Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A photo is worth a thousand words.

View attachment 93474

Dealer won't replace them because he says they are functional, can imagine that lever breaking off in the next year or two. Then would really be screwed. Looked at other used vehicles like the Malibu and Impala of the 2012 vintage, nicely plated, and even are the 2014 Cruzes. Did spot one other 2012 Cruze. Some kind of black oxide, but nothing as bad as what mine are. Even my 04 Cavalier was well plated, what happened with this Cruze?

What do you reps think about this? Would you want these in your car where your life depends upon them?

Leaving a very negative feeling with this guy.

Oh and still having this mysterious problem where the brake pedal goes clear to the floor, but not all the time. Other times, getting a full pedal.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
My old car was 13 years old with 250,000km on the clock when I sold it and the rear discs were in much better condition than that. If my brakes looked like that while still under warranty I would take it to a RTA inspection station and would most likely get a defect notice and the dealer would have no choice but to repair them to as new condition to pass inspection and have the defect notice cleared.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ha, where are the reps at? Certainly a hazard and still covered under warranty, could spend a couple of hundred bucks and replace the calipers myself and even paint them pink.

I am suspecting part #20 on this exploded view as a very suspect culprit as rusty as these things are, can be binding causing this erratic operation. But what do I know, only a dumb customer and not an expert mechanic.

View attachment 93553

Matter of fact, the more I think about it, the calipers are the problem, piston does have a mm of play in it so you can remove the pads if you have a ridge on the rotor. With rust, that piston can vibrate back leaving a mm gap in the pads to the rotor. That would INDUBITABLY, cause this low pedal problem. Wish they would quit horsing around and replace these calipers with the new plated kind. Should have been plated in the first place.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Oh and still having this mysterious problem where the brake pedal goes clear to the floor, but not all the time. Other times, getting a full pedal.
This doesn't happen to be related to the brake assist recall from a year or more ago, does it? That's exactly how the pedal on my '11 felt the one or two times I experienced that fun. It would only happen on cold startup. After revving the engine, problem solved.

As for the rust, it doesn't look dangerous...yet. That said, I have a 5 year old Subaru that's spent every winter of its life in salty Minnesota that has less rust than that on the brakes.

I'm so glad I finally moved out of the salty Midwestern winters. I hated seeing salted roads with a passion I can't describe. Unfortunately, my CTD still got one salty winter under its belt, but from what I can tell it's rust free except a bit of surface rust on the exhaust pipe and a bit on the rear brake rotors.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ten year old calipers on he Cavalier look like new yet, but what does this have to do with the Cruze. Several factors are involved. Metal piston in a rusty caliper, rust clear around the piston boot, can't expect that to seal. Piston can be depressed one millimeter to permit removal of the pads if someone leaves it long enough to get a ridge around the edge of the rotor.

Play in the hub bearings and shove that piston in leaving a gap that would cause the pedal to go the floor. Augmented by rust in the bore. Or just normal vibration. Seems so obvious to me that badly rusted calipers are the problem, and have failed to find one yet where there isn't internal rust as well besides external rust.

Saw another 2012 Cruze, least they attempted to paint the darn thing black, these are raw, other GM cars have plated calipers and no rust at all.

Going into my dealer again this morning, and will respectably request to speak to GM myself on this issue. Just send this piece of crap back to China and tell that vendor to plate them.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Experts at GM conclusion is that entire vacuum line between the intake manifold and brake booster including the vacuum pump switch/valve is causing this low brake pedal problem. Saw this assembly yesterday.

The major difference between this new one is all neoprene hoses are used with plastic fittings, where the one in there is using half plastic hoses with integrated fittings. Claim the rusty calipers is not the problem and won't replace them.

They are to install this new line in this Tuesday. Time will tell if this will solve this problem. Experienced low brake pedal again last night. Guess I will have to wait to see if this solves this problem.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
A photo is worth a thousand words.

View attachment 93474

Dealer won't replace them because he says they are functional, can imagine that lever breaking off in the next year or two. Then would really be screwed. Looked at other used vehicles like the Malibu and Impala of the 2012 vintage, nicely plated, and even are the 2014 Cruzes. Did spot one other 2012 Cruze. Some kind of black oxide, but nothing as bad as what mine are. Even my 04 Cavalier was well plated, what happened with this Cruze?

What do you reps think about this? Would you want these in your car where your life depends upon them?

Leaving a very negative feeling with this guy.

I have the same trouble with rust, im gonna paint them or powder coat them soon.

Btw i saw a 120000$ Tesla model S with the rear calipers rusted too...

·
10,712 Posts
This doesn't happen to be related to the brake assist recall from a year or more ago, does it? That's exactly how the pedal on my '11 felt the one or two times I experienced that fun. It would only happen on cold startup. After revving the engine, problem solved.

As for the rust, it doesn't look dangerous...yet. That said, I have a 5 year old Subaru that's spent every winter of its life in salty Minnesota that has less rust than that on the brakes.

I'm so glad I finally moved out of the salty Midwestern winters. I hated seeing salted roads with a passion I can't describe. Unfortunately, my CTD still got one salty winter under its belt, but from what I can tell it's rust free except a bit of surface rust on the exhaust pipe and a bit on the rear brake rotors.
Yeah my Legacy only had the rust on the rotors. Calipers were fine but I painted them before the 1st Virginia snow. The original owner got the car in ATL and got stationed in VA. Car came back to Ohio and has been here since 09.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Certainly an ongoing battle between auto manufacturers and the government, in particular using calcium chloride for snow removal causing excess vehicle corrosion. This is just one article on this subject.

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/sr/sr235/031-046.pdf

Heard on the news last night that Subaru is recalling 70,000 vehicle due to road salt damage to hydraulic brake lines. Said would cause fluid leaks that MAY cause extended stopping distances. Ha. laughed when I heard this, like a half a mile.

The front calipers in my Cruze look okay, the cheap easy to replace ones. Already discussing spending money to do something with these rears ones. Or told my wife, not completely aware of our liability laws, to sue GM for a billion dollars if I get killed due to rusty calipers.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Wow that's terrible , you do a lot of driving in rain ? I just finished lubing up my coilovers again and did a light coat on my callipers with white lithium , not a single spot of Rust on my Cruze maybe try some out it'll help contain the rust

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you GM for at least plating my front calipers, little dull now due to a coating of brake dust, but 100% rust free. But do wish the rear calipers were plated instead of the fronts, far more difficult to replace and far more expensive.

But feel I have to go along with they are not the problem, been checking the gap between the rotors and pads, can't even squeeze a finger nail in there. And zero axial play. Getting a constant half pedal now, so is getting worse, whatever the problem is.

Will learn Tuesday if a new vacuum booster hose assembly corrects this.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts