Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on better but still reliable alternatives? The stock ones are obviously 100% reliable, but I can't see shxt! I remember back in the day changing to a brighter bulb (like a Sylvania SilverStar) would drastically shorten the life of the bulb... and performance of 1 good + 1 burnt out bulb is still worse than 2 bad bulbs... So Reliable and easy to install is very important too!

Any advice!? Car is a stock Canadian (DRL) 2017 Cruze LT with no fog lights.

They're so bad I almost think they're just my DRL's! LOL! But they're not...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Any suggestions on better but still reliable alternatives? The stock ones are obviously 100% reliable, but I can't see shxt! I remember back in the day changing to a brighter bulb (like a Sylvania SilverStar) would drastically shorten the life of the bulb... and performance of 1 good + 1 burnt out bulb is still worse than 2 bad bulbs... So Reliable and easy to install is very important too!

Any advice!? Car is a stock Canadian (DRL) 2017 Cruze LT with no fog lights.

They're so bad I almost think they're just my DRL's! LOL! But they're not...
Have you had the aim checked? Maybe a couple turns of the aiming screws will help, and maybe save you from buying new bulbs.

Doug

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Stocks works just fine. I see no need to buy after market brights.

Either you need your eyes checked or your headlight aim is off. :wink:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'd do what others said and check your aim. My 2014 was aimed super low from the factory. I have also had good success with the Silvania Silver Star Ultra bulbs. I have tried several bulbs, and the Silver Star Ultra have been noticibly brighter than the rest.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
8 Posts
How do you guys check your headlight aim point? I don't have a good wall to point at, so I just turn the screws until people start flashing their high beams at me, then I turn the screw a quarter turn back the other way. Maybe there's a better way...

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,304 Posts
I have Phillips CrystalVision in mine. Brighter, and the tint matches the LED strip a little better. But properly aimed (my first gen Cruze was way low), the headlights in both have been great. The projectors have a slightly different pattern than your typical halogen/reflector headlights you might be used to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd do what others said and check your aim. My 2014 was aimed super low from the factory. I have also had good success with the Silvania Silver Star Ultra bulbs. I have tried several bulbs, and the Silver Star Ultra have been noticibly brighter than the rest.
Does anybody know of the proper headlight aiming procedures/measurements? Usually something like, while on level ground, park your front bumper X ft from a solid wall. The center of the low beam spot on the wall should be Y inches off the ground.? ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The projectors have a slightly different pattern than your typical halogen/reflector headlights you might be used to.
I think this might be it. My last 3 cars (8 years) have had projectors. (I think that's what they're called. Either way they look different from my Cruze, what I'd call the old fashioned style of light)

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,304 Posts
I think this might be it. My last 3 cars (8 years) have had projectors. (I think that's what they're called. Either way they look different from my Cruze, what I'd call the old fashioned style of light)
What model do you have?

LS have good old reflector halogen lights - I haven't driven one.
LT/Premier have a single bulb in a projector with a shade that moves for the high/low-beam cutoff.

Basically this - close to wall, mark center of lights. Back up 25 ft from a wall, adjust brightest part of beam at or below center line you marked. For my Gen 1 Cruze, it took ~ 1.5-2 turns of the adjuster.:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a257/how-to-adjust-lights/

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Where are your lights deficient?

Set your aim as mentioned. Find a shop with an actual headlight aiming machine, that knows how to use it, and doesn't question why you want them aimed.(meaning doesn't act as if headlights don't need to be aimed)
Setting your aim to level or just below level at 25' will most likely end up blinding people. The spec is 4" down at 33ft, and an optical aiming machine is best bet.

9011/HIR1 is a more efficient, higher lumen output bulb that is electrically and optically focus the same as the stock 9005SL. There is a minor trimming mod need to the bulb, accomplished with household items, the pattern the trimming needed can be found with a simple Google search. (9005 to 9011 conversion images)

·
Registered
21 Posts
My mom was riding home one evening with my stepdad after having dinner and a few drinks. She couldn't figure out why the headlights hardly lit anything up. Took her a couple of minutes to realize she was wearing her sunglasses.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anybody ever try any of the LED bulbs that I keep getting bombarded with in my searches?
yes, I am currently using beamtech led on my first gen and they work great, although the beam pattern is slightly different from stock, still they have the best beam pattern from others that I have tested, and they were only $30.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Basically this - close to wall, mark center of lights. Back up 25 ft from a wall, adjust brightest part of beam at or below center line you marked.
The brightest part of the beam or the vertical cutoff of the low beam?

When I bought some E-Code Hellas back in the 1980s, the instructions said to measure the height of the cutoff at point blank range and then set it lower (I forget how much lower, think maybe 1/4") at 25'.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Aiming is done with the top of the cutoff of the low beam. It should be 10cm lower than the center of the projector with the projectors 10m from the measuring wall.
(~4" down at 33')

1 - 19 of 19 Posts