Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
I would love to straight pipe my CTD, but am not completely sure what all I must do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
you would have to rewrite the program first so the computer ignores the dpf an the scr, without that you would not keep it running. the diesel already has no muffler an the exhaust system is fairly large for the size of motor.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
So, is it possible? What does it take? Is it even worth it?
Would it be worth it? YES! The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is very restrictive and the jury is still out about how much of a maintenance issue it could become. They are not cheap to replace. From what I have heard those that have removed them on other diesel vehicles have had good power and MPG gains.

The trouble is finding an outfit that can and will re-flash your ECM to not put you into limp mode without it. While you are there may as well take care of the EGR and DEF too.

Not sure who if anybody can re-flash for this at this time? It has become a touchy area with the EPA in the US.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, is it possible? What does it take? Is it even worth it?
Would it be worth it? YES! The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is very restrictive and the jury is still out about how much of a maintenance issue it could become. They are not cheap to replace. From what I have heard those that have removed them on other diesel vehicles have had good power and MPG gains.

The trouble is finding an outfit that can and will re-flash your ECM to not put you into limp mode without it. While you are there may as well take care of the EGR and DEF too.

Not sure who if anybody can re-flash for this at this time? It has become a touchy area with the EPA in the US.

I would love to do it. Just have to find someone to do it!

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Guys,

Please don't remove your particulate filter. Remember what its like to be behind a diesel truck or bus. It's there for a reason and that reason is to help keep our air cleaner.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Guys,

Please don't remove your particulate filter. Remember what its like to be behind a diesel truck or bus. It's there for a reason and that reason is to help keep our air cleaner.
I live in the sticks and I work in an underground mine that runs mechanical injected diesel engines in confined spaces. I get to breath the sooty sh*t all day at work. When someone cares enough to make them slap on EFI and a DPF, I may re-consider my standing on the matter. When tuned properly these modern direct injected diesels should not spew black smoke like so many of those modded trucks you see. With ULSD the smell that you are thinking of is not an issue like it used to be.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I live in the sticks and I work in an underground mine that runs mechanical injected diesel engines in confined spaces. I get to breath the sooty sh*t all day at work. When someone cares enough to make them slap on EFI and a DPF, I may re-consider my standing on the matter. When tuned properly these modern direct injected diesels should not spew black smoke like so many of those modded trucks you see. With ULSD the smell that you are thinking of is not an issue like it used to be.
you guys use underground diesel?

we did for awhile, then they decided regular dyed diesel is fine, lol.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Guys,

our trucks with 15l detroits were fitted with delete kits last week

we are 100% off road, so its legal.

there is no visible smoke.

its straight pipe right off the turbo, sounds sexy as fudge

cant tell if any improvement in power....was done to eliminate all the downtime....theyre all 2010's and have lotsa def/dpf breakdowns.

besides Jesus will clean the pollution, all it takes is prayers

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
you guys use underground diesel?

we did for awhile, then they decided regular dyed diesel is fine, lol.
I believe they at least use regular highway grade ULSD. It is not dyed.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Only post if you can help with my question. I am not really seeking your opinion about the topic. Thanks anyway!
I have read that EFI Live has unlocked our E47 PCM and for non-USA customers it may be possible to get the programming to do a DPF removal.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Only post if you can help with my question. I am not really seeking your opinion about the topic. Thanks anyway!
Always a great thing to tell a mod... lol. Besides that it would most likely be a custom build idea. Maybe look into some diesel performance shops if there are any in your area. They may be your best bet for the fab, deletes and potential tunning. Make some calls you'd be surprised what you .a come up with. Let us know!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Always a great thing to tell a mod... lol. Besides that it would most likely be a custom build idea. Maybe look into some diesel performance shops if there are any in your area. They may be your best bet for the fab, deletes and potential tunning. Make some calls you'd be surprised what you .a come up with. Let us know!
Awesome! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
dunno how sophisticated the cruze is

on our trucks, the computer senses that the def level hasnt changed in so many hours of running, throws a code.

so the delete kit includes programming that tells the computer the def level goes down then up then down, etc..

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I'm hoping you figure out how to do this without bypassing the emissions control systems. In enhanced emissions control areas in the US bypassing these systems is grounds for immediate emissions test fail, regardless of the actual tail pipe test results. In fact you won't even get to the tail pipe test under these conditions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts