Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Still having turbo issues with brand new turbo

418 15
Installed new factory turbo, smoke tested all good to go, or so I thought. Drove it and engine light came on... same P0299 code. Someone said to replace turbo boost sensor. Replaced it, code went away but still lacked boost and poor mpg showing real time on dash while going uphill like 8-11mpg, code then came back after driving 96miles. Car runs fine no sounds coming from engine, no issues while idling. What else should I look at? Why would this happen after installing a brand new turbo? What else could the problem be? Thanks for any of the help and advice.

2014 Cruze LTZ 71k miles
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sensor isn't oem, orginal was Bosch, got the new one from autozone, Duralast. Would that matter?
Whats the best way to check for leaks and where/what should I check for? Mechanic did all the work with troubleshooting and install. I'm mechanically inclined but don't know a thing about cars, I'm an industrial electrician. Thanks again for any input and help.

·
The Nuclear Option
5,724 Posts
The sensor isn't oem, orginal was Bosch, got the new one from autozone, Duralast. Would that matter?
Yes. Aftermarket electrical parts are often inferior to what was installed by OEM.

However the MAP sensor is NOT the Boost sensor....

The MAP is in the intake. The Boost sensor is in the upper charge pipe.

Also, What's a Cruze ESV?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced the turbo boost sensor. Would a non OEM turbo boost sensor potentially be responsible for the lack of boost?

LTZ*, ESV was thinking about my Escalade.

Any other suggestions other than possible leaks? Any other sensors that may be attributing to the issue. Where should I check for leaks, are there certain typical points of failure? Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Cruze Limited LT 1.4T
53 Posts
I replaced the turbo boost sensor. Would a non OEM turbo boost sensor potentially be responsible for the lack of boost?

LTZ*, ESV was thinking about my Escalade.

Any other suggestions other than possible leaks? Any other sensors that may be attributing to the issue. Where should I check for leaks, are there certain typical points of failure? Thanks
Always use OEM sensors, from experience, especially with Chevy and MOPAR… that’s one of the few things you don’t wanna go aftermarket on. Hopefully it’s something this simple!

·
The Nuclear Option
5,724 Posts
Just purchased OEM turbo boost sensor, should get here by Wednesday. Any additional suggestions? Thanks
Did anybody explore egr and pcv check valve to see if that is the cause of low boost?
A 1.4L LUJ/LUV does not have EGR. The PCV check valves will not cause low boost condition and still allow the engine to fine as described by the OP. Boost is commanded and controlled by the ECM. P0299 set when commanded boost is less than actual boost within a given time period. There are three ways that can happen. Either the ECM is not receiving a correct boost pressure reading, enough boost isn't being produced, or enough boost is being produced but it is bleeding off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got a new PCV valve and assembly. When I got it back the 1st time I was driving home and the 90 had a hairline crack and was spraying coolant everywhere. This thing has been one after the next. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A 1.4L LUJ/LUV does not have EGR. The PCV check valves will not cause low boost condition and still allow the engine to fine as described by the OP. Boost is commanded and controlled by the ECM. P0299 set when commanded boost is less than actual boost within a given time period. There are three ways that can happen. Either the ECM is not receiving a correct boost pressure reading, enough boost isn't being produced, or enough boost is being produced but it is bleeding off.
The ECM not receiving a correct boost pressure reading would occur when the turbo boost sensor isn't reading correctly? Any other situations on why that may occur? Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
2015 CTD
498 Posts
Is the waste gate adjustable

·
The Nuclear Option
5,724 Posts
The ECM not receiving a correct boost pressure reading would occur when the turbo boost sensor isn't reading correctly? Any other situations on why that may occur? Thanks a lot.
Yes. The ECM controls everything based on the inputs it receives. If that information is inaccurate it will cause issues. If that information is out of specification, that will also cause issues.

If you don't fully understand how the system works, I recommend that you take the vehicle to someone who does and have them repair it. That way if they misdiagnose the issue and replace the wrong part it's there issue instead of yours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the new OEM turbo boost sensor looks like it may have fixed the problem. The readings are definitely more accurate as they were prior to all of these issues and boost seems back to normal. Thanks everyone.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,986 Posts
Installed new factory turbo, smoke tested all good to go, or so I thought. Drove it and engine light came on... same P0299 code. Someone said to replace turbo boost sensor. Replaced it, code went away but still lacked boost and poor mpg showing real time on dash while going uphill like 8-11mpg, code then came back after driving 96miles. Car runs fine no sounds coming from engine, no issues while idling. What else should I look at? Why would this happen after installing a brand new turbo? What else could the problem be? Thanks for any of the help and advice.

2014 Cruze LTZ 71k miles
Potential causes of a P0299 turbo underboost code include:

Intake (induction) air restriction or leak
Failed or damaged turbocharger (sticking, binding, etc.)
Faulty boost/charge pressure sensor
Read more at: P0299 Turbocharger/Supercharger A Underboost Condition

Do a boost leak test and also check your wastegate for correct operation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts