Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, yesterday I interrupted a regen like I always have and didn't think anything of it. It ended up at 15 grams. I fully expected it to resume like it always has, but it did not. This has never happened before. It's always resumed. So I became concerned. It ended up going back to 19 like it always does, then it kept going until it was at zero. Usually it stops at 3 grams. Actually it was on for almost 3 minutes at 0 grams.

Any of this happen to any other diesel people with a monitor?

Here's a video I made of the last of the regen with some commentary:

https://youtu.be/LO5knlEe0ss

Reactions: GlennGlenn

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I have only known to interrupt a regen once or twice, when I did it might have been at 7 grams then when I stopped it jumped to 13 or something when I start the car and the regen starts again, mine has only gone to 3 when regen is complete. When it jumped to higher number with interrupted it then started again and went to 3 and its complete.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've interrupted it a few times and it has always resumed and finished. Never seen it jump/skip numbers.

How long did you let it sit between stopping and restarting?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Mine happened in 90 min or so, just stopped for dinner at a restaurant.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
It's a panic regen. What is used as a last resort to prevent it from clogging. It really should warn you...

The panic regen has a minimum timer... can't remember how long... And that's why it regens at 0.

To elaborate more... The regens do start/pause/resume normally. But under some conditions ( I have no idea) it will toss the standard regen, and ask for a new regen. Since the soot mass is above the threshold, it will ask for a last resort regen instead of a traditional regen.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've interrupted it a few times and it has always resumed and finished. Never seen it jump/skip numbers.

How long did you let it sit between stopping and restarting?
The only time I have ever seen it jump numbers was when I stopped in the pre-regen. The past couple weeks I haven't driven it much and it sat for a couple days maybe.

Do you have scan tool ? Any gray error codes ?
No CEL popped up and I didn't think to check for stored codes.

It's a panic regen. What is used as a last resort to prevent it from clogging. It really should warn you...

The panic regen has a minimum timer... can't remember how long... And that's why it regens at 0.

To elaborate more... The regens do start/pause/resume normally. But under some conditions ( I have no idea) it will toss the standard regen, and ask for a new regen. Since the soot mass is above the threshold, it will ask for a last resort regen instead of a traditional regen.
That's interesting. I wonder if it's a mileage threshold or something.

The soot mass seems to be coming back up a bit quicker than usual, but I went through a couple hours of stop and go traffic yesterday, so will keep observing.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
That's interesting. I wonder if it's a mileage threshold or something.

The soot mass seems to be coming back up a bit quicker than usual, but I went through a couple hours of stop and go traffic yesterday, so will keep observing.
It's a complicated mess. German Engineering <3. It's the same system as in a volkswagen, and alot of vehicles. I doubt even think the ones who designed the cruze really know how it works... At least not without consulting a bunch of material first.

And maybe its wrong for me to call it a last resort regen. Its really just a normal regen with an extra flag. I'm sure it happens all the time, but the regen took longer than 20 minutes or whatever it is, so it never mattered...

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a complicated mess. German Engineering <3. It's the same system as in a volkswagen, and alot of vehicles. I doubt even the ones who designed the cruze really know how it works... At least not without consulting a bunch of material first.

And maybe its wrong for me to call it a last resort regen. Its really just a normal regen with an extra flag. I'm sure it happens all the time, but the regen took longer than 20 minutes or whatever it is, so it never mattered...
Whatever it is, it's sort of a good feeling to have a "zero gram" regen. Ever since my last one, I've been averaging over 900 miles per for the past 32K miles.

So the next part of the mystery would be why the previous regen that finished at 15 grams never attempted to resume.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I think it's a timer or by mileage
I don't have a full understanding of the system, so take this with a "gram of soot".

After the delete tune and the removal of the DPF, the soot grams would still increment up and initiate a regen. During this regen, the soot grams would not decrease. Some guys were seeing soot grams as high as 99.

So it seems there is some sort of fuel used/mileage counter feeding the soot grams and that it is more of a derived number and less of an actual representation of total soot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
I really really don't understand why Chevrolet is keeping it secret how DPF cleaning system works. I don't even get the idea of trying to do silent regen without even notifying driver. Once I had quite similar situation. DPF regen started and after 20 mins. on the highway it still did not finish. Eventually CEL came on and I visited my dealer. They could not figure out what happened but said filter is clear and I can keep driving. And even charged me money for the diagnostic.

For that and for many other reasons I had my DPF removed. I am all for keeping nature clear but don't want to pay for that more than anyone else. So, Chevrolet if you want us to go green please support us!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I really really don't understand why Chevrolet is keeping it secret how DPF cleaning system works. I don't even get the idea of trying to do silent regen without even notifying driver. Once I had quite similar situation. DPF regen started and after 20 mins. on the highway it still did not finish. Eventually CEL came on and I visited my dealer. They could not figure out what happened but said filter is clear and I can keep driving. And even charged me money for the diagnostic.

For that and for many other reasons I had my DPF removed. I am all for keeping nature clear but don't want to pay for that more than anyone else. So, Chevrolet if you want us to go green please support us!
@Kalpazan , how did you remove the dpf and still not get CELs? What did you put in its place, straight pipe??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts