Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Still have Battery Light

2173 Views 11 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  techpatk
I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze. I just gave it to my son. It has 62000 miles on it. It seems that after I handed him the keys the car has nothing but issues. The battery light came on. I put the larger diesel 94R battery in. I replaced the alternator twice. I bought the alternator from Amazon but it was AC Delco new. Even came in a gm parts box and the original tape had not been cut. I replaced the negative battery cable AC Delco new. I also replaced the sensor that the negative battery goes thru AC Delco new. The display shows the battery is charging at 13.6v my next step is to take it to the dealer. Any help would be appreciated.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,259 Posts
The display shows the battery is charging at 13.6v
The output of the alternator is controlled by the BCM/ECM and it isn't a set value (ie 14.4V) like the old days. That said 13.6V sounds low, after starting it should read about 14.5V for a while.
All the stuff you did was good and would have normally fixed any issue. Have you checked the fuses in the battery box?
I could try helping, but you need access to a multimeter.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You for your reply. I replaced the 5 amp fuse #69 also. I saw that on a YouTube video. I gave up and I made an appt at a Chevy dealer to have it looked at. So if the voltage is controlled by the ECM and/or BCM, that means one or both of those could be bad? Thanks again for replying. I appreciate it.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt it. Normally they are very reliable. But if you have major wiring issues or someone messed up jump starting the car, it can happen. Corroded connectors on the ECM is more likely.
Thanks again for your reply. I know it hasn’t been jump started yet. I’m a little anal when it comes to maintenance. I was the origanal owner since 2012. It was almost like the car was mad at me for giving it to my son. Lol. I’m sure anything is possible at this point. I do appreciate the time replying back to me.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for your reply. I know it hasn’t been jump started yet. I’m a little anal when it comes to maintenance. I was the origanal owner since 2012. It was almost like the car was mad at me for giving it to my son. Lol. I’m sure anything is possible at this point. I do appreciate the time replying back to me.
Well I went to the dealer on 2/21/22 and they said it was the alternator. I asked if the service guy if he was sure after I had already explained everything we already did. He said he was sure. So after I took it in the shorts having the dealer replace the alternator, last night my son called me and the battery light is on again. 3 bad alternator… it’s a pattern. The voltage on the display was 13.7 I will keep everyone updated after the dealer looks at on 3/7/22.

· Registered
1 Posts
Mine is also showing ~13.6 while driving, with a battery light. I have a new alternator and battery too. Now I’m sitting in my driveway idling and battery light went off, it hit 14.7, then battery light, 13.4, battery light goes off again, 14.7, goes up to 15, 15.1, battery light back to 13.6

let me know if you figure anything out please

· Registered
1,259 Posts
3 bad alternator… it’s a pattern
Did they check the wiring to the ECM and especially the pin connector at the ECM? Like I said earlier the BCM is also involved in controlling the alternator output, but the ECM wiring is the weak link.

Here comes a truth bomb, alternators are 100% testable. And I would bet NONE of those replacement alternators went bad. Batteries are 100% testable. How the alternator output responds to different inputs is very predictable, at least to anyone with a few hours of training on a GM charging system. But here is the rub, wiring issues can be pretty hard to find and sometimes a little luck isn't bad either. I also include grounding issues as a wiring issues. I have seen alternators lose their ground on these cars, its a very rare and odd issue.

And that is it, the whole system. So what would a good tech due? Spend time chasing down a wiring problem, or just keep installing new alternators like a monkey. BTW replacing an alternator is so easy a child could do it. I hope they are not charging you for their ignorance.😕

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m on my 5th alternator. So, the dealer is blaming my Denso Iridium plugs and my NGK Ignition Coil. So they are replacing that with GM OEM plugs and Ignition Coil. The car should be done tmaro. I will post if what the result is.
Did they check the wiring to the ECM and especially the pin connector at the ECM? Like I said earlier the BCM is also involved in controlling the alternator output, but the ECM wiring is the weak link.

Here comes a truth bomb, alternators are 100% testable. And I would bet NONE of those replacement alternators went bad. Batteries are 100% testable. How the alternator output responds to different inputs is very predictable, at least to anyone with a few hours of training on a GM charging system. But here is the rub, wiring issues can be pretty hard to find and sometimes a little luck isn't bad either. I also include grounding issues as a wiring issues. I have seen alternators lose their ground on these cars, its a very rare and odd issue.

And that is it, the whole system. So what would a good tech due? Spend time chasing down a wiring problem, or just keep installing new alternators like a monkey. BTW replacing an alternator is so easy a child could do it. I hope they are not charging you for their ignorance.😕
Thanks for the info. I replaced the alternator once myself during this ordeal. It was simple. On your other forum answers, I printed out all the advice you gave regarding this issue and gave it to them. I told them to check those items. They told me they did. So if it makes it past 14 days, I will let you know. I have a bad feeling I will be back. Let’s hope for the best. Have you ever heard of spark plugs or ignition coil causing these alternators to go bad. I feel like it’s a line of crap. But I will post again if things are good or if things are still bad.

· Registered
1,259 Posts
Good grief Charlie Brown. Dude, it is terrible you are going through this. I personally hate suffering from other peoples ignorance.
No chance its the coil. The only way it could be the plugs is if you put in a non-resistor type.

Arrrg, I'll bet you right now when this fails them. And it will. They will blame the ECM next.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good grief Charlie Brown. Dude, it is terrible you are going through this. I personally hate suffering from other peoples ignorance.
No chance its the coil. The only way it could be the plugs is if you put in a non-resistor type.

Arrrg, I'll bet you right now when this fails them. And it will. They will blame the ECM next.
Well everyone, it’s been a little over 2 months since my last weekly visit to the dealer. They changed out my Denso Iridium plugs and my NGK Coil with Dealer installed original parts. My soN hasn’t had an issue since. I thought for sure the dealer was full of it. Not one issue so far. It blows my mind. Either they fixed the real problem and didn’t tell me and covered it up with plugs and coils, or that’s what really happened. I guess you learn something new every day. Thanks again for all the help and assistance with my issue. I appreciate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.