Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my oil today after filling up the car, and I noticed that the oil level is at the bottom line above the cross hatches. I changed my oil about 1500 miles ago, and it was in the middle of the top cross hatch area. I didn't let it sit very long after driving it, so I think it has probably consumed about 1/2 - 3/4 quart.

I have actually seen my car burn oil since the very early days. Here is a post from when the car had less than 3k miles.
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-g...o-new-engines-burn-oil-do-i-have-problem.html

And here is one from last year
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/202490-oil-burning-hard-engine-braking.html

I decided to do a compression test this evening. All four cylinders were identical at 175 PSI. I also checked the PCV check valve again, and the little orange nipple is still there.

I followed the instructions in the service manual for doing a compression test. It says to remove the whole throttle body. The car only has 37K miles, but I expected a little carbon on the throttle plate. I was surprised to see that the throttle was spotless, like brand new. Virtually no carbon at all. But, it was completely covered in a thin film of clean oil. There was also a thin film of oil in the charge air hose and the intake manifold. I cleaned it as best as I could, installed a new intake o-ring and put it all back together.

There are no visible leaks anywhere and no sign of oil in the coolant. The car runs excellent. No hesitation. No misfires or skipping. No visible smoke out the back. No oil smells. Very good power and excellent acceleration. The only strange thing about this car is the oil consumption.

Any thoughts on what I should check next?

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Just because the PCV "looks right" doesn't necessarily mean it's not malfunctioning. if there's an oil film on the intake side, and no visible drops or other signs on the outside of the engine, you may have a turbo issue too ... and I'm sure you already did this, but double check to ensure the oil dipstick was pushed completely into the tube. I had what I thought was an issue at one point, but then came to realize that for some reason, there was a slight catch somewhere on my dipstick tube and it wasn't going in all the way. Then again ... 1/2-3/4 quart in nearly 2,000 miles depending upon how you drive the car isn't so bad. My GMC has a known issue with the left side valve cover that holds the PCV "fitting" (it's not an actual valve) and it used a quart nearly every 1k miles! I wasn't aware of that issue until I was about 2.5 quarts low and searched the web for possible problems, and that's where I found my answer. Replaced the valve cover with the updated version, problem solved. Thank God I was using full synthetic and didn't go on any long road trips before I found that out! Best of luck with your troubleshooting

Reactions: dhpnet

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Some engines will consume a bit of oil, some seem to use none at all.
Although mass produced, there are variances......something as simple as oil ring gap placement can cause a bit of usage.

Looks like you are seeing a pint or less (I think less) over a 1500 mile stretch so this could equate to a full quart over 3000 miles.
This is not considered consumption at a rate that would raise any eyebrows.

Over the years I have run across engines that would consume a certain brand of oil and a different brand would display no usage at all.
That one really throws me......like, what is different in the formulation that causes that?

The oil film you mention is SOP for a turbo engine.....just condensed blow by.

Your even compression numbers indicate a healthy engine......so healthy you wouldn't catch me disassembling it to see if I could pinpoint a cause of consumption, which, in this case, would be highly unlikely.

Personally, based on past experience, I see no cause for concern.........maybe change oil brands as a experiment.....but that is as far as I would go.

Rob

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,529 Posts
There are a couple check valve (besides the orange one) in the corrugated hose that wraps around the head. Pull off the turbo air intake hose - is there tons of oil coming into the port on the side there? Is the area under the throttle body wet with oil?

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your thoughts on this. It's pretty cool to have some of the forum's top gearheads respond.

I checked the oil first thing this morning while the car was still cold. The oil level was on the bottom line above the hash marks. I added 24 ounces of oil to get it to the same level that it was at after I changed the oil.

There was no oil dripping under the throttle body, but the hose clamp was covered in dirty oil. I have had oil dripping below the TB before and I had to clean it. But it wasn't very bad yesterday when I removed it to do the compression test.

I decided to replace the corrugated hose today in case the valve in the hose has something wrong with it. There was some oil in the hose and there is a thick brown streak of oil going into the turbo inlet. I don't know how much is normal. I cleaned up the oil and cleaned the orange nipple in the intake.

I am thinking about switching to Amsoil at the next oil change to see if it makes any difference with oil consumption. XR makes a pretty good case for Amsoil.

After the power train warranty is up, I will install XR's PCV valve fix.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
@dhpnet you take good care of Libby. Put her back up for COTM soon, we’ll get ‘er done!

Reactions: Tomko and dhpnet

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,529 Posts
Yeah, the presence of that much oil at the throttle body suggests the PCV system (or perhaps the turbo seals themselves) are your oil consumption culprit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the presence of that much oil at the throttle body suggests the PCV system (or perhaps the turbo seals themselves) are your oil consumption culprit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Maybe I will install XR's PCV fix soon and see what happens. Wouldn't turbo seals produce some visible smoke? I thought the seals also leak into the exhaust when they are bad. I haven't seen any smoke, but I haven't had anyone follow me to check either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.