Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So I complained a month or so ago about my hub caps squeaking a lot, and I had one of them replaced by the dealer.

well a couple weeks later the squeaking came back and it was even louder!

So I took little bit of silicon brakepad lube and put it around the inside of the hub cap. (Around the outer edge and around the 5 area's behind the nuts.)

no more squeak! :eek:ccasion14:

and the brake lube is water resistant to boot!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Mine have squeaked and I couldn't figure out a fix so I moved the bad one to a different wheel. Something changed and the squeak went away. I'll try some silicone grease if it comes back. I have a theory that the squeak has something to do with how tight you get the plastic nuts but I don't know if that's right.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Mine have squeaked and I couldn't figure out a fix so I moved the bad one to a different wheel. Something changed and the squeak went away. I'll try some silicone grease if it comes back. I have a theory that the squeak has something to do with how tight you get the plastic nuts but I don't know if that's right.
Most cars hubcaps give a light squeak heard at slow speed and its due to the contact points of the hubcap. normally wiping off the brake dust and shifting from 1 wheel to another fixes your little squeak. otherwise some light grease on the contacts will eliminate the issue.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Trust me this isnt a light squeak, it's so loud that it's embarrassing and very annoying. I think it's why the 2012's have a different model of hubcap. The 2011's just dont fit perfectly I'm assuming.

Also you can't really hear it until your going at least 60.

edit`.

I thought it was the nuts being too tight as well so i tested it, I found tight or not they still squeaked a lot. I think the nuts are fine, my last car had the exact same nut style (Aveo) and they never made any noise.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it rained last night... and so much for being water resistant becuase i saw that the lube was dripping down the wheel when i came to my car this morning.

I didn't hear any squeaking so it didn't all wash off... If the squeak comes back im going to try increasing my tire pressure and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts