Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about numerous people having a problem with the steering "sticking" while applying light pressure for small steering corrections. It is most noticable at highway speeds, but I can get it to duplicate the problem in the driveway.
Now for the real issue; The vehicle has been at the dealer all week. They supposedly had a GM engineer or district rep in their shop today looking at another vehicle and they asked him about the steering complaint on my car. His reply was "I have heard nothing about this kind of steering problem and we have no TSB's or recalls open for this problem. There is nothing that we can do".
How many people on this forum have read about steering issues on the Cruze? Search for steering, sticking, binding or numerous other words and you will see that this is not an uncommon complaint.

The REAL problem seems to be, if they do not know what to do to correct an issue, then it does not exist. Just like the problem with the power brake micro switch that they are currently replacing under recall. It never existed for months because the dealer, tech line, district engineer or ? did not know what to do to solve the issue. Standard response from GM - cannot duplicate the problem (never drove the car) and we have never heard of this issue before. Therefore we cannot repair the problem.

Can't wait for a response from the Chevy Customer Care rep on this one. Why do I think the response will be an exact copy of what was offered during the brake booster issue before it became a recall?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Sigh

Everyone with this problem should do three things.
1. Open an incident with GM via the toll free number in the back of their OM.
2. PM the Chevy Customer Care id here and get them involved.
3. File a complaint with NHTSA on the issue. If you build enough entries, it will force more emphasis of the issue on GM and maybe the resolution will be given a higher priority.

Vehicle Owners | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Mods, can this thread be merged with the other one on this subject?

Reactions: ems2158

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey hydrasport,

I apologize that you are experiencing this with your Cruze! I would be happy to follow up with your dealership to see if there is something more than can be done. Would you please PM me your name, contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership.

We look forward to your reply,

Jonathan A. (Assisting Jackie)
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2012 MT Eco had the same problem, which started in the low 20k miles range. It seemed intermittent and hard to duplicate, but was worst on the highway after a good warm up time of 50 miles or so. I spoke with a couple of dealerships that I know, and one said they had not heard of it and could not duplicate it. The second dealer I spoke with was about last Oct and at about 35k miles, and they said they knew about it and that Chevy suggests a steering rack replacement - and they recommended I let them change it before the 36k mile warranty expired. So I did that, and it was replaced. All was good for about 1k miles, and not it is worse than ever! This latest rack will jog to one side or the other nearly 1/4" at the worst, but usually less than that, with very slight attempts at corrections within a lane. I have been back to the dealer and they said they could not duplicate it, and suggested I keep an eye on it until I thought they could duplicate it. I now have another 1k miles on it, and it remains much less intermittent than the original rack, but I have not spent the time to get it warmed up on the highway to 50 miles or so and take it back in to show them. I do hope that Corporate Chevy solves the problem and comes up with a long term fix, as it is livable but rather (very!) annoying! I have not really looked, but Chevy has many other cars now with electric power steering, and I cannot believe that many truck owners will live with such an annoying thing. Otherwise, I like the car a lot and think Chevy did an outstanding job of making a great Eco package - much better than most typical "badge only" packages that are usual to all car manufacturers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
had that happen to me to took it to chevy they fixed it no question asked in Nampa id. cost them like 2000 In parts in labor just replaced something in the steering cause the mechanic didn't want to tear everything apart to find it. ill asl for some info on it next time I head into chevy

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 2012 MT Eco had the same problem, which started in the low 20k miles range. It seemed intermittent and hard to duplicate, but was worst on the highway after a good warm up time of 50 miles or so. I spoke with a couple of dealerships that I know, and one said they had not heard of it and could not duplicate it. The second dealer I spoke with was about last Oct and at about 35k miles, and they said they knew about it and that Chevy suggests a steering rack replacement - and they recommended I let them change it before the 36k mile warranty expired. So I did that, and it was replaced. All was good for about 1k miles, and now it is worse than ever! This latest rack will jog to one side or the other nearly 1/4" at the worst, but usually less than that, with very slight attempts at corrections within a lane. I have been back to the dealer and they said they could not duplicate it, and suggested I keep an eye on it until I thought they could duplicate it. I now have another 1k miles on it, and it remains much less intermittent than the original rack, but I have not spent the time to get it warmed up on the highway to 50 miles or so and take it back in to show them. I do hope that Corporate Chevy solves the problem and comes up with a long term fix, as it is livable but rather (very!) annoying!
I could have written your post. It is word for word what I am experiencing. My Cruze is worse than before the rack replacement, as well.
I have a couple of trade in deals for a new car in the works now. I really would like like to keep the Cruze since I do like the car but I don't see a fix in the future. Mine was so bad that my wife could feel the car lurch a bit when I had to correct the sticking steering.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. It shows up primarily on stretches of highway that don't require much steering input. It feels something like the detent on the radio dial. Mine is more noticeable when steering to the right, but can also be felt when correcting to the left. It seems like you have to apply a certain amount of steering pressure before the steering will respond. The subtle corrections made on a straight interstate don't reach that threshold. I reported it to the dealer when I had the car in for routine service, but they hadn't heard of the issue.

·
5,722 Posts
I have the same problem. It shows up primarily on stretches of highway that don't require much steering input. It feels something like the detent on the radio dial. Mine is more noticeable when steering to the right, but can also be felt when correcting to the left. It seems like you have to apply a certain amount of steering pressure before the steering will respond. The subtle corrections made on a straight interstate don't reach that threshold. I reported it to the dealer when I had the car in for routine service, but they hadn't heard of the issue.
Hello Oakdale Del,

I'm sorry that you are experiencing some steering issues with your vehicle. If you would like to have the dealership look into this concern and possibly find a resolution, I would be happy to assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, current mileage, contact info and a preferred dealership so I can look into this further. Thanks!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Resurrecting the dead here,

Up until 11/7/14 there was a PI calling for a 'Reflash' for this concern.
It was updated 11/10/14.

Power rack replacement is the called for repair.

Do not confuse this with a recall since a recall would create a situation where racks with no problem would get replaced.
Some, myself included, have had this happen and for no reason at all, dissappear......mine did it several times winter before last but as quick as it came, and only did it on occasion for a month or two, it went back to normal operation.

This pleased me because I really don't like disassembling major assemblys and finding the various things overlooked during the re-assembly process.......it happens, because we are all human.

Anyways, if you have the experience of 'stick/release' usually while making a lane correction, not a lane change, have your dealer look at the newest PI.

Rob

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,170 Posts
My notchy steering is back, so I'm back into doing research on this. Is there a new PI number or has PI1239 just been updated with new information? When I go in for my heater cord, I'm going to bring this up and want to have the right references so they can look it up and get it taken care of.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
My notchy steering is back, so I'm back into doing research on this. Is there a new PI number or has PI1239 just been updated with new information? When I go in for my heater cord, I'm going to bring this up and want to have the right references so they can look it up and get it taken care of.
They will have to look up the new PI....Steering bind/sticks.

Rob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone know if there is an actual fix for this yet?

I've had the rack replaced twice because of this, and this third rack just started to do the same thing yesterday (just hit 85K miles).

I still have an extended warranty for another 15K miles, but there is no way I'm going to shell out the $$ to replace the rack after the warranty is up.

I don't like to make hallow threats, but after purchasing 5 new GM vehicles and being very happy with them, this Cruze may be the last one I buy. I can accept fixing something once, but a third time is really pushing my patience. Gladly my dealer has been great, but come on GM, figure this electric power steering thing out soon.

·
5,722 Posts
Does anyone know if there is an actual fix for this yet?

I've had the rack replaced twice because of this, and this third rack just started to do the same thing yesterday (just hit 85K miles).

I still have an extended warranty for another 15K miles, but there is no way I'm going to shell out the $$ to replace the rack after the warranty is up.

I don't like to make hallow threats, but after purchasing 5 new GM vehicles and being very happy with them, this Cruze may be the last one I buy. I can accept fixing something once, but a third time is really pushing my patience. Gladly my dealer has been great, but come on GM, figure this electric power steering thing out soon.
Hi there,

We certainly recognize your concerns, and apologize for this. Please feel free to let me know if you need any additional assistance into the dealership to possibly discuss all avenues of assistance with them. Send me a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,170 Posts
I stopped into the dealer yesterday on my way home from work, since the steering was acting up pretty noticeably. The service adviser grabbed the tech for me--the same one who did the re-flash on the steering computer last winter and has gotten to know the car. They always give my car to the same guy since it's the only Cruze Diesel they service, and he did the research to learn how to service it properly--talk about attention to quality service! He went out for a quick drive with me and observed the problem himself (so the battle is already half won, since I won't have to worry about a "could not duplicate"). I have an appointment on Tuesday morning for him to do the formal diagnosis in the garage and go from there, and they're doing some research on the problem between now and then so they'll be ready to go to work on it.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Mainly happens during cold temperatures. I believe every Cruze will do this at some point in their lives, including Diesels. Good luck fixing it, steering rack replacement is installing the same part. I do believe a reflash is the proper repair but I don't think that GM has an actual fix for the problem. Mine hasn't started doing it yet this winter but I'm sure it will. It rocks when the roads are covered in snow. Only a matter of time before someone loses control due to the resistance in the wheel and gets killed. GM DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS. IT IS DEFINITELY RECALL WORTHY AND SUPER DANGEROUS.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.