground in the seat rail location and the miniDC to a different spot. Multimeter said this spot was about .5 resistance (assuming I'm using it correctly).

My only other thought is that the rca cable does not like being bunched up (since its 4 meters long) or is picking up noise from somewhere else.

Either way the mids are in and the door panels have been reinstalled. Without the noise issue, I'd be done. Here are some basic photos of how they site. I ended up going back and adding more cld panels - there are 2 on the outer panel (1 of which is positioned right behind the speaker), cut pieces on ~25% of the inner panel and a handful on the inside of the door panel itself.

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that's a good idea - I'll give this a shot.

The CLD tiles are impressive. Given their reasonably low cost, I'm embarrassed that I had spent so much money on Dynamat extreme in past projects. These tiles are super thick and also have great adhesion.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I think it is the RCA cables coming out of the LOC however I'm not convinced on process of elimination. For example, if I remove the amp ground, I don't get the noise (BUT this is because the amp is now off!). But when I pulled 1 of the RCAs from the miniDSP, the noise went away and I got music out of the speakers (well half since it was a half input signal).

I'm going to another test tonight by swapping out the RCAs for an old pair of Monster component cables (much thicker and shielded).

1 - 20 of 78 Posts