Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after doing some searching, I was unable to come up with any posts that seem to be the issue I'm having. I'm getting a faint clicking noise from the steering column at any speed. Seems to coincide with bumps in the road. I was able to get under the dash and isolate the noise to the steering column. Mainly from the telescoping portion of the column. It almost sounds like a plastic connector hitting the column, but there is nothing loose that I can find. Is anyone else experiencing this? It's really starting to get a bit annoying. Haven't had any issues with the sticking steering wheel on the interstate, but this may be related?

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
How old and how many miles on your Cruze? Also, can you duplicate this noise at will? It's not related to the sticky steering.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
So after doing some searching, I was unable to come up with any posts that seem to be the issue I'm having. I'm getting a faint clicking noise from the steering column at any speed. Seems to coincide with bumps in the road. I was able to get under the dash and isolate the noise to the steering column. Mainly from the telescoping portion of the column. It almost sounds like a plastic connector hitting the column, but there is nothing loose that I can find. Is anyone else experiencing this? It's really starting to get a bit annoying. Haven't had any issues with the sticking steering wheel on the interstate, but this may be related?
Hello Msedly,

We apologize for this concern, and would be more than happy to reach out to the dealership on your behalf. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How old and how many miles on your Cruze? Also, can you duplicate this noise at will? It's not related to the sticky steering.
I'm just shy of 50k. I can duplicate the noise with the car off, just have to quickly tap the wheel in either direction with my palm. It is quite a bit noisier when I'm driving though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just got back from a short ride and may have found the problem. I hit a bump in the road where they're re-paving right near my house and noticed that the steering wheel moved a bit. I pushed up on the wheel and noticed that it actually moves up and down a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch with the tilt handle locked. I looked under the dash and it appears to be loose where the back of the steering wheel meets the column. The steering wheel rides on the inner part and slides into the outer section for the telescoping feature. This is where the flex is. Why the **** is my steering wheel falling off??? I'm at almost 50k, so it's doubtful to be covered under warranty, but WTF?!

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Well I just got back from a short ride and may have found the problem. I hit a bump in the road where they're re-paving right near my house and noticed that the steering wheel moved a bit. I pushed up on the wheel and noticed that it actually moves up and down a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch with the tilt handle locked. I looked under the dash and it appears to be loose where the back of the steering wheel meets the column. The steering wheel rides on the inner part and slides into the outer section for the telescoping feature. This is where the flex is. Why the **** is my steering wheel falling off??? I'm at almost 50k, so it's doubtful to be covered under warranty, but WTF?!
Hey msedly,

We recognize your steering wheel isn't as stable as it once was. Since you're outside of warranty there is a great chance you'll be responsible for the repair costs. However, if you'd like to work with the dealer we're happy to contact them on your behalf. Just PM us your VIN, full contact info, and preferred dealership name. We'll gladly do what we can to help.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 6 of 6 Posts