Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this really annoying chirp when accelerating but most noticeably, intermittently at idle. While at idle, it starts when the fan starts, but then fades out even while the fan is still going. I replaced the fan, but it's still making the noise. On closer inspection it seems to be coming from the motor side, almost like the intake before the manifold. Could this be reverberating up from the Turbo? Does the Turbo kick on with the fan at idle?

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,905 Posts
Crankshaft seal squeal probably.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,905 Posts
That would start each time the fan starts to kick on at idle?
The fan shouldn’t be on at idle at least right at startup. Post a video of the sound maybe.

·
Premium Member
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
1,334 Posts
I have this really annoying chirp when accelerating but most noticeably, intermittently at idle. While at idle, it starts when the fan starts, but then fades out even while the fan is still going. I replaced the fan, but it's still making the noise. On closer inspection it seems to be coming from the motor side, almost like the intake before the manifold. Could this be reverberating up from the Turbo? Does the Turbo kick on with the fan at idle?
The turbo does not "kick in" (also known as spool) at idle.

What's "the motor side"?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fan shouldn’t be on at idle at least right at startup. Post a video of the sound maybe.
I'll have to in the morning. No it's not at startup. After I drive around and get it hot and then put it in park, the fan intermittently comes on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The turbo does not "kick in" (also known as spool) at idle.

What's "the motor side"?
So it doesn't spool at all in relation to the fan coming on? Good to know. But the noise is somehow related to the fan coming on.
By motor side, just meant that it's not coming from the fan. It seems louder further back. Is there anything rotational in the intake/intake manifold that might work congruently with the fan?

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,905 Posts
So it doesn't spool at all in relation to the fan coming on? Good to know. But the noise is somehow related to the fan coming on.
By motor side, just meant that it's not coming from the fan. It seems louder further back. Is there anything rotational in the intake/intake manifold that might work congruently with the fan?
alternator due to increased power draw?

Reactions: MP81

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[/QUOT
Maybe. I ran it around to the store right now, but I couldn't get it hot enough for the fan to kick on while in park. I'll hit the freeway tomorrow and get it there. Is there a chance it's related to the water pump? I read someone claiming an intermittent chirp at temp was fixed by it. There would have to be a direct link between the fan and pump function though.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,758 Posts
This is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe your belt is slipping due to wear, or a bad belt tensioner.
My thinking as well.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
If the turbo makes any squeal noise its basically destroyed.

Considering your car is still driving... Not the turbo.

The turbo spins at idle but its not much (1,000 to 10,000 rpm) compared to accelerating which is more like 80,000 rpm.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,970 Posts
There are 2 things that commonly cause a "chirp" of sorts on these cars, and they tend to happen when there's increased load on the engine (like A/C compressor or alternator draw).

1. Loose spark plug. Easy to check.
2. PCV system - the crank seal is doing the chirping. It's a result of the check valve in the intake manifold being bad and if it's this, the "chirp" will stop if the dipstick is pulled out slightly. If that's what it is, go pick up one of the PCV fix kits.

The serpentine belt tensioners are also known to come apart - they'll still hold tension but may squeak a little, and the spring will start rattling around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Apologies for being late to the discussion.

In all likelihood, a worn accessory belt, fluid contaminated belt, and/or worn pulley(ies). NOT the tensioner, idler(s), or other unloaded accessory. A noisy, bad tensioner or idler will be noisy at any time not specific to loading. The chirp you hear is most likely the belt slipping when the A/C compressor engages. The fan engages with the compressor, and the A/C is active even when you don't have it selected. Replace with a quality, US made belt, or dealer supplied. Another possibility is the A/C clutch. If changing the belt doesn't help, clean the clutch with brake cleaner. Engine off, belt removed, spray in the gap between the clutch plates, let it dry thoroughly before reinstalling the belt (don't get brake cleaner on the belt).

·
Registered
36 Posts
pull the dipstick if it stops then its a bad valve cover. i bought an after market valve cover and the chirping sound drove me nuts changed valve cover havent heard it since

1 - 15 of 15 Posts