Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my car last Saturday, 13' Cruze Eco auto w/3500 miles. All week I've noticed when I'm stopped (after it has warmed up), that that it jumps with my foot solid on the brake. I've read several things on the forum and googled it and see that many other people have this too. Some have had 4 clutches replaced, PVC valve, etc, but no one has followed up other than describing and complaining about the issue, even after the 'fix'.

So, the question is, is this just normal? No codes or anything, no fixes or follow ups. I'm going to contact the dealer, but would really like to know what's going on ahead of time so I can talk frankly w/them.

And to be honest, today while going through 1 of the 17 lights I travel to work my foot slipped off the brake pedal because my shoe was wet due to rain and the 'bump' happened at the exact same time and I thought I was going to rearend the car in front of me because the whole car surged.

Any help and/or experience would be greatly appreciated because this is super frustrating and time is of the essence because I may still be able to return the car, but don't want to make waves if I don't have to.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Its not normal at all. Put the trans in manual range and see if it does it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did, it does not, I forgot to mention that during all my experiments and reading the past couple days.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Its the trans issue than they need to replace the clutches

·
Registered
252 Posts
It sounds like what you're feeling is the transmission shift into neutral, and shift into gear as soon as you lift your foot off the brake. What happens when you're at a stop light and sitting with your foot on the brake is the trans shifts into neutral to save on fuel. If you switch it to manual mode and keep it in 1st gear it'll eliminate the surge completely cause it doesn't shift into neutral. It's normal and it's just something I've gotten used to on my Cruze.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also just looked and my build date is 03/13 so it doesn't seem like it falls with in the range. Ugggg...I hate the unknowing and 'what to do next or just leave it' decisions.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like what you're feeling is the transmission shift into neutral, and shift into gear as soon as you lift your foot off the brake. What happens when you're at a stop light and sitting with your foot on the brake is the trans shifts into neutral to save on fuel. If you switch it to manual mode and keep it in 1st gear it'll eliminate the surge completely cause it doesn't shift into neutral. It's normal and it's just something I've gotten used to on my Cruze.
So at a long light with my foot firmly on the brake, it will just keep bumping? I can understand 1 bump maybe for it to work it's magic, but I'm talking like 6 or 7 bumps at the same stop with not letting up on the brake at all.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Just leave it as this is how it works. If you don't creep at lights you will not even notice this. keep your foot on the brake until your actually ready to move, then let off and ease back into the gas. Like mentioned above in manual mode this doesn't occur as the trans doesn't shift to neutral at stops then.

EDIT: just seen your response, it should not continually do this.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The car has a problem.The neutral feature is virtually UN noticeable.Because it does not fall in the vin or build range means nothing

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great....I'm going to call my salesman and see about returning it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Have them fix it should be no big deal !

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know, I'm just angry and don't like having tranny issues. I got burned big time on a Chrysler 300 I bought new w/the dealership and trans issues which cost me a lot of money and stress before I traded it off. I just hate the idea of them selling it that way because I even talked to the salesman during the test drive and he blew it off and said it's suppose to act that way. I've also been having problems w/the Bluetooth button not working right unless I push it only on the upper left side on the steering wheel control and the stereo buttons not working just right either on the steering wheel, unless that's just the way they are. We've had such good luck w/our 08 Malibu ls we bought new, even being the 1st year model and have 120,000 on it and had 0 issues. I guess it's just disappointing...and I hate that even on the little things.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Both things would be covered under the 3year/36,000 mile warranty. Any future transmission issues would also be covered by the 5year/100,000 mile warranty.

Test drive another cruze and see how it behaves. THe first 3,000 miles my 2012 auto trans did some strange things, but smoothed out after that.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
give me the vin and i can run it and see if it had any issues. Before you got it

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi bulldog,

We're sorry to hear this and we can definitely understand how frustrating your new vehicle jumping can be. We would like to look further into this concern for you. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name if we can help with this concern. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went by the dealer and they want me to drive it a while to see if it's learning my driving style. They said they've only done 1 clutch pack change in all the cars they've done and that it didn't really help it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If they think that they should have performed the learning procedure.Its covered under warranty.At my dealer we have fixed maybe 3 or 4 for clutch pack issues.I don't think this problem is going to learn it self out at this point

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
For whatever it is worth, my dealer has had several with this issue.....it will not go away.
Every unit they have exchanged the clutch pack in was a successful repair.

Rob

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still haven't been able to take a tech for a ride, but did do a lot of city driving today. One observation is that my car doesn't do it every time I stop. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's really jerky sometimes it just a faint bump, other times nothing at all. It's weird. Does anyone know why/how changing the clutch pack fixes this? Just curious if this is hurting anything internally or not the longer I wait or if it's really worth having done at all. I just started my new admin job two weeks ago w/8-5 hours so it's going to be very difficult to get the car in for service at the moment.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts