Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I own a 2011 Cruze LT (with RS and A/T). I have 12000 miles on it. It has been running fine since I got it a year ago, but I never really drove it in traffic or frequent start/stop situations so I was always happy with the way it drove (except for the coolant leak that took months to find and fix)

For the last couple of months, I get traffic and I have to stop and go at alot of stop signs. I hate the way my car behaves; when going to a stop, the transmission feels bumpy on 3rd to 2nd to 1st gear. A few times, while leaving a stop, I felt as if it accelerated more than I wanted it, as if I got bumped from behind kind of feeling.

This "clunky" driving happens when it gets hot, 10+ minutes of driving or so. Could it be related to heat or pressure within the A/T? I always drive "eco" and I don't have a lead foot. Could the engine and transmission not work together very well?

I am starting to have serious doubts about its long term reliability given that I bought it. What does everyone think? I did not find any posts that describe such a behaviour.

Thank you for any comments!

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Seems like you have not searched the topics too closely because transmission problems and the 2011 Cruze go hand in hand. Here a few topics that you can read, but to save you hours of reading, it seems that the ONLY solutions to the transmission problem is:

1. something called a Trifecta Tune that YOU pay for and is done by someone who specializes in this procedure.

2. trade your 2011 for a 2012 or 2013 model- problem solved!

Here are the topics anyway:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/10-e...sh-updates-available-since-8-31-2011-a-9.html

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/10-engine-technical-discussion/6851-transmission-problems-4.html

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/10-engine-technical-discussion/983-jerky-transmission-2.html

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/10-engine-technical-discussion/8036-trans-problem-i-think.html

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/10-e...on/8033-issues-shifting-delayed-shifting.html

I'm sure there are more, but these should suffice. Good luck, but don't hold out ANY hope of it being fixed. Next week I'm bringing my car in again and they are going to hook up a "data recorder" to see if it will pick up the erratic shifting, confusion about what gear to shift to and the lack of response at times when I step on the accelerator. My car is a 2011 LTZ RS with a little over 11,000 miles in 20 months.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
To be honest - when I first saw your thread subject I thought you were talking about rush hour traffic in general. :)

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi,

I own a 2011 Cruze LT (with RS and A/T). I have 12000 miles on it. It has been running fine since I got it a year ago, but I never really drove it in traffic or frequent start/stop situations so I was always happy with the way it drove (except for the coolant leak that took months to find and fix)

For the last couple of months, I get traffic and I have to stop and go at alot of stop signs. I hate the way my car behaves; when going to a stop, the transmission feels bumpy on 3rd to 2nd to 1st gear. A few times, while leaving a stop, I felt as if it accelerated more than I wanted it, as if I got bumped from behind kind of feeling.

This "clunky" driving happens when it gets hot, 10+ minutes of driving or so. Could it be related to heat or pressure within the A/T? I always drive "eco" and I don't have a lead foot. Could the engine and transmission not work together very well?

I am starting to have serious doubts about its long term reliability given that I bought it. What does everyone think? I did not find any posts that describe such a behaviour.

Thank you for any comments!

gt_cristian,
Have you had a chance to take your Cruze into your dealer to have them look into your concerns? I would like you to send me a PM with your name, address, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer so I can look into this further for you. I look forward to hearing back from you.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not contact GM regarding this yet because I was not sure this is a real problem.

I have to admit that if I will contact my dealer and tell them it is an intermittent problem, they will drive it and say "it runs fine, its the way Cruzes are made". They told me this when I was losing 1cm of coolant over two weeks and everytime I put on the heat I was smelling coolant badly. It took 4 months and a number of visits to the dealer to get it fixed. I appoloigize for my frustration! I guess I was too proud of my Cruze RS when I bought it and I am not sure it will drive as I'd like for 6 more years...

Could this A/T issue cause higher than normal fuel consumption? My friend bought a 2012 Eco and we compared MPGs (DIC display, same load, similar driving conditions):

2012 Cruze ECO, A/T, 87 octane
48 MPG @ 70 mph

2011 Cruze LT RS, A/T, 91 octane (4rd tank on 91)
36 MPG @ 70 mph

It made me wonder why such a difference...

Anyway, I am going to go for an oil change next month and I will mention about the transmission issues.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
2011 A/T has 3.87:1 final drive ratio.
2012 A/T has 3.53:1 final drive ratio.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2011 A/T has 3.87:1 final drive ratio.
2012 A/T has 3.53:1 final drive ratio.
Oh I forgot about that change. I wonder why the 2011s didn't get it right from the start; for a car that was tested so much... >20% better MPG is a HUGE difference. Maybe, we, in North America are really the best testers out there :)

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
2012 Cruze ECO, A/T, 87 octane
48 MPG @ 70 mph

2011 Cruze LT RS, A/T, 91 octane (4rd tank on 91)
36 MPG @ 70 mph

It made me wonder why such a difference...

Anyway, I am going to go for an oil change next month and I will mention about the transmission issues.

You're also comparing a regular RS Cruze, with an Eco, big difference between the two.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are probably right, but most reviews dont show that much of a difference (>20%) between an LT and an ECO.

How much would the RS package affect the MPG (wider 18" wheels vs. low resistance tire on the ECO)? I would say 3-5 MPG lost because of the tires+package vs. the ECO.

I was running Shell 91, did that not help at all vs. 87 octane on the ECO? I am thinking 3-5 MPG gained here.

If those two cancel out, ECO's final gear ratio + active front fascia must add about 10 MPGs. Does that sound about right?

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
The difference is hard to quantify and more complicated than a generic number. Yes, there is a difference in the tires, but most likely slight difference. Most of the difference is in the aerodynamics and the new final drive ratio. I think those numbers are a bit exaggerated though because I don't know any manual Eco owners getting quite that high at 70 mph.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
The ECO also has several features that help highway MPG. Active front grill that reduces the apparent frontal cross section of the car at speed, lower ride height (I think the RS package is also lowered), gearing that reduces engine RPM by 500 RPM at 65 MPH, underbody laminer flow panels between the front and rear suspension, rear trunk spoiler to "lengthen" the car's air flow profile, and low rolling resistance tires.

Although all these help improve fuel economy for the ECO, I suspect the biggest gains are from the reduction in apparent frontal cross section and the overall smoothing of the air flow over and under the car via the underbody panels and the rear trunk spoiler. These features reduce the amount of horsepower required to push the car through the air. Combine this with lower RPM, which directly reduces the amount of fuel used per ignition cycle and you get dramatically improved fuel economy.

The weight reduction features of the ECO MT such as no spare tire really only assist in city driving.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your comments Erik and obermd.

The RS package is also lowered and comes with a rear spoiler. The front fascia and the final gear ratio must make most of the difference.

So, is it possible to install the active front fascia on a non-Eco Cruze? :) The underbody panels can be installed, I remember finding some info and the part numbers for the panels somewhere.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I don't know if the lower grill on the RS trim is in the same position relative to the car's frame as the lower grill in the ECO. The shutters are actually behind the lower grill. I'm also not sure what software updates or options would need to be added or changed to control the shutters.

The underbody panels would be worth it if you live in snow country. I discovered last winter that they allow the Cruze to slide over deep snow like a sled.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.