Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, while going at hwy speeds (80 km/h+), i notice that there's a pulsation coming from the steering wheel. The car is brand new and I'm not feeling vibration/pulsing in the feet so I don't think it's a wheel balance issue. I think I read somewhere awhile ago that it's normal and is caused from the electric steering column. Normal or should I bring it in?

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
Balance your tires. It's not normal but even a brand new car can have a tire/wheel combination out of balance.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Balance your tires. It's not normal but even a brand new car can have a tire/wheel combination out of balance.

I don't think it's a wheel balance issue because the vibrating doesn't increase/ decrease when changing speeds. It's the exact same pulsation at 80km/hr as when I go 150km/hr. If it were my tires, It would only occur during certain speeds normally or at the very least fluctuate in vibration strength.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
I need more info:

1) year of vehicle

2) mileage on tires

3) has the tire / wheel bead ever been broken since it left th factory?

4) is there any wear pattern developing on the tires?

5) has your power steering module been reprogrammed?

Reactions: Merc6 and Shawn855

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need more info:

1) year of vehicle

2) mileage on tires

3) has the tire / wheel bead ever been broken since it left th factory?

4) is there any wear pattern developing on the tires?

5) has your power steering module been reprogrammed?
2016 cruze limited

2000 kms total mileage of vehicle

No

No wear pattern

No. I never even brought it to the dealer yet because I wasn't sure if it was an issue, or normal. Also, it doesn't have power steering. It's electric.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Something's not right. But I'm guessing you already know that.

Please double check your cold tire pressure against the values listed on the tire placard.

Did you buy from Courville or Crosstown?

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
Electric power steering is still power steering.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something's not right. But I'm guessing you already know that.

Please double check your cold tire pressure against the values listed on the tire placard.

Did you buy from Courville or Crosstown?
Crosstown. My 2012 sonic was riddled with problems so after a couple years they brought out the remaining 10 grand and put me in this 2016 cruze limited. I'm grateful but jeez, Now I'm having issues with this one.....

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Crosstown. My 2012 sonic was riddled with problems so after a couple years they brought out the remaining 10 grand and put me in this 2016 cruze limited. I'm grateful but jeez, Now I'm having issues with this one.....
Okay. Crosstown has two specialized machines. They're called Hunter GSP9700. They are road force balancing machines. Sometimes called promatch in the trade.

You need to find out who at crosstown is their best man on this machine. And which of the two machines is the better one. You need to speak to this technician very nicely and ask that he recalibrate the machine. Then you need to get your wheel+tire assemblies tested on this machine.

Don't let them break any of your tire beads unless it is more than 10 pounds or more road force. And make sure you don't get jerked around by the service advisor. The factory is capable of matching tires better than anyone else. A hotshot on a GSP9700 can come close - but it's never quite the same.

I have been using this machine on tires for more than 15 years now. So I know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Okay. Crosstown has two specialized machines. They're called Hunter GSP9700. They are road force balancing machines. Sometimes called promatch in the trade.

You need to find out who at crosstown is their best man on this machine. And which of the two machines is the better one. You need to speak to this technician very nicely and ask that he recalibrate the machine. Then you need to get your wheel+tire assemblies tested on this machine.

Don't let them break any of your tire beads unless it is more than 10 pounds or more road force. And make sure you don't get jerked around by the service advisor. The factory is capable of matching tires better than anyone else. A hotshot on a GSP9700 can come close - but it's never quite the same.

I have been using this machine on tires for more than 15 years now. So I know what I'm talking about.
Do you really think it's a wheel balance? Like, it's not really a vibration. It's more like sensation felt when holding the steering wheel firmly. The electric power steering motor is directly on the steering shaft so maybe i'm just feeling that? I've had many wheel balance issues in the past but this time it doesn't feel like it. Here's what's in my head: you know how the steering gets stiff(er) when going highway speed for about 5 minutes due to the electric steering getting tighter? Maybe while it's doing this, I'm feeling the electric steering pulsations from the stiffening of the steering wheel. It's more noticeable while turning the steering wheel around bends on the hwy.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
The steering in the Cruze is extremely stable so if you're getting any pulsing on smooth pavement you have an issue.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
To be honest with you I don't know.

Want brand are the tires?

could you also search the term sticktion to see if that applies to what you're experiencing?

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To be honest with you I don't know.

Want brand are the tires?

could you also search the term sticktion to see if that applies to what you're experiencing?
I don't think that term applies here but good idea :) The tires are firestone FR710. Think of this theory: You know how the past chevy cruzes, there were TONS of complaints of the steering wheel being TOO stiff or sticky at hwy speeds? Maybe they changed it a bit and made it so the electric steering is now working all the time so that the past steering issues don't happen anymore. So now I'm constantly feeling the motor working away to prevent the wheel from locking up like in the past cruzes. lol. Far stretch I know. I'll get an opinion at the dealer tomorrow but was curious what you fine people thought.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
I had the steering fixed in my 2012 ECO and you can't tell the system is working.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Why not just take it to your local Chevrolet dealer and let them determine the issue and a proper fix?

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I don't think that term applies here but good idea :) The tires are firestone FR710. Think of this theory: You know how the past chevy cruzes, there were TONS of complaints of the steering wheel being TOO stiff or sticky at hwy speeds? Maybe they changed it a bit and made it so the electric steering is now working all the time so that the past steering issues don't happen anymore. So now I'm constantly feeling the motor working away to prevent the wheel from locking up like in the past cruzes. lol. Far stretch I know. I'll get an opinion at the dealer tomorrow but was curious what you fine people thought.
Hey Shawn855,

We regret to hear you are experiencing this pulsation concern with your Cruze and can understand how this is frustrating with a new vehicle. We would be happy to look into this for you, please feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, mileage and your preferred dealership.

Best,

Cristina
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
Rotating doesn't check the spin balance of the wheels. I've seen balance issues that only appear above 60 MPH (98 KPH) and yet remain very, very subtle while driving.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Rotating doesn't check the spin balance of the wheels. I've seen balance issues that only appear above 60 MPH (98 KPH) and yet remain very, very subtle while driving.
As have I. Hence the many intimate years of experience with a GSP9700.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Yeah I rotated them and it seems a little bit better but it might be my imagination so I'll see if I can work out a deal to get a free wheel balance since the car is still brand new.

Edited: I have an appointment in 1 hour to have the tires balanced. Will report back.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the tire and rim assembly was off on all 4 tires but the mini vibration is still there so I'm just going to have to ignore it because I know for a fact that crosstown will just say that there's nothing wrong with it and I'll only get more stressed out and broke from this. I'm just going to pretend that it's like this on all 2016s but people just aren't noticing it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts