Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
mark you need to be more specific. the cruze has a 2.0 turbo variable nozzle turbo and the 1.4 gas uses a different turbo if im remembering correctly

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know I need to be specific when I posted under the 1.4L Turbo section? So to make you feel better. The stock turbocharger on a 2014 Chevy Cruze 1.4L Turbo with Automatic Transmission.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Well i see we got another member with attitude. yes its in the 1.4 section but there are other turbos here. i could have looked um up for ya but nah im good

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Typical spec for a turbo is horsepower, which I suppose could be back calculated for a rough airflow number.

I believe that max Horsepower of the 1.4L turbo is unknown to most of us, the computer will bleed off the charge air beyond 16 lb of boost.

I would be more interested to find out much boost the stock turbo would safely make across the RPM band without the ECU messing with airflow.

For example my ECO has a peak torque at 1850 RPM compared to other models of 2500 RPM, Horsepower is limited to 138 @ 4900 RPM for all models with the 1.4L.

Going beyond 138 HP which requires a tune and some modifications, however it seems that people tend to upgrade the turbo to get past the 180 HP wall. (might be lower)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Typical spec for a turbo is horsepower, which I suppose could be back calculated for a rough airflow number.

I believe that max Horsepower of the 1.4L turbo is unknown to most of us, the computer will bleed off the charge air beyond 16 lb of boost.

I would be more interested to find out much boost the stock turbo would safely make across the RPM band without the ECU messing with airflow.

For example my ECO has a peak torque at 1850 RPM compared to other models of 2500 RPM, Horsepower is limited to 138 @ 4900 RPM for all models with the 1.4L.

Going beyond 138 HP which requires a tune and some modifications, however it seems that people tend to upgrade the turbo to get past the 180 HP wall. (might be lower)
Boost is resistance, so you could have the same amount of airflow at two different boost levels depending on modifications. So that is the reason I look for airflow. And also just curious to compare what max airflow of the turbo is compared to what airflow I am running. To see how much boost is really left in the turbo. And just was wondering, if someone did the research to find out the technical data for the stock turbos. To know max boost pressure, max airflow, max power. Thank you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So Vermont Tuning is claiming that the Stock Turbocharger will only flow a maximum of 18.5lb/min.

Which I know the turbocharger can do more than that.

They might be claiming that one: to get people sold on their upgraded turbocharger and two: the turbocharger is way out of it's efficient zone at that airflow.

So the turbocharger should be easy able to hit 20lb/min.

So if anybody has personally seen more than 20lb/min on stock turbocharger. I would appreciate if you post letting me know.

Thank you

And ssnscruzeeco2015 the stock turbocharger is capable of pushing past 16psi of boost pressure, my personal car is pushing 20psi of boost from 3800-6500rpms. Which at 3800rpms its 16lb/min(20psi) and at 6500rpms it 19.5lb/min(20psi).

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Any data on bottom end boost capacity, between 1200 and 3800, that is where my car spends 99 per cent of its time at? In particular if I can stay in 6th and just increase boost to overcome a few more hills. I have nearly 40000 km of stock data collected. The ECO is already as efficient as GM can tolerate, now my goal is to see how much farther I can take bottom end boost and my FE.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any data on bottom end boost capacity, between 1200 and 3800, that is where my car spends 99 per cent of its time at? In particular if I can stay in 6th and just increase boost to overcome a few more hills. I have nearly 40000 km of stock data collected. The ECO is already as efficient as GM can tolerate, now my goal is to see how much farther I can take bottom end boost and my FE.
I am honestly not if that is a question or just a statement. Honestly not understanding what your saying. But if you are looking to get as much boost as boost below 3800? Then you will need to do some cam tuning to reduce overlap as much as possible to spool the turbo as fast as you can in low end. You could also advance both cams in low rpm to gain more low end power.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is the Stock Turbo limited to 15 psi. You get about 1 lb/min per 1 psi of boost. So at 14 psi you are at 14 lb/min flow.
Assuming it continues to go up linearly you would get 18 lb/min at 18 psi and 20 lb/min at 20 psi at 5000 RPM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.